No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't updated in a week r so but work constantly ongoing on all fronts,tho work/family and poor daylight/no decent lights in shed holding things up a bit,..hard to get anything definitive to post pictures of,but here's a few and some updates.
    Pedal box frame joined a large basket of bits to be sandblasted,as don't want to "paint over rust" anywhere,and can't get into its many crevices.
    Also phone and pad not connecting for some reason so will be a lot of short posts-so I can add pics with phone again.
    First done clean up on only panel patch in floor,started passenger rear arch stripping,found lot of pitting in the top of arch,totally hidden by underseal,and in the same place as got patches on the other side.-apart from that,all good so far.
    Note-other pics were crap so more to come here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-15-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Cut slots in the blind bolts holding the old ignition in place,removed and installed the new one(mz3 one).too dark when there to start doors but will soon.
      Note-cleaned off the rust on the top of bracket and gave it a spray,..pic to follow.
      Attached Files

Comment

One of mz1's indicators had a crack,and one of mz3's had a scuff,..so have to use one of each for the final light set,...
        No cracks or damage on any of these lights,..pretty immaculate condition,...
        However,the jap plastic headlights have been "restored" in the past,as the keen eyed will notice in the last pic,..lots of tiny splits in the clear coat,..will eventually try get a set if glass ones,but will "restore" these jdm ones again til I can locate a handy rhd glass set.
        Note-not sure I noticed before this that the connection wires for the lights on Irish and jdm cars are quite different,so had to swap over on indicator/corner winker bulb holders.
        Attached Files

Comment

Cleaned up the carpet I salvaged from mz3,...
          Have to say,it's hands down the cleanest and least worn carpet I've ever seen from a car with any kind of use,Ie.10+ years of use.pictures can never realy do it justice,but it is "immaculate",.."realy!!!".
          Well it is now,there was a pretty big blob of tar in the passenger side rear footwell,but the tar remover made short work of it.
          Washed it a lot,but didn't want to "scrub" it,as I didn't want to scrub out the carpet machine lines in it that are visible everywhere.
          Note-not sure if this is the reason,but it came from an Irish car,and has one of them drivers footwell wear reduction pads.
          Also have the covers to fill in the holes in it where the "gt" belts would've gone.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-16-2016, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Not sure why but pics uploading wonky,..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-16-2016, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I could've got away with just washing the pedals themselves,as the were close to mint,....but the Brake and clutch pedals had the beginnings of the under paint spiders web rust thing,originating from very untidy factory welds,..and those little balls of weld that spray out were everywhere on them.
              Nobody would probably ever notice these,but I cleaned them all down and sprayed them back up,..
              Note-Like everything small I paint,I cooked them on front of the fire for a while on low heat.
              Will prob need to get a brake pedal rubber to complete the factory mint-ness,but accelerator and clutch are perfect.
              Attached Files

Comment

After almost 2 months,the spoiler bracket arrived from Japan,...cost €30 but badly needed--
                Had to talk the nearest Mazda parts manager into ordering it almost,as he's been burned by ordering jap parts before and people not paying for them when they arrive,or them not being correct,"particularly for spoilers and options".
                And since there was 5 spoiler schematics for BG saloon spoilers that all looked the same in diagrams,it took a bit of coaxing.
                Other bits shouldn't be as big of a problem/worry he said.
                Last pic is the set,primed one currently cooking.
                Attached Files

Comment

In my search for the optional extras I turned up this Mazda in car air cleaner/purifier "locally".
                  I seen a good few of these coming into Ireland in grey imports over the years,and have seen a different one to this in a supreme spec jdm car I looked at years ago,but they do seem to be "very" rare at the minute.
                  The person I got it off got it in another interplay familia,that had a lot of factory extras,wind deflectors,bug eye grill,arm rest to name a few and the bracket,switch,parcel shelf mounts and wires/connectors look OEM for sure.
                  very little info to be had on these.
                  Anyone who can verify anything about these,please...dive on in.
                  Either way,very happy with this,and it goes nicely with the arm rest,steering wheel,familia 5 mat set and front fogs set up as options that will add to the finished car in my opinion.
                  Still looking for a couple of others though.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-11-2019, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Where does that car air cleaner go?
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                      Where does that car air cleaner go?
                      This one goes on the rear shelf,the brackets clamp it to the metal panel that holds the speakers.(pic-1)have seen most there,tho I have seen a couple attached to the roof on jdm cars in pics,years ago.Hadn't realy planned on finding one so handy,so it was a real bonus.
                      The previous owner said it was crowding up his rear shelf so never realy took to it,he had speakers there too and a brake light.Of course I'm open to a couple of tasteful jdm "period" aftermarket extras,like the jdm pioneer speakers,and was going to search them out,preferably these rare boxy minters(pic-2),and had a set of Irish "period" goodmans speakers ready as stand ins till I could source them,for that "just off the boat into Ireland" look. (pic-3,4)
                      Not sure weather speakers and air cleaner are the way to go just yet,...if you have an opinion?,..
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-17-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Messed around another bit with the filling and sanding on the passenger side,just while I was waiting for space(and a loan of a good socket set to disassemble the rear).realy just killing time as will have to a lot of dent filling and sanding in good daylight as there are small dents everywhere,on all panels,...
                        Had to switch to steel wheels to ease movement and removal.i had been hitting all bolts with penetrating spray once a week for the past 2 months as I was expecting a tough time,surely it couldn't go as well as mz3,as every bolt was only factory tight and was a pleasure from start to finish.
                        Moved madzee into the centre of shed to get cracking on the underbody,to get in there the fuel tank and rear axle had to be remove,o she had to get proper high.
                        This took quite a while as things do when your tools are terrible and space is tight.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-19-2016, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Cracked on with axle removal,this went well,until the last bolt broke off realy easily,....killer.
                          Having worked on a lot of minis and other rust buckets over the years,I am well used to this kind of heartbreak,and a few builds grind to a halt due to broken bolts in awkward places.
                          the one small mercy is that it probably won't be too hard to drill out and re-tap,and I'm hopeful that I can get it done with the right equipment.
                          Al other brackets,bolts and the likes came away without too much struggle.
                          And then the tank slipped out to reveal no nasty surprises,...surface rust here and there,which will make clean up under there quick and straightforward.
                          Also the petrol tank and breather set up were in good shape and won't take too much work.
                          Note-the last pic shows the typical elliptical wear pattern of chassis to member bolts,(I'm only showing this because I noticed lately that "spoon rigid chassis collars" are available now for the BG Mazda,not sure how long these are available,but they weren't 15 years ago when I wanted to invent them!!,..."f**k it anyway!!".)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pics of the underbody,bits of rust mainly on the brackets and such,..
                            Will grind the chassis legs down to metal and por15 them,and give the brackets some extra love,but the belly is in good shape.
                            Note-the orange stuff is exhaust rust water.and good daylight is becoming an issue,need to source some good lights.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-19-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Good spoiler bracket set.
                              Attached Files

Comment

spoon rigid chassis collar?
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X