My GTX Refuses To Start! Video added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GTX Refuses To Start! Video added

Hi Everyone - I drove the GTX into work one day and it drove great, that evening went to fire it up to head home and it wouldn't start so towed it home.

The engine cranks but does not fire..I am not getting 12V to the distributor..even though I am getting a solid 12V to the coil plug - weird (see video below).

Over the course of the past few weeks I changed or swapped the following:
    1) New NGK plugs
    2) New distributor cap and rotor
    3) New NKG plug wires
    4) Tried a different ECU from my running '88 GT
    5) Swapped in a good working distributor from my running '88 GT
    6) Pulled the entire EFI harness and checked for broken wires - none found
    6) Tried different coils
    7) Checked that the ignition wire from the coil plug to the ECU is continuous
    8) Cleaned every ground and even added a few additional ground wires

Here's a video I shot today (May 14th - Sunday):

I'm a decent wrench or so I thought (!) and definitely at the end of my chain.

I would appreciate any suggestions and guidance!

Thanks in advance.
    Yasin

Did you check to see if the coil is throwing spark? Maybe your current coil and the one you swapped in are bad... Or did the one you swapped out came from your running gt?
    323 log-http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44611

Comment

The coil is not throwing spark I swapped in the one from my running GT and no luck.

Comment

Maybe the igniter is bad? A loose or corroded connection? I know on the BGs sometimes the power wire for the coil gets burnt in between the engine harness. You may have to completely disassemble the harness to see if a wire may be giving you a short. Good luck on finding the problem.

Comment

If you have a spare engine harness that is in good condition, swap it out with the one on the car if you don't wanna tear apart your current one.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare harness, I may have to pull mine out and dissect it.

I appreciate your responses and chiming in.

Comment

No problem... Keep us updated

Comment

do you have 12v power at any other white/red stripe source? say the fuel pump relay? (key in the on position)

if you aren't seeing any 12v source immediately go to the fusebox under the hood. you'll either have a burned contact or a fried main fuse. on occasion** altho exceptionally rare. the main relay can also go bad.

ER* BG advice^^ not 100% anymore if the power color is a white/red stripe on the BF. its been 7 years since i've modded one.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I haven't checked the fuel pump relay..but will do that tonight. I am getting fuel, as I cracked the fuel line out of the filter on the firewall and its spraying.

Yesterday, I also swapped out the 80 Amp main relay under the hood and cleaned all the contacts and wires and no change.

Comment

Crank keyway?

Comment

My gtx did this last summer . Changed my cap and rotor and also cleaned the distributor shaft where the rotor contacts the shaft. Fired right up

Comment

Michael - As per my original post, I've tried now three (3) different distributors all with a brand new cap and rotor and still no avail.
                        Not quite banging my head..but getting close

Comment

Yasin I would be looking to that harness. I will bet there is a bad wire that has finally given up. Look to the yellow/ blue signal wire if all of the grounds show to be good.

Comment

Will do brother!

Comment

run a test power wire to the distributor plug & see if it'll fire under that test.

Did you check for power at the ecu?
                              what were the circumstances before the car didn't run? or is this an acquired project
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                              X