No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying this read, mate. Really looking forward to this build progressing. Given me a good kick up the arse to get stuck into mine. 👍

Comment

Cheers for that sham,...
      Moving on,.
      Brought the hatch mz2 home,it had all the interplay bits needed for the restore,lovely seats,gtr Momo steering wheel (optional factory extra)not sure about this but very happy with it,factory tool kit and jack,original jap space saver wheel,and a Nice extra that mz1 didn't have from factory,the front fog lights switches,and the brackets and shorter front bumper grills to allow fog lights to be fitted.Also somthing that mz1 did have,but was removed by the previous owner( for the 1 extra horse power I guess)the full air con system including all the piping and sundries.
      Also and most important,what's under the bonnet,the original engine and gearbox,every bit of the original under bonnet including the quilt to keep the engine warm,and man it runs sweet,it sounds too smooth to be a b series engine,with no tapping at all!,..and no leaking of anything for a car that had been sitting up a long time,the mechanics are as good as any 20+ years car,there's 150km on the clock,and the clocks will be going into mz1 also to stay with the engine.
      The body/paint though,is another story altogether.
      It went into another shed to await engine removal.

Last pics are other factory bits that came with mz2.

-Mazda factory Momo steering wheel
      -Mazda factory radio/cassette player
      -Mazda factory familia 5 mat set
      -Mazda factory jack/wheel brace/toolkit
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-10-2018, 06:16 PM.

Comment

So while waiting for welders advice/expertise,I started to strip away at the interior of mz1,..looking for any sneaky rust,and taking careful notes of anything missing,and or in bad shape.
        Early enthusiasm about removing most of the interior trim from mz2 and switching it to mz1 (centre console and full dash/better condition everything)were soon dashed by the fact that it didn't really match colour wise,and there were a lot scrapes and scuffs on the plastics,and broken damaged clips,not as many as the interior of mz1,but not "near perfect".see pics,(note the centre arm rest purchased from Mazda club member in Germany,mismatched interior plastics,damaged drivers seat,and Momo steering wheel from mz2,...also drivers door card had the arm rest collapsed and fabric detached when I got the car,I spent a week repairing this and it is like new!!),more pics to follow here.
        So started to look and ring around breakers in Ireland for any bg'mazdas that could be raided for parts,saloon/sedan bits that I had were OK,but being hell bent on a complete and perfect restoration and somehow achieving that new car feel,a miracle of some description was needed.
        Needless to say,these bg mazdas are rare these days,not just interplays,even standard hanger versions are gone,and every breaker I contacted was (only after scrapping one)Hmmmm
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-10-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Don't forget sham, that if the parts (from the mz2) are not up to your standards, you can always sell them here or on ebay. Then you can have extra cash to pick and choose which quality parts you want for that new feel.

The interior in the last pic looks mint! is that the mz1?
          1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Lol,..sham,..good stuff
            Ya that's mz1 interior front,with the Momo wheel and arm rest thrown in for a picture,and to give people a feel for why I wasn't happy with the plastic mismatch.most of the pictures in the thread are scabby quality,(taken in shed with phone) will try take better quality pics to edit into the posts again,...Unfortunatly the cars aren't in the garden so haven't continuous access.
            With regards the mz2(hatchback),i got the car for the bits I wanted and couldn't get,and at the time I had the idea of swapping the bits over from both and selling again as a "needs work project",this may still happen,but these cars are so rare here now,I said earlier I've seen maybe 40 in nearly 20 years,(I'm sure there's maybe more than that,but where they're hiding I couldn't say).
            So I just don't have the heart to break it atm,for the few interplay specific bits it has.(and may eventually try to bring this car back to life also)
            -this would be a nice driveway for me-see pic.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

So eventually the welder got some free time to come and view mz1,..
              The bits of rust and welding that needed done,in rear arches and little in the sills and inner floor were no bother he said,bread and butter to him,..but despite saying he could make up new patches for the boot floor,and mangle them in some how,or make up a new wheel well,he strongly advised me to get a whole new panel,or.......
              With some coaxing from me,cut one from another Mazda.either the whole panel or the wheel well bowl inc the flat bit towards the rear seats.

So anyway,with the assurance that I would be on site doing all prep and tidy up.
              He gave me a rough price and time frame,and told me to have all ready to go then,..

As mentioned before,I'm trying to do this on tight budget,..
              But I couldn't help myself and foolishly rang nearest Mazda dealer,to be quoted €319 for a new boot floor,...
              I scoured the net for a cheaper alternative,and the best I could find was £210 from England.
              Still not great,....but.??

So that left plan B.floor cut and or whole panel removed from another car,..

Having previously trawled the net and parts places,and all the internet registered breakers,..I decided to go for a spin out to the sticks.
              To an old school breaker I went to 15 years ago,that wasn't registered online or advertised or tbh I wasn't even sure would be alive as he looked 80 the last time I seen him.

while not doing much breaking anymore,he had a large yard and sheds full of old wreckers.
              One of which he said,may be fit for task,....

