No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats a serious chunk to remove. it does look different from what we have in the states.... unless its my imagination
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      thats a serious chunk to remove. it does look different from what we have in the states.... unless its my imagination
      Will trim it down to the actual panel over next couple of days.

The mz3 is an Irish car,but the back of it is identical to the jdm interplay as far as I can see,....
      Apart from the anti'roll bar set up and brace across the rear arms.

Comment

At the risk of this turning into a "dismantle" thread,..
        shafts,hubs,calipers,reservoirs,hoses,gear linkages,steering rack,wiring loom goodies and very crisp gearbox all of which could be useful to mz1 (but are still for sale)removed and carted off to the the cleaners.
        All incident free and do'able with €100 worth of tools.
        Note-the plank,ropes and debris pile to get a bit of seesaw action going.
        Also pictures didn't upload in the correct order so maybe a bit confusing.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

thats the best use of a baby stroller i have ever seen!!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            thats the best use of a baby stroller i have ever seen!!
            Ah,,you mean the "heavy items transportation device"...,only the most advanced technology here..
            Was gonna throw engine in but don't think it would've been able to cope...

Also to anyone reading,this isn't my house in the pictures,it's an old house of a deceased family member that hasn't been lived in for about 15+ years,..
            So pay no heed to the soiled mattresses and buggies just laying around,people were using the garden as a dump for a few years.
            Last edited by Scrummatron; 09-19-2016, 07:27 AM.

Comment

While waiting on the 'busy' welder,I just thought I'd post some other things.
              I can't remember ever seeing an interplay without the jdm factory strut brace,so always kind of assumed it came on the interplay as standard equipment(maybe optional-please clarify this?),and unsurprising it was on mz1 when I got it,as well as some other aftermarket terrible'ness,sparco pedals(for sale),Momo go-karty steering wheel(for sale),and weirdly a ford mondeo gearknob,.white wheels and a cone air filter,all soon to be replaced.
              But when I went to pick up mz2,they brother of the guy who had it had had bought a Mazda factory strut brace on the advice of a friend years before but had never fitted it,and so I reasoned since the car was completely standard,these cars did not come with this from factory.
              Needless to say,I took it anyway and will be keeping one of these on mz1,they are kind of cool and add something to the car,and the under bonnet look.
              I ground off the factory paint and some surface rust,and gave it a few coats of primer,then a few of red.looks good.also as it seemed like a good idea at the time,I gave the radiator mounts the same treatment.
              (May yet undo this to the rad mounts)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Scrummatron; 12-05-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

The grill that came on mz1 had a chunk broken off it,and it was fractured into small bits,which were glued back together,and glued as a chunk back into the hole.(grills for these don't grow on trees)
                And there are several other jdm factory options to think about.
                But for now A duplicate jdm grill was purchased,and after a light sanding,was primed and tucked away to wait it's turn for more attention.
                Note-the piece of pieces is not in the picture.and....
                "for sale,cracked jdm grill" (Cheap!!)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

In the cold light of day,the perfect/nearly perfect seats that came in mz2 were not without their imperfections.As is common on these interiors,particularly if they are neglected for a while,is that the rubber flocking coated headrest support bar surrounds,ie the springy looking rubber things,get a bit mangy.and in extreme cases,crack through to the rubber.(see pic)
                  This is another thing I will be side stepping in my factory resto,as they don't come up for sale often/ever,and they are probably a rediculous price from Mazda(if they even had them).I decided to just remove the flocked stuff altogether and leave just the gloriously clean rubber there without it.
                  This was accomplished at a snails pace and is an ongoing process,with the help of a mild glue softener,and warm/hot water,and a lot of picking.
                  Eventually they come up realy nice and clean(last pics),and unless I miraculously get a perfect set of these in a lucky bag,they will be staying as plain rubber.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scrummatron; 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Those seats are pure sex. If they aren't up to your standards.. I could always go broke buying them

I'm pretty sure all the GTX came with the front strut bar optional, but that's because I assume in Japan there wasn't as much as a "dealer option" market unlike here in the states.

