$5 Fix For Your GTX Shifter Cable Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$5 Fix For Your GTX Shifter Cable Bushings

So a few weeks ago I was heading to work and the shifter cable pulled out of the peg on the transmission due to a very worn rubber bushing. It rendered the car useless.

After calling my good friend who works for Mazda, he confirmed that these cables are NLA and when they were available they were in the $200 range.

So after pondering some options to fix it, I wandered into my local O'Reileys parts store and came up with a solution, it literally takes an hour of your time and $5.

I bought these generic rubber bushings for a wiper motor that have the exact outer diameter and also inner diameter for the metal guide sleeve.

I pressed out the old sleeve from worn Mazda bushing and inserted into the new rubber piece I bought from O'Reileys. I also epoxied it all in place to make sure it would not separate over time and then found a stainless washer of the appropriate diameter and drilled out the center to fit the peg on the transmission. All this work was done with the cable in the car, no need to remove anything.

And voila! Back to running again

Worn OE Mazda bushing on left below:

Right arrow show the new retainer stainless washer to keep everything together and the left arrow shows the new rubber bushing in place.

Hope this helps you guys!

Yasin
    Last edited by slownrusty; 10-08-2016, 10:19 AM.

Drove around 8 miles yesterday with the new bushing and everything is working great, nice and tight and shifts great.

Comment

Great work around.
      1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
      1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
      2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
      1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Great discovery! Thank you!

'88 GT
        '88 GTX
        '85 Toyota Cressida 5-Speed
        '88 323 GT