. 1992 Mazda 323 Lx (mz3).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

This car (mz3) had been bought in 1992 by a lady and she had owned it and maintained a full service history from new,up until 6 years ago.
                It's an LX,which to anyone outside of Ireland means its extras included power steering,...............
                And basically that's it.
                The head gasket had gone in the car while driving 6 years ago and was moved once in the following 6 years,to a dry shed.when I first saw it I was thinking only of the condition of the boot floor,and it was pretty clean.
                I took a few bits home and had a think,and rang him a few days later to give him a list of what I wanted,inc the floor.he said he was basically too old to go chopping at the car with a grinder,but would gladly deliver it.
                shocked when the car drove off the trailer upon delivery,and sat there purring for a few minutes,it's a 1.3 16v carb,brakes weren't seized as years of breaking habits ment he moved the car every few months.
                Arrived to strip the car the next day with the hopes of a nice clean carpet and hopefully a few nice tidy parts,but just how clean this car was inside is hard to put accoss in this post,or in pictures.
                I never owned one of these from new,but this is as close as I will ever get to it I guess.apart from the faded paint and small amounts of moss and rust,it's factory and every peice of interior is perfect and completely scratch and blemish free,all plastics,centre console and dash,carpet,headliner,boot,there was a receipt from 1998 from a Mazda dealer for 1 hubcap,which shows to me that the only owner didn't stray very far.
                Careful dismantling began,...
                Note-some dust and dirt in car does not reflect actual condition.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Just a few snaps of the complete interior removed from mz3 and ready for transplant,..
                  Pics contain everything that will be going into mz1 ie-everything except the front and back seats,and the electrics equipped door cards.-also steering wheel In pics not going in.
                  (Peices not present are dash,roof skin,carpet,and inside rear boot panel-also the passenger footwell "flare holder" which Irish cars do not have..luckily I have one that matches sourced.
                  not sure of the condition these cars reach members now over 20 years after their production,but this interior is A+ grade.after a soapy water rub down.
                  Some bits to note are.
                  -not 1 scratch on r scuff anywhere(doesn't realy come across in the pics so you'll have to take my word for it)
                  -unused lighter and ash tray
                  -immaculate boot plastics and carpet(with all soundproofing and plastic tabs still there)
                  -mint parcel shlelf(with all soundproofing,clips and buttons)
                  -absolutely 'zero' wear gearknob
                  -completely scratch free ignition surround
                  -**** pic of grey seat belts,(no wear or stains or fraying on any-tbh the back 3 look like they were never used)
                  -fibreboard jack cover,jack bolt,and spare wheel bolt and "wheel retainer" mint!
                  -zero scratches on door kick plates
                  -fully intact cardboard boot thing that isn't falling apart!,..
                  (Pics to follow here)
                  Perfect carpet,headliner,dash.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scrummatron; 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

As interior was removed without incident,i moved on to the exterior.
                    Everything done on all cars to this point (not much realy) had been done with essentially a bicycle socket set,set of cheap spanners and a few screwdrivers.
                    As a proper jack and bigger socket set was called for,Mickey Mouse versions of both were purchased,and they performed admirably on the exterior.
                    I haven't stripped many cars down to shell over the years,but have tampered with every aspect of them mechanically,..usually after someone else had been there before and retightened bolts to a rediculous level.
                    And I have to say having a car that is 25 years old and still had factory tight nuts bolts and screws was an absolute pleasure to dismantle,and could be done by a child.
                    All parts-exterior,engine bay,running gear,and some interior parts not being used on the mz1 re'build are currently for sale in the for sale section.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

good god its just so clean!
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Oh no, not selling the belts?

So jealous of the rear parcel shelf and the rear trunk carpet. Pretty much my last pieces in my black conversion.

I hate taking out the center trim which holds the vents (both parts), on USDM cars people always rip them out incorrectly and have broken tabs and such, seems like you won't have that problem though!

Lookin' good.

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                          good god its just so clean!
                          Honestly,it's like it must've looked when new,no marks anywhere!...(true barn find)
                          Will try get some pics on a better camera when I have it fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
                            Oh no, not selling the belts?

So jealous of the rear parcel shelf and the rear trunk carpet. Pretty much my last pieces in my black conversion.

I hate taking out the center trim which holds the vents (both parts), on USDM cars people always rip them out incorrectly and have broken tabs and such, seems like you won't have that problem though!

Lookin' good.
                            I have the full set of belts from mz1 if you want manual belts,pretty sure they all good-v,good condition.will post pics if u intrested,..
                            Forgot to bring home the mud flaps,another day r 2.
                            Hard to find cars of any age without somthing scratched or broken or stained.
                            Not sure how I'm gonna feel about letting people sit in it when it's done,-(especially the baba's)
                            First mark will be a killer.

Comment

Unfortunately, that is the plight of auto enthusiasm. You could make your patrons sign a release prior to a ride haha.

My A-pillars are actually a tan yellow, and I didn't know grey was the factory color as the previous owner was a heavy smoker.

And for sure I'd be interested in them, just post them up in your F/s thread when you get the chance.

Lookin good!

Comment

So I needed or get the boot floor out,I had toy'd with the idea of cutting inside the rear chassis legs,and just back from the rear chassis brace/member support/bench,then cutting along the fold where it met the rear panel.
                                But as the welder said "get as much of the boot panel as you can",I decided to try and literally get 'the whole panel',which would take a little more effort,(and a lot more angle grinder blades).
                                So I cut out past the chassis legs and around any deviations in the boot panel,straight through the rear chassis brace and up past the boot floor lip along the back panel.
                                -I should note that through being a bit lazy/keen,I got kitted up with ppe,and was literally about to cut when I thought to check for any snags,-petrol tank.
                                That wasn't too bad,and could carefully cut through rear member with it attached,..
                                But the filler neck,where it bent under the boot floor had a large hole the size of a golf ball right under where I was about to start grinding.
                                Will add more info on tidy up process before welding.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Scrummatron; 12-05-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X