Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalytic converter: when to replace the rear cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic converter: when to replace the rear cat?

Multiple emission related codes: p0037, p0421, and p0300.
    From a recent coil pack total failure coupled with 190k miles, I'm reasonably certain the front cat needs to be replaced now and I'll get moving on that. And at 190k, I think I'll go ahead and change the O2 sensors.
    Question is how do you know if the rear cat needs replacing? It doesn't seem to be monitored by anything, so how do you know?
    2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

As you say, I don't believe the condition of the rear cat is monitored. I replaced mine when it started rattling loudly suggesting to me that it was breaking up inside and probably would no longer be emission legal.

I don't know if this is helpful but it's the best that I can come up with in this regard.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

the rear cat is not monitored, only the front. & by all means if you don't have emissions on your car just add a header & Oxygen sensor trick spacer.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Ha, unfortunately I do have to deal with emissions in the metro Atlanta area, so I'll have to have this sorted out by early August.
        No rattling detected thus far. I suppose I'll just replace the front unit and O2 sensors for now and hopefully that'll clear it all up. Looks like the Walker brand of cat, O2 sensors and gaskets will run $266 shipped from Rockauto.

Comment

Ok, mission accomplished. Pretty simple install, check engine light is gone and emission test passed this morning. All-in price just a hair over $300. Below is a list of parts and prices. I bought everything through Amazon with Prime free shipping. Prices were a few bucks lower even with shipping through a few other places, but I like the bulletproof return process including free shipping back if it comes to that with Amazon. I did not replace the rear cat.

Walker 16220 Catalytic Converter: $192.88
          Walker 31595 Exhaust Gasket: $