GTX seat fitment issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX seat fitment issues

So I bought some GTX seats off Ebay and had them shipped from Canada.

When they got here, the driver side (LHD pass.) rails were broken and I believe bent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161024_200304.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	1274066

Name:	20161024_200348.jpg
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	1274067

I swapped the LX rails onto the driver seat, and it pretty much bolted up. The part on the driver's side (pass. side on RHD vehicle) that broke was the YO MAD TYTE "LET ME OUT THIS BACK SEAT IT'S REALLY CRAMPED BACK HERE, OMG LET ME OUT" JDM SUPER SWEET REAR LEVER FOLD DOWN LEVER; so I no longer have that.

Then I opened up the passenger seat.

Name:	20161024_201130.jpg
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	1274065

The seat didn't fit on the original rails so I went ahead and--you guessed it, swapped my LX rails on.

The only problem is that even with the LX rails on the pass. (RHD driver seat), the seat leans inward towards the center console (actually touches it); the bolts do pretty much line up though with the LX rails on.

So my question is, I know that most people will get the CDN "GT" seats, and swap them onto their proteges no problem. So is my seat just fu**** or because of the AWD tunnel in GTXs, the seats mount differently to the floor pan?

I have no idea how I will get my money back on this, so I'd like to try and save the seats. The only thing I can think of is to swap my bottom cushion pan from the LX (will be a pain in the a**) onto the GTX seats.. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 10-26-2016, 03:11 PM.
    1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Again sham,I'm not an expert,but all them seats are a bit wonky out of the car,..cos one of the rear bolts is at a different height that the others,....
    Can't say anything about the mounts in your car or the rails,but I had 2 sitting here for a few weeks and every time I looked at them they seemed Crocked,but they were perfect in the car.there is a big bracket that bolts to the floor that levels this "warping" of the arse piece out,did u get this or do you have in your car already?
    To my mind this is the leveller that straightens them out.
    Unless they fell or were abused in transit,or were in a crash,or one seat was continuously sat in be a 25 stone person they shouldn't be warped.
    But they look in such good condition it's hard to believe that.
    Have a spare set of floor brackets there,that the seat brackets bolt too,will send a pic soon.

Comment

Hey sham, thanks for the reply that helps a lot. I don't think I recieved this leveler that helps flatten the seat mounting. Pictures would be appreciated!

Also, do you have any pictures of the bottom of the seat (bottom seat pan) without rails? On my pass. (RHD driver) side, the actual bottom of the seat is not as "tall" as it is on the right side. I'll send pictures later today.

Comment

I got by using a combination between MX3 & LX rails to level out the seat. i encourage some investigation there.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
          Hey sham, thanks for the reply that helps a lot. I don't think I recieved this leveler that helps flatten the seat mounting. Pictures would be appreciated!

Also, do you have any pictures of the bottom of the seat (bottom seat pan) without rails? On my pass. (RHD driver) side, the actual bottom of the seat is not as "tall" as it is on the right side. I'll send pictures later today.
          Ya sham,maybe tomorrow or the next day,but will get pics of the brackets,the go on the rear tunnel side of each front seat and raise the height of that piece a couple of inches about,....
          Again,don't cite me on this,but I think it's something to do with the tunnel being a different on 4wd cars,and if those seats came from a 4wd car they might not have had those brackets and the back inside seat bracket bolts would've bolted to the different shaped floor.(because of the tunnel)---maybe
          Some expert on here is bound to know this for cert though,....
          And again,I'm only speaking for cars I've seen myself,Irish,U.K. And Japanese,maybe different on Usdm cars,or Canadian for that matter.
          Can't get my head around the second issue ur on about,pics would help me give my two cents.

Comment

Yeah I might take you up on that offer. I have to see how hard it will be to cut out my own bolt hole from the sheet metal of the A-pillar. I'm thinking just square cuts with a little space both above and below the holes.. Plasma cutters would be nice :D

What I mean about the seats is that when I set down the driver's side (RHD pass. side) seat on a flat surface, and without any rails attached, the metal bottom of the GTX seat sits flush against the smooth surface. However when I set the pass. side (RHD Driver side) seat, it sits askew and is not flush with the surface. Is this the case for your GTX seats without rails?

Will take pics tommorow, not sure if that makes sense! I think I might just be missing this piece you are referring to....

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
              I got by using a combination between MX3 & LX rails to level out the seat. i encourage some investigation there.
              Could you give a better description here? MX-3 chassis are almost absent at any FL junkyard or craigslist partout, so I don't have any physical applications to look at personally.

Did you have to mess with things on the driver's side as well? The GTX seat on the driver's side has the seat cushion too high up. Even though it bolts up and is flat against the car floor pan, it is uncomfortable no matter how you adjust it.

