Rebuild stock GTX trubo, AKA IHI VJ 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild stock GTX trubo, AKA IHI VJ 20

First and foremost. This is not a "Howto" thread. This is a work log documenting what I did. If you try it and it doesn't work, it's not my fault. Nor is it the fault of anyone that contributes to this thread. You take responsibility for everything you do.

I've got two of these turbos and they both have over 100k on them. My skill level is novice garage mechanic and this is not my first mechanical project. Still, I've never rebuilt a turbo before so advice is always appreciated. I haven't sourced a kit yet but have believe this to be a IHI rhb5 turbo.
    More later.

The Facebook sister site thread I started already has some good activity.
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

found this kit, https://www.midwestturboconnection.c...uct-p/6009.htm

The Amazon kit is less money and more convenient, but I'm skeptical.

I'm going to ask these guys if they do rebuilds. They're the ones that did the bead roll I needed when I was doing my FMIC set up on the B4pro.

Edit- They don't rebuild turbos but they did refer me to this other shop.

I just sent them a message.
    Edit-Wow, Kent got back to me really fast. In the upper left hand corner of the screen is the link "menu". Left click on that and a drop down screen gives a choice for, rebuild fee structure. That link tells you everything you need to know about pricing and such. Kent told me they've got a number of these types of turbos and have tons of experience working on them. There's also a billet wheel upgrade that I didn't know about. Good information. Thanks Kent.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 04-18-2017, 10:21 PM.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

saved
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

saving for college

Comment

It turns out this isn't as easy a task as first thought.
        First off, nobody with any credibility wants to offer official advice. On two separate occasions, the knowledgeable person I was chatting with didn't want their name associated with anything they didn't have complete control over else some failure be blamed on them tarnishing their reputation.
        Second, sourcing a suitable rebuild kit is difficult because so many are Chinese knock off parts. At 70 mph, the turbine is spinning somewhere around 100k rpm's! That's one hundred THOUSAND revolutions per minute. Or 1,666.66- revolutions per second! wow.
        Third, and a bit obvious at this point, it must also be balanced further cutting into any cost savings that might be had by a DIY project.
        Forth, having never done this before, the chance for a failure because of my workmanship is unreasonably high. I'm risking further repair, as well as the possibility of a ruined turbo.
        Fifth, for $400, I can have it done properly and be done with it.

I'm going to send it to a shop I reference in the first post. turbochargersystems in Scappoose. I talked with Kent, the shop owner, and he said everything I would expect a professional rebuild shop owner to say. Plus, he was recommended by another shop, also referenced in this thread. He spoke of a billet wheel upgrade which I've been thinking about as well. Not sure yet.

In any case, things didn't go as expected. That's okay though. I'm the boss of this project and am flexible when I need to be.

Comment

What was the cost for the billet upgrade? I wonder what kind of performance upgrade that would actually yield. Good luck either way.

Comment

He said 20-30 hp increase. I suppose there's also tuning involved with that estimate.

Comment

for $400 i would start looking to retrofit a new better turbo in place of the stock unit
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

How much hp can stock BP rods handle? I saw one thread that someone estimated 220hp.
                I've had a few people mention upgrade to me. All I need are some H beams, some 550 injectors, and with the Evo unit I already have---but then I also need to upgrade the intercooler, and the clutch has over 100k on it too.
                It's not that I don't want to. It's just not the priority right now.
                Last edited by 1st Gen; 04-22-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Well we've seen Carlos go well over 500hp on stock rods. It's all in the tune.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you tried majestic turbos

Comment

you can daily drive 300whp. 350whp is where you start to lose reliability.
                      its unlikely you need a larger intercooler. good newage injectors will definitely help. but thats about it. the rest is just un-needed
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

This is what my $400 bucks buys.
                        The unit that's on the car is in very bad shape and needs to be replace ASAP. I guess I let it get so bad because I was convinced that there was no shaft play and that was the way to tell.
                        Attached Files

Comment

does that mean you'll happen to have a spare VJ20 hotside laying about?? im in dire need of one.

Also- where in the world did you source this?

Comment

This is the Turbo from the GTX I bought through Dave. I just had it rebuilt. The turbo that's on the engine now is from the second GTX I bought.
                            Yea, I'll have a spare but----let you know. I was looking forward to attempting my own rebuild still.

Comment

let me know!! im at a current standstill with a hotside that is cracked so bad its beyond welding repair. (cracked all the way to the flange face & into the snail itself)

Comment

Working...
                              X