2000 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Protege

Hello all. I tried to post in the appropriate forum, however I was told that I needed a post rating of "1", so this is my intro post. My daughter has a 2000 Protege LX sedan. She was in a minor accident, and now the car won't start unless I bypass the fuel pump relay. The relay itself isn't the cause, as I replaced it and there was no change. I'm not sure where to look next.

protege.jpg

P.S. - The 1994 Miata is mine. :-)

were the airbags deployed??
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

No, the airbags did not deploy.

Comment

are there any noticeable severed wires anywhere in the front? I know the BJ doesn't have an inertia fuel cutoff switch like the fords, so im leaning towards some bad wire junction
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I discovered under my headlight an inertia switch device. But my car is a 94/95 . It would be where the damage is, but we drive on the left hand side of the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by farcryNZ View Post
            I discovered under my headlight an inertia switch device. But my car is a 94/95 . It would be where the damage is, but we drive on the left hand side of the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            It's certainly worth a look... She lives about 20 minutes from me and I can't get there today, but I'll look next time I have a chance.

I was frustrated that a replacement relay didn't do the trick. I spent hours at Pick-N-Pull (self-service wrecking yard) pulling off a bumper, bumper reinforcement, turn signal, fender lining, and some other bits. I've got enough to get the car back together and road-worthy, if only it'd run.

Comment

I'd check for severed wiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tireboy View Post
                I'd check for severed wiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Thanks. The other thing I'm going to check is fuse #7 under the dash. I read this is the ECU fuse and I'll get symptoms like this if it blows.

Comment

I finally had a chance to look at the car again yesterday. You all hit it on the head. First thing I noticed was that the temp gauge went straight to H when the key was turned to ON. I read elsewhere that this was an indication the ECU wasn't getting power. I checked the ECU fuse but it was good. I replaced the fuse anyway just in case, but no change.

I went back to the front of the car and saw wires dangling with a long, thin connector. It splits from the turn signal wire and goes under the fender. It is supposed to be attached to a simple four blade connector mounted to the sheet metal behind the bumper cover. This section of sheet metal was damaged during the accident and the wire was pulled off the connector. I bent the metal back enough so the wires reach, plugged it in, and just like that the no-start condition was resolved.

dangling.jpg

connector.jpg

reconnected.jpg
                  Last edited by ambradley70; 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

thats just a simple ground block. i highly encourage a proper cut/solder heatshrink & a new terminal on there, as that looks pretty rough as is.

Comment

Reviving a dormant thread to report the demise of my daughter's Protege on August 8, 2018. Another driver turned left in front of my daughter, who had the right of way. Thankfully, no one was injured.

08082018.JPG

The Protege has been replaced with a 2008 Mazda 6:

Mazda 6.JPG
                      Last edited by ambradley70; 08-21-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

well, decent enough upgrade!!

Comment

Working...
                        X