Seat belts not locking when tugged on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat belts not locking when tugged on

Hey guys, hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I have a 1991 Protege I'm about to pass it on to a friend who is having a baby and need a good running little around town car, but for some reason the seat belts don't lock when tugged on both drivers and passenger seat(haven't checked the rear seats), like most cars when you grab the belt and give it a good tug, they are suppose to lock, restraining the occupant from kissing the glass, but this car doesn't seem to do that.

While I was driving it I didn't mind to much, but now that it will be driving around a new mother I want to make sure its 100%

There's a pendulum mechanism inside the belt "reel", To test it, it needs to be a sharp tug to lock. Or really jam on the brakes. If your unsure, replace the belts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivet View Post
      There's a pendulum mechanism inside the belt "reel", To test it, it needs to be a sharp tug to lock. Or really jam on the brakes. If your unsure, replace the belts.
      So could I jack up the rear of the car? would that cause what ever swings forward locking it to do so?

thanks for the reply

Comment

I guess that might work, but a sharp tug on the belt would be easier. You could also remove the belt assembly and tilt it. However, it needs to work in the car and it's the sudden stop that causes the pendulum to swing forward and lock the belt. So to really be sure it works, find a nice empty area, get the car up over 30 and stand on the brake pedal. If the belt doesn't lock, time for a new belt.

Comment

From my experience, the things never go bad. It's usually human error in testing the mechanism. Not only do you have to give a very sharp and quick tug as Rivet said, but there is also a certain angle it must be pulled as well. I would try the braking method . There is also a write-up in the service manual.
          1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Working...
          X