Also, First off, I want to get something clear here. Were ALL GTX models basically available in RHD? Or did my seats most likely come from a LHD car?

Because the GTX seat in my car right now (driver's side), has the adjusting lever on the leftside of the seat. This is right, because if it was on the other side of the car, then it would hit the center console. But I'm confused, because the "map pocket" which is found on the LX seats as well as most car seats, is usually on the passenger side, so that the driver can reach behind the seat with ease and pull stuff out. If it was actually ON the driver seat, that would make no sense, be awkward, and unsafe.

So why the hell is the map pocket on the RHD driver's seat? The map pocket, and the special adjuster (which is only found on the driver seat, who cares about the passenger?), should not be on the same side correct?

I hope I am making sense here because something seems strange.
              Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 10-26-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Ok, Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttt a minute. I confirmed through the Ebay ad that these seats were in fact pulled from a Japanese car. I originally thought that since they came from Canada, they were actually pulled from a CDN model (which could have been LHD).

I love replying to myself.

So, if my seat is supposed to go on the left side of my vehicle, because the seat adjusters are supposed to always face outward in the vehicle and not inward towards the center console, then that would mean that ,in fact, the GTX seat in my car is supposed to be there. If it is supposed to be there, and it is FROM a RHD Japan car, then that would mean that it is, in fact, the passenger side seat.

So why is there an extra functionality for adjusting the seat? The driver's side always gets mad tyte extras, not the passenger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I stole a picture from 323 Permin, I had a feeling this little extra lever was for something other than special adjustability, as I can't understand why there would be two "fold-down" levers.

But when you use the little lever on the back of the passenger seat, it just folds it down from the back. I guess if you want to get out of a hatch??? So then I might have got my seats from a GTX hatchback, and not a sedan, which I believe is less popular for GTX models anyway.

Name:	P1300064.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1243042

So I guess you can disregard my earlier statement about "tilt/pitch" adjustability of the bottom seat cushion. I actually read that searching through the forums in a thread where they were describing their GTX seat conversion. I assumed since my seats were messed up I lost this so called functionality, but after inspecting it, there is no such functionality and that thread is incorrect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And scrum, here is what I was trying to talk about earlier.

This is the stock LX seat pan (bottom) without rails [USDM passenger side shown]:

Name:	20161026_154358.jpg
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	1243043
                LOOK AT DEM FEET

And here is the GTX seat bottom with rails:

Name:	20161026_154142.jpg
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	1243044

I walked like 10 miles today so I was too lazy to pull rails off the GTX seat rails, but here you should see what I was trying to talk about. The stock LX driver, and passenger side seats have flat seat pan bottoms which sit flush and parallel against the chassis floor pan bolt holes. The GTX seats on the Driver side (RHD pass. side), are also pretty much the same, however the one on the pass. side (RHD driver) is completely different and has a staggered bottom, where the right side extends lower and the left side (on center console side) sinks in because it is not raised like this.

So even if I swap my LX rails on, the right side of the seat will always be higher (which is why it sinks in on the left side so badly when installed). So now I'm seeing what FE3 might be talking about. I'd have to probably find a rail which would allow the right side of the seat to sit lower, and either use a stock LX rail on the left, or another rail which would allow the left side to sit higher.

So I'm assuming since the MX-3 is all mad racer, that the seats sit lower, and thus the brackets are lower (less tall). So I will need a Mx-3 rail on the right hopefully, and maybe Scrum's "spacer" part? (not sure if it will on on left/right side). Also, to set a baseline for my problem, I no longer believe the seats themselves have any frame or mounting damage.

*ClubProtege threads really love to have non-working photos -_-
                Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 10-26-2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
                  Ok, Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttt a minute. I confirmed through the Ebay ad that these seats were in fact pulled from a Japanese car. I originally thought that since they came from Canada, they were actually pulled from a CDN model (which could have been LHD).

I love replying to myself.

So, if my seat is supposed to go on the left side of my vehicle, because the seat adjusters are supposed to always face outward in the vehicle and not inward towards the center console, then that would mean that ,in fact, the GTX seat in my car is supposed to be there. If it is supposed to be there, and it is FROM a RHD Japan car, then that would mean that it is, in fact, the passenger side seat.

So why is there an extra functionality for adjusting the seat? The driver's side always gets mad tyte extras, not the passenger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I stole a picture from 323 Permin, I had a feeling this little extra lever was for something other than special adjustability, as I can't understand why there would be two "fold-down" levers.

