X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Just got a 2001 mp3

welcome!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks ,I only posted this because It said I have to to post anywere else ,I have a 2001 Mp3 with 155k on it
      120 psi compression on 2 cyclinders and 130 on other two ,I took head off ,Replaced two bad valves that wouldnt seal ,And this thing still smokes like a train,After it warms up 5 or 10min its fine ,But it lacks power and burns a quart a day

Comment

I had similar smoking issues with my last motor, even my current motor with new valve guide seals put in smoked from startup.
        IMHO these motors suck
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Im thinking about just selling the stupid thing ,It still needs 4 new tires all brakes and all struts and possibly motor

Comment

Hello, welcome to the forum. Stick RPG 2
            Last edited by HIolemis1; 09-09-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I see I haven't said so yet, so welcome.

With that amount of smoke and oil consumption, is the problem not somewhere else? I know my BMW had bad valve stem seals, but it only blew a puff of smoke when pulling away, or on startup. My VW blows a cloud of smoke on startup, but that's it (it does have bad rings though). The BMW only rarely needed a top-up, and so far the VW never needed any extra oil (since late last year).

EDIT: By startup I mean the first 2-3 seconds.

ANOTHER EDIT: Sorry for the thread hijack, but this suddenly made me wonder. My 323 has a way of sometimes losing almost all the oil on the dipstick (no apparrent leaks, no smoke that I can see while driving, I've driven behind it on other occasions and didn't see any smoke). I haven't done a compression test, but it does push out 60kW (stock E5 with tweaked timing and a 50mm OD exhaust). Any ideas where the oil might be going? Just to clarify, the oil level normall stays on the full mark, but every now and then it suddenly drops between checks.
              Last edited by JKuhn; 05-28-2017, 04:25 AM.
              '87 Mazda 323 SL - daily driver, backup show car (being restored as I get time)
              '82 BMW 518i (E12/8) with 32/34 Weber and Simota cone - old show car (stolen)
              '70 VW 411L Auto - show/restoration project to replace 518i - sold
              '99 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - show project

Comment

Working...
              X