Protege5 from Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protege5 from Alabama

I am new to the Mazda scene. Just recently purchased a 2002 Mazda Protege5 for $2200. I am already having problems with it . I haven't been in the car scene in a long time so I need some help.

When I drive my car I get a constant vibration from both the front and the back from what I can tell. I have already had the car put on new tires and realigned and had the realignment check after a couple of weeks. I am unsure of the problem. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome.

Did you check the alignment data, or did you just ask a shop to do it? My 323 has caster issues (accident damge from before my parents bought it in '89), and the shops just kept quiet about the caster being off. I only recently found out when one technician called me into the alignment bay to show me, and then I went back to the old alignment papers to see what's going on. This is of course just an example of how they can keep quiet, I'm not saying that it's caster.

Also, did you have your wheels checked for balance and free play (bearings, etc)? Something might be loose.

EDIT: Just added something to prevent uncertainty.
    Last edited by JKuhn; 01-13-2017, 03:16 AM.
    '87 Mazda 323 SL - daily driver, backup show car (being restored as I get time)
    '82 BMW 518i (E12/8) with 32/34 Weber and Simota cone - old show car (stolen)
    '70 VW 411L Auto - show/restoration project to replace 518i - sold
    '99 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - show project

Comment

Thank you, no I did not think of that. Ill have my mechanic take a look at that when he replaces my maf sensor and air intake hose next week.

Comment

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Comment

Any ideas on why my car would be leaking oil? I put it on jacks and cant seem to find where it is coming from.

Comment

Is there anywhere to get a black shift boot with green stitching and black and green shift knob to match?

Comment

On your previous post: Do you get oil on the floor/pavement? Or is it just losing oil?

Anyway, clean your engine properly, and then drive it a bit. If it's leaking then you should see where the oil is coming out (assuming it's not brand-new oil). You can also put some card-board under the car and see where it drips relative to the engine. If it's not leaking, it might also be burning oil (doesn't have to smoke).

I don't know where you can find the boot. But if you can find the knob, then you can have an upholstery shop make a boot. Or you can have the shop cover another knob.

Comment

Thank you for the ideas. I get oil on the pavement. Losing about a quarter quart a week.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

So update.

I got my maf sensor and air intake replaced, also got my catalytic converter removed. Found out that the oil leak is due to a rear seal leak. So yay for that. Now I need to replace my front wheel bearings. Any ideas on where I can find them and what they look like exactly?

Comment

No idea, sorry. Besides, I'm in South Africa, so I can't recommend any shops. Can you take one side out and go to a spares shop? Or is it your only mode of transport?

Comment

It's my mode of transportation, also I don't have the proper tools or time right now. I have a good mechanic though.

Comment

Are the front and back wheel bearings different? Ive been googling it. Seems to me the rear is a bearing and hub combo and the front you can buy just the bearing. Is this true?

Comment

Honestly, I don't know. Apart form the fact that I have the old BF chassis, I haven't done that kind of work yet.

Comment

you are correct, the front is just the bearing and requires presswork. the rear is a removable & changeable piece
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Awesome, thank you for the help

Comment

Working...
                              X