Engine missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine missing

Engine on the 2002 P5 was missing and jerking the car when cruising on the free way or under acceleration once the engine had warmed up. Check engine light was flashing also. I changed plugs, leads and ignition coils and it seems super sluggish now by comparison, and the check engine light is still flashing. Haven't managed to test it getting hot yet, just round the block. Will add comment when I do that later. Could it be the fuel injectors??? Any other ideas???

Drove it for a 10-15 miles. Check engine light continually flashing, engine feels like it's struggling but not jerking and missing anymore.

Comment

to me it sounds like your VTCS or VICS screws fell out & went through the engine. do a compression test on it
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I heard that was an issue on some p5s and there was a recall on those effected. As I've had the car since new I assumed that we would have heard about this from the dealer if our car was one of those that needed to be fixed. Is this not the case?

Second question of course if what the eff do / can I do about it if that has happened??? I assume the consequences are not desirable?

Comment

Just checked and as far as i can find teh 2002 P5s didnt have an issue with that it was the 2003s. Am i worng or just finding dud information online?

Comment

Got a check engine code p0302. Misfiring on cylinder #2. I made sure the connections were all good on to the new ignition coils and tried it again. Seems a bit better but still sluggish and CEL still flashing😡. Wondering what else it could be.

Comment

the dealer made a recall for a specific range (which was far too small) as the issue actually effected all of these engines from day 1 off the factory line.
              if you have integral damage from such a thing your options are limited- finding a late model 626 engine as a replacement would be your best bet. the FS engine from those utilized a different intake manifold system that did not have the same issues.

#1 pull your spark plugs & post up detail pictures of the electrode side.
              #2 run a compression test
              #3 swap around your coilpacks and see if the issue changes holes. If so thats an easy fix (purchase coilpacks from ebay)

keep your head up & post updates
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

So it turned out that one of the new coils I fitted a few days ago was bad out of the box. Tried putting a new one on cylinders 2 & 3 and problem went away. Interestingly, as I use my car for work and note mileage and fuel consumption, when driving on 3 cylinders for a week I have hit 33 mpg. Highest for a while.

Comment

so its just a coil issue?? if so thats GREAT news.

Comment

Working...
                  X