I always see the front GTX struts for sale, but never a rear. I'd love a rear to make it look wholesome with the front!

And where are these Sparco pedals....
                    1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
                      Those seats are pure sex. If they aren't up to your standards.. I could always go broke buying them

I'm pretty sure all the GTX came with the front strut bar optional, but that's because I assume in Japan there wasn't as much as a "dealer option" market unlike here in the states.

I always see the front GTX struts for sale, but never a rear. I'd love a rear to make it look wholesome with the front!

And where are these Sparco pedals....
                      A lot more to follow on these seats/interior,and to anyone reading,I am currently in the market for any and all factory options and accessories that were available for these cars,the jdm ones.And also any period extras that weren't factory options,things like
                      Mazda air cleaner
                      Car tidy bin
                      Burger tray
                      Luggage bag thing
                      Period Mazda CD player,and mega rarE tv thing.
                      Feel free to comment with any others you may know of,-

The sparco pedals,Momo steering wheel and 'mondeo' gearknob are visible in the first pics(for sale pics)of mz1,can take throw them in the post if you want to own some mz1 bits??,...cheap!
                      Last edited by Scrummatron; 12-05-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Just a couple of other things that someone other than me might find interesting/amazing.
                        Having owned a few of these and seen a gud few more here and there,-but never owned or seen a "new" one,.I have seen the usual bits and pieces of splash guards that are left on these cars after just a few years,and it's usually not much,...or in bad/awful shape....

But here in Ireland,they are usually in bits and non functional...due to the crappy roads,drivers and mechanics.
                        However as with nearly everything else from mz3,the splash guards were all there and still in mint condition,.and removable without wrecking them.....(as far as I can tell they're all that came on these cars,if anyone knows of another one or pair that I'm missing,...."dive on in".
                        These will all be going onto mz1 after engine transplant.
                        1-front wheel arch pair
                        2-front drive shaft pair
                        -back bumper pair
                        3-under engine pair (the support brace thing goes between them)
                        4,5-the fuel filler neck splash guard.
                        Note-I think there may be a grill/slam panel splash guard maybe some expert can clarify,...I have never seen this piece.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scrummatron; 12-05-2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

So back to the seats,...the new aim here is to make 2 perfect seats out of 4.
                          I originally thought when I was buying mz2 that the front seats were 'mint',they are good-very good,...but,...
                          As you may have seen,the driver seat in mz1 had a busted lower bolster with a gud rip and the beginnings of ripping/bad wear on the side bolster,the busted lower bolster as you all may know happens when your fitting a stereo or messing around with the door card or basically sitting or lieing sideways in the seat,(as it is not designed to take this top down stress)

So that driver seat is a write off.(pic1)
                          The passenger seat from mz1 (as with most passenger seats) is totally perfect,minus a split headrest rubber....(pic2-3)
                          The drivers seat from mz2 is in very good shape realy,(for a 23 year old,bucket style seat)there are 2 tiny wear points on the side bolster where the thread is worn through,and the bolster itself is a little weak,and has some sun fade crease lines from the front seat being in a fully forward and flat position for years,with weight on the back(potted plants,..grrrr),but overall in good shape.(pic4)
                          And finally the passenger seat from mz2 in very good/perfect condition.(pic4)
                          Obviously,the flocked rubber headrest support covers were all manky.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Scrummatron; 12-05-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrummatron View Post
                            So back to the seats,...the new aim here is to make 2 perfect seats out of 4.
                            I originally thought when I was buying mz2 that the front seats were 'mint',they are good-very good,...but,...
                            As you may have seen,the driver seat in mz1 had a busted lower bolster with a gud rip and the beginnings of ripping/bad wear on the side bolster,the busted lower bolster as you all may know doesn't happen from sitting into and getting out of the car(properly,maybe it does if your huge and you have to sit in sideways first),it happens when your fitting a stereo or messing around with the door card or basically sitting or lieing sideways in the seat,(as it is not designed to take this top down stress)
                            Wear however,just happens,...and is a killer.
                            So that driver seat is a write off.(pic1)
                            The passenger seat from mz1 (as with most passenger seats) is totally perfect,minus a split headrest rubber....(pic2-3)
                            The drivers seat from mz2 is in very good shape realy,(for a 23 year old,bucket style seat)there are 2 tiny wear points on the side bolster where the thread is worn through,and the bolster itself is a little weak,and has some sun fade crease lines from the front seat being in a fully forward and flat position for years,with weight on the back(potted plants,..grrrr),but overall in good shape.(pic4)
                            And finally the passenger seat from mz2 in very good/perfect condition.(pic4)
                            Obviously,the flocked rubber headrest support covers were all manky.
                            Had to upload pics like this due to somthing f*****g up.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Scrummatron; 09-28-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

After contacting the only upholster for 50 miles and a prolonged discussion,the best advice he could give me was to,..(stay with me here)

Take the cover off the mz2 driver seat,and lightly reinforce the side bolster.(the bottom/seat pieces are not realy interchangeable,without a serious headache,as I tried this myself before years ago,and the seat was never right after,..also there are holes in the fabric for the seat mechanisms on one side)
                              Then take the cover off one of the passenger seats,and use that on the mz2 driver seat-to make a 97% perfect drivers seat.-3% minus for the sun faded creases on the lower bolster-for mz1.
                              Then basically use whatever passenger seat was left over as the passenger seat for mz1.
                              As there was a tiny/minuscule hole on the seat piece of mz1 passenger seat,I will be using the mz2 passenger seat as the mz1 seat.

While waiting to get going on the seats ,I impulsively purchased some 1990's Mazda dealership iron on work patches,and was going to maybe have red stitching done around them,round off the corners,and fix them to the front and back seats in the usual spots,to sex up the interior.maybe the madzee interior is sexy enough",.....

Anyone got an opinion?,..then "dive on in".

obviously,I just threw it on for a couple of quick pics,and it would be trimmed and stitched,...and of course,.."straight!!".
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Scrummatron; 12-05-2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Another couple of seat issues now,...might seem like I'm ranting a bit,but I'm trying to be very thorough..and have a lot of these type of posts to come.(but if I'm posting a lot of "we don't want to know!?" Nonsense,someone let me know)...

So the seats are now at the upholster,and will be done in a week or 2,I'm in no rush ATM for them as have other things on the go,...one of which is the brackets for the front seats.
                                The front of the brackets,where the 2 bolts hold the bracket to the floor,has been rusty/bubbly on everyone on these cars I've owned previously,which has always done my head in when I was cleaning the cars.Rust is maybe the wrong word,but is there a word for that spiders web type bubbling thing that happens?,...
                                Maybe this only happens in damp climates,but all the Irish cars have it in some shape or form.removing the seat brackets,stripping and painting and re'greasing them is best bet(and will soon be done by my interplay friend in his thread).
                                But why bother,when the seat brackets from mz3 are in such very good condition,...almost factory condition.(I did chip a Tiny bit of paint off one with overzealous ratcheting).
                                However,I realised instantly (after never paying much attention before) that the front belt systems in mz1+mz2 were not the same as mz3.-the belt buckles in the interplays,and in the gtr and some other models,are those foot long springy things that kinda invade the rear passengers foot space(pic1)the buckles in mz3,were half the length and attached directly to the perfect front seat bracket,via an incorporated extra steel piece.(pic2)
                                My first thought was to cut off the extra piece,and keep the springy buckles in place,to be to be as OEM as possible.and to just switch over the 5 belts and three rear buckles.but a test click with the buckle/belt combos revealed that the jdm and edm belts and buckles are not interchangeable for some reason.ie the mz1 buckles won't hold onto the mz3 belts.hmmmmmm,.....
                                As a willing buyer was instantly found for the manual belts from mz1,and I was loath to send the cleaner belts,or a set of front buckles that wouldn't work for him and just forget about it,the difficult decesion was reached to send the mz1/gt belts(as he called them).and put the full set of belts from mz3,including the buckles fixed to the seat brackets into mz1.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X