Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]68770[/ATTACH]

On the keys, yours are much different than mine, and I'm kind of jealous -_-

I actually just bought a full lockset on Ebay a month ago (included trunk, left/right front doors, ignition cylinder, and trunk). It wasn't bad at about 100 USD. I think it was worth it, although some of the locks can be a pain, it was a good learning experience as the design is basically the same across 90's cars.

When you bought a Protege at the dealer, you received (2) Master Keys, (1) "Valet" key, and (1) I.D. tag. The black one pictured is one of my masters, with the valet key that is bare and non-rubber. The purpose of the dinky valet key is that it cannot open the glove box, and I believe gas cap (if you have one) and possibly trunk (haven't tried). This is the key you give to people you don't trust.

The tag, from what I've been told after buying multiple key sets, is to help when you lock yourself out or lose a key so that the dealer can make it to your lock specifics. I think the number corresponds to the design of the key and how the lock cylinder wafers are constructed but that is just a huge guess. The tags are really important nowadays with the advent of chipped keys that are much more difficult to replace.

I really like the square keys over the round USDM ones. I wonder if that is just IDM or if it's the earlier models? I have a spare new trunk lock that I didn't use and is sitting around which has a square type key. Personally I like those better....
    Cheers sham,your a fountain of obscure information,keep it coming.
    I'm not 100% sure about nearly everything I'm writing in this thread,90-99% maybe on a lot of it,as I keep trying to emphasise,I'm not an "expert",more an experienced enthusiast,and on the keys,I'm literally repeating what a dealer told me years ago,but he was an Irish dealer.(and a dodgy one at that)
    But maybe every market had its own version of keys,someone in the know might clear it up.
    Do Usdm cars have locking glove boxes then?,I've had a good few of these from Irish and Japanese markets,and Irish cars have it,Japanese don't in my experience,......but?...?
    Maybe higher spec cars had it,only owned 1 gtx and can't exactly remember if it did.
    Anyway,I think you'll agree,I'd be crazy not to swap out the whole set for these,they're mint!!

Comment

Yup, that metal tag is your key code. I can cut your key with that number. If you look at both keys you'll see that they are very similar except for like 1 cut. Looks like the closest to the tip on yours is different, meaning the key will turn in one lock and not another. As you said, glove box/trunk/gas cap.

Newer cars are easy to get codes for (for a licensed locksmith). Each make/model has a website we can purchase codes from. Older cars didnt have todays technology so most of the keycodes are lost in paperwork at some random dealerships office/buyers glove box.

New Nissans have a two factor PIN that you need website in code/outcodes to program. Newer Chrysler products have a pin number assigned with each key code to program the key. I can even do new laser cut keys like to new fords and also Proximity keys where you just leave the key in your pocket and push the button to start the car. Its pretty neat.

////end threadjack

Comment

////Thread jack appreciated
        Maybe no one cares,but on the advice/expertise of this expert above(clearly a locksmith of sorts),I went and had a wee check over the keys,to see if they are similar to what he said.
        It's blatantly obvious that "one" key was only used "ever!!",.it is quite worn,...the other 2 are like new,with no marks or wear of any kind
        Behold,there does seem to be a tiny difference on the ends of the smaller keys to the big key with the Mazda number.
        See pics-
        Honestly,it looks like there is an extra notch on the end of the smaller keys,or was on one but has worn off so much that it is a bit of a struggle to open the glove box with it,however the big key without the notch,opens it with ease,and turns all the locks the best out of the 3.
        Basically,they all open all the locks!,...or all turn the same amount in each direction and pull out the same,...except the worn key that has trouble with the glovebox.
        (Obviously they are currently not in a car,but don't think this would make a difference??)maybe it will,we will see when they go in,...very intrigued by this now.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Scrummatron; 10-12-2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Anyway,il put a pin in that one for now.
          Another small annoyance was that the cup holder/storage box piece had been butchered beyond salvation to install a rediculous DVD player in the past,in mz1.(part of the reason for the original search for a parts car)
          The storage box and cup holder piece was completely gone,and the one from mz2 was complete,but wouldn't match the complete new interior from mz3.
          Since the cup holder piece is just black in colour,and obviously didn't come in mz3 since it was an Irish Lx,..switching it over was necessary.

Pic1-the 3 different centre centre consoles,mz1 nearest,mz2 middle,mz3 furthest.