But when you use the little lever on the back of the passenger seat, it just folds it down from the back. I guess if you want to get out of a hatch??? So then I might have got my seats from a GTX hatchback, and not a sedan, which I believe is less popular for GTX models anyway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68993[/ATTACH]

So I guess you can disregard my earlier statement about "tilt/pitch" adjustability of the bottom seat cushion. I actually read that searching through the forums in a thread where they were describing their GTX seat conversion. I assumed since my seats were messed up I lost this so called functionality, but after inspecting it, there is no such functionality and that thread is incorrect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And scrum, here is what I was trying to talk about earlier.

This is the stock LX seat pan (bottom) without rails [USDM passenger side shown]:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]68994[/ATTACH]
                  LOOK AT DEM FEET

And here is the GTX seat bottom with rails:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]68995[/ATTACH]

I walked like 10 miles today so I was too lazy to pull rails off the GTX seat rails, but here you should see what I was trying to talk about. The stock LX driver, and passenger side seats have flat seat pan bottoms which sit flush and parallel against the chassis floor pan bolt holes. The GTX seats on the Driver side (RHD pass. side), are also pretty much the same, however the one on the pass. side (RHD driver) is completely different and has a staggered bottom, where the right side extends lower and the left side (on center console side) sinks in because it is not raised like this.

So even if I swap my LX rails on, the right side of the seat will always be higher (which is why it sinks in on the left side so badly when installed). So now I'm seeing what FE3 might be talking about. I'd have to probably find a rail which would allow the right side of the seat to sit lower, and either use a stock LX rail on the left, or another rail which would allow the left side to sit higher.

So I'm assuming since the MX-3 is all mad racer, that the seats sit lower, and thus the brackets are lower (less tall). So I will need a Mx-3 rail on the right hopefully, and maybe Scrum's "spacer" part? (not sure if it will on on left/right side). Also, to set a baseline for my problem, I no longer believe the seats themselves have any frame or mounting damage.

*ClubProtege threads really love to have non-working photos -_-
                  I wouldn't consider myself thick,...but I had to read all this a few times and still not sure
                  Think the pocket thing is on the driver side in mine,.....
                  Not sure if they sit flat without brackets,but I think they do,..and all seats should.,..no?...

I think for cert if any of the seats are sinking in on the centre console side,at the back of the seat,....you are missing them brackets!,...as you've confirmed it was a gtx,4wd hatch,and basiclly figured out all the rest yourself,..I'm very confident this is the problem,...
                  as I said in earlier post,since they came from a 4wd,...it prob never had the brackets.
                  And since I need them brackets and have them in the 3 cars I hav/had,..and the seats in 2 of them are the same design as the gtx ones you have,and my cars are all front wheel drive,....my Vulcan logic is telling me that you may need the brackets to fit them seats -designed for a 4wd car-into a fwd car.

Comment

Haha, yes sorry sham, that post was like a long journal entry of my thoughts going from one idea to the next. I agree though, it has to be that weird transmission tunnel that makes the floor pan different.

Do you happen to have any pictures on hand of these brackets? I would like to share the knowledge for other confused mates here in the states.

We're on the same page, don't mind all the gibberish haha. I just thought that the little lever on the back of the RHD passenger seat was for extra adjustability, and it turned out it's just a way for a cramped passenger to get out of a hatch. So yeah, these def came out of a 4wd hatch and you ain't thick!! haha.

Comment

Don't have a pic handy,but will bring home them brackets tomorrow and send you good pics,..
                      You can see in the 2 pics here that there is something under the carpet (the bracket)to keep the seat mounting bolts raised to the right level,on both sides,where the inside rear bolt for each seat sits near the tunnel.
                      Attached Files

Comment

worst case scenario just change out your bottom seat frames to LX stuff & work from there.
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks scrum for the pics. And yeah FE3, that's my last resort plan, hoping to avoid that tho.

Do you guys have long legs? I feel with riding around in the GTX seat it doesn't go back far enough. I lost ease of heel-toe, and I find myself resting my left foot firmly on the dead pedal or directly behind the clutch (which is terrible practice).

I really like them though, the side bolstering is great.

I am confused as to what that wire was supposed to do when hooked up to the broken bracket. I unplugged it from it's seat on that secondary set of "teeth", but the rear fold down lever still works..
                          Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 10-27-2016, 02:06 AM.

Comment

"I have long legs!!!"
                            This can be an issue for me I have to say,...haven't suffered in these cars or with these seats though in the past,...but,..u know,...everyone has a different perspective/shape

The wire!?,....is that the wire underneath the seat?

Comment

Here's a few pics of the brackets,....these are in al fwd bg's I've ever seen as far as I can remember,....
                              They are marked left and right for the easily confused,and a different colour as well for the very easily confused.
                              and obviously since these ones came from mz3 they are like they came from the factory,...mint!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X