high idle + overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high idle + overheating

I bought a 5 speed 92 Mazda Protege with 189k miles.

When I leave work, I'm driving 55-60 mph for maybe 10 minutes until I hit the 35-45 mph zone.

I can stop at a stop light and no problems. I notice RPM is between 1100 and 1200.

When I get through, I get on the highway @ 55 mph for about 5 minutes.

then I drive in a 30-35 mph zone for maybe 5 minutes until I reach a store near my place or Hardees drive-thru.

Thats when my RPM is going up to as much as constant 2000 rpm instead of the normal 900. Temp gage goes up. If i stay still it will keep going up. If i move at least 15 - 20 mph it will go back down. I get heat in the morning and on my way home. I am not sure if i get heat when its overheating because i usually turn it off because it gets warm inside easily.

check your coolant level. and pull your spark plugs examining for green (signs of coolant burning in the combustion chamber-I.E. bad headgasket)

a low coolant level is a common sign of all the issues you described.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Check and see if the fan is kicking on when you are not moving.
      Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
      "Who Dey"

Comment

high idle might be air leak
        running hot might be a symptom of same thing
        I'm with FE-323 on this one. might be head gasket or worse.
        When it gets hot, roll down your windows and turn your heater all the way on. It's a heat exhanger just like your radiator, just not nearly as effective.
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Here's an update:

A plug was all corroded and it was broke off at the head of the plug. Thought it was the coolant temp sensor but it turns out it's the Cooling Fan Switch.

Which makes me think it's a swap motor. The sensor item number 201-1621 is a Miata part.

For the idling, it's the throttle thing the cable is connected to, it's not going back all the way. I can sit still in neutral, rev it steady to 1500 RPM and let go of the peddle and it'll stay there. How do I fix this? WD40?

There are also 2 ports shown in the last image, not sure if anything is supposed to be connected to them.

Old Plug:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	5TpP506.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1243554

Name:	4DiNg3k.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1243555

New Plug:

Name:	NwXo1Ys.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1243556

Port

Name:	5ciEnTn.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1243557

Comment

nah, the Miata uses the same part, it's probably some interchange thing.

those two nipples are supposed to be connected, that would be what's causing your high idle (also check your plugs, you're getting a bunch of unmetered air through that opening on the intake hose so you're probably leaning out)

ETA: those air intake hoses are like $20 on rockauto, I highly recommend buying a new one so you can throw that duct-taped **** in the garbage
            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

What Atomic said. Most BG parts will be labeled for Miata use, just because like 1% of America has a BG, while every cheap old guy has a miata weekend car.
              1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Working...
              X