Note-I used the snap on hair dryer again to gently soften the sides of the box,so the tray would wobble out easily,as I'm a worrier about these brittle plastics.
          Also,the 'push' button on the idm car is white,maybe they all are,but wear off over time.and the cup holder writing on the actual sliding tray,is raised plastic,I think this is supposed to be white also,as it was on other jdm cars I had before,so will have to touch it up.
          And lastly,the idm storage box has 2 extra support screws in the bottom that the jdm car didn't have,or have brackets for.strange.
          Attached Files

Comment

Keys are cool. I actually manage a repossession company and locksmithing really just helps. Its not our main focus at all.

Your key code: 10381.
            This is a 10 cut key. The cuts are 4545252145. Mazda did a cool thing thats unique. Their cuts are always an odd/even/odd/even or even/odd/even/odd. See pic below, on the right I highlighted the common key blank, MZ-27.
            Your key:

Comment

Oddly enough, the second set of keys looks like the key code is 10831. (if I deciphered the cuts correctly using your pictures)

Comment

where the F did you get a program like that
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

////thread jack ended,...it appears,..
                  Have to say as well that it is a little off putting that someone can look at your key and easily copy it from memory,...
                  I will check if all my keys work all my locks when they are installed,and report back Incase anyone cares.

As mentioned earlier,final bits of stripping of the interior was completed,inc totally removing headliner and carpet(didn't find any cool Japanese coins under it,but did find a Lego cop),..pic1,.as car was goin to welders I wanted a nice clean slate when it came back,as almost completely new interior ready to go in.

One thing I didn't have,to match the interior from mz3 was the jdm only passenger footwell flare holder,Irish cars don't have a flare,so the piece of plastic that it should've been on in mz3 was bare,and as the pieces a-didn't match,b-were broken one that matched the interior colour code of mz3 was sourced and arrived,very clean piece....pic 2/3

Another thing to mention,just to tie up another loose end,is the difference in the idm/jdm headliners.
                  The mz1 headliner had,not sure what to call them-courtesy handles-(the interior handles above the door Windows)only in the back,and these were made of plastic,while the mz3 headliner had handles front and back,these were made of leather,or somthing similar.i will be attempting to fit the very clean mz3 headliner into mz1,and will be fitting 4 plastic handles,as the holes for them are already there.
                  Note-I got the 2 other plastic handles from mz2

And virtually rounding off the interior trim,obviously the jdm sun visors from mz1 would have reused or replaced but are necessary,if not for the Japanese nonsense,the defo for the large DOHC slapped in the middle of it.
                  Passenger 1 is missing its flap.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Just a few pics of the gud madzee in the fresh air before going to welders,late of course.
                    Notice the Crocked stance from the front,the front right Spring had a piece broken off it when I got it,so it sits about 1 1/2-2 inches lower,(forgot to mention this earlier)(and there is a booster pack under the bonnet so not as bad as it looks in pics)
                    And a few grainy ones of the engine bay,inc painted strut for effect.
                    Note-the az3 engine exhaust manifold holes mentioned earlier.
                    ,and the terribleness that occurred when the arches were,rolled?,..possibly with a rolling pin.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Scrummatron; 10-15-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I think Pox has some keys to cut for me in the future

I am also jealous of the sunvisors, I sure wish I had kanji labels... Do the door panels have the warning label on them as well? Most of the JDM vehicles have extra gibberish labels on the door panel.

And that kick panel is so cool! I don't think I've seen a BG with that, guess I'll be looking harder at those RHD clips.....

Coming along quite nice.
                      1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Oh by the way, how do you like the GT (GTX/GTR) seats? The side bolstering looks great but are they as comfortable as the original LX seats? I purchased JDM sti bucket seats for my 2.5RS a while back, and as sexy as they were, they were extremely uncomfortable on long rides. Ever since I've been very careful about just jumping and buying bucket seats.

Comment

Oh by the way, how do you like the GT (GTX/GTR) seats? The side bolstering looks great but are they as comfortable as the original LX seats? I purchased JDM sti bucket seats for my 2.5RS a while back, and as sexy as they were, they were extremely uncomfortable on long rides. Ever since I've been very careful about just jumping and buying bucket seats.
                          "Kanji labels?",...I see,...lol
                          As I said earlier,I'm very familiar with the jap imports and there miscellaneous differences and nic'nacs,but I'm not "au fait" with a lot of the cool/correct names for things like that,...my term would be "that plastic Japanese writing bit on the sun visor",
                          It has the info label on the door too,but tbh I've literally seen jap labels and stickers "everywhere" on imports in the past,who knows if there all factory or stuck on,I've never picked up a new car from a jap dealer,and can't read Japanese so no idea what they said.
                          Pretty sure the flare holder,or something to mount a flare on is standard,or was standard for jdm cars,only!?,...
                          Not sure tbh,but have seen hundreds of imports and they've all had something,...or something removed that held a flare.

As for the seats,I've always liked them,had these type seats in several cars in the past,and they have been kind.
                          Have had terrible seats too in a lot of cars,but there's something about these old school jap interiors that I realy like in general,jap gti swift,early Gsr lancer to name a couple,...something changed in seat fabrics since then,they're just not the same.
                          If your on about Subaru sti seats,the guy doing work on the car ATM has mk1 Subaru sti buckets as his office chairs.

Comment

HA! I've seen someone do the same thing with 300zx "office chairs" pretty cool thing. Have you sat in said chair? My MK1 seats were about as comfortable as a park bench after 30 minutes lol.

Kanji is just complicated japanese writing system usually reserved for technical/less practical things. Hiragana is the more common writing system and katakana is what the kids learn.

And yes, the older Jap seat fabrics are of great quality. A lot of detail went into the stitching, and I'm sure someone who is an expert fabric will tell you how amazing it is, but you can really just appreciate all the cross stitching, colors, patterns, etc. on production seats. The LX seats are actually very comfy, especially in the middle (at least here in USDM land); has a very interestingly smooth yet breathable fabric.

Since I'm nerding/geeking on about seats, have you ever come across the suede(velour?) Efini (infini?) "GT" style fancy front bucket seats?

Comment

HA! I've seen someone do the same thing with 300zx "office chairs" pretty cool thing. Have you sat in said chair? My MK1 seats were about as comfortable as a park bench after 30 minutes lol.

Kanji is just complicated japanese writing system usually reserved for technical/less practical things. Hiragana is the more common writing system and katakana is what the kids learn.

And yes, the older Jap seat fabrics are of great quality. A lot of detail went into the stitching, and I'm sure someone who is an expert fabric will tell you how amazing it is, but you can really just appreciate all the cross stitching, colors, patterns, etc. on production seats. The LX seats are actually very comfy, especially in the middle (at least here in USDM land); has a very interestingly smooth yet breathable fabric.

Since I'm nerding/geeking on about seats, have you ever come across the suede(velour?) Efini (infini?) "GT" style fancy front bucket seats?
                              Ya I sat In them for a min,they're pretty comfortable,but have had several subaru's myself of all types and hav not had an issue,everyone has a different preference though,..
                              Not gone on the "stool" type seats on very standard cars from this era,...but most newer cars have some kind of side bolstering these days,just the type of fabric is so glossy and stiff,..not sure how to itterate this point,but you kind of know what I'm getting at.

Have never come accross familia efini myself here in Ireland,a guy I was talking to recently said he saw a dark green familia for sale for big money a few years ago,so there must be at least one knocking around somewhere.and I seen a set of front seats from one of them for sale on yahoo auctions a while back,...think $600-$800 usd they sold for.
                              As I mentioned before,I haven't exactly been scouring the land(esp in the past 5 years)but haven't seen many of these cars over the years,....maybe 60,70 cars altogether of just interplays,Gt,gtx and gtr's...and a couple of supreme's
                              (As I said,there must be more,I live in the sticks,but have been to all the shows and rally's up until 5 years ago,and Ireland not all that big)seen hundreds of standard versions and Astinas.
                              I know that type of interior is absolutely lush though,I had a limited edition bluebird turbo SR years ago and it was a classy job,somthing similar,that suede velour type.....mmmmmmmm,smooth
                              Last edited by Scrummatron; 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Eventually the car was picked up to go to the welders garage,(wanted a pic of this for posterity,but it was picked up in the middle of the night),..
                                Obviously most "build threaders" have their own welders handy,but unfortunately due to going off cars for a few years and financial constraints and the like,...I do not.

Also,I had to pay my friend for his time,experience,and equipment.
                                So the plan was for me to prep ahead of him,he slap the metal in and do a bit of moulding,and I'd follow and tidy up.and repeat the process on each piece.
                                It's always been the plan to get the metal in quickly,(cos I have to pay)and I can spend as long as I want cleaning and tidying in my own time in the shed,as this is the most time consuming aspect.

First up,the "not quite jdm wheel well".
                                I have to say first that he did have a wee laugh when he seen the chunk of mz3 I brought with me,...clearly when he said "as much of the panel as possible",..he didn't think I would take him as literally as I did.we chatted about this for a few minutes,and it was agreed that financially it was a bit much to completely switch the panels,a lot of drilling,grinding,cutting and the like was on the cards,...and he just didn't have the time,...and either did I.
                                As most of the panel is completely sound,a suitable place for blending the welds was chosen,....and off we went.

Note-bit of tidy up,grinding and sanding still to do,will post pic of finished article before recoat with por15.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X