New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

Hey guys, I got given a free 91 Protege back about 4 months ago. wouldn't start.
    ended up being a really bad battery, then wouldn't shift, ended up being super low on ATF.
    Since then I have had to re-solder the turn signal flasher unit, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, valve cover gasket, temp switch, rad cap, wipers, alternator, fluid change ect ect ect. but for a free car i have no room to complain haha

The car has become my daily as I was finishing the motor swap in my BMW e30, Its seems to have the typical(from what I can tell) bad white paint that is flaking off, but other than that its a great little car.
    I came to this forum because I'm about to pass it on to a friend who is having a baby and need a good running little around town car, but for some reason the seat belts don't lock when tugged on, like most cars when you grab the belt and give it a good tug, they are suppose to lock, restraining the occupant from kissing the glass, but this car doesn't seem to do that.

Any insight on how to fix this would be great, Ill be making a thread in correct section about this as well in hopes that it will get more attention to my problem
    Last edited by firefight; 03-06-2017, 03:22 PM.

which belts are you referring too?
    the lapbelts should lock when you jerk them quick enough. the automatic belts however don't usually. they have an inertia system built into them that is triggered.
    might not be a bad idea to pull up the center console & remove the belt system & rotate it in the air while pulling on the belt. if you can't get it to lock up under those conditions then definitely replace them.

P.S. welcome to the club!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      which belts are you referring too?
      the lapbelts should lock when you jerk them quick enough. the automatic belts however don't usually. they have an inertia system built into them that is triggered.
      might not be a bad idea to pull up the center console & remove the belt system & rotate it in the air while pulling on the belt. if you can't get it to lock up under those conditions then definitely replace them.

P.S. welcome to the club!
      Thanks for the welcome!
      I assumed that both the lap and the shoulder section would lock up when tugged fast enough, at this point neither are locking up.

So by pulling the shoulder harness and turning it, that should trigger the inertia system? Will it be able to go back? i know new seat belts once triggered that are "no good".

Comment

the seatbelts don't go bad like that. this isn't a ford.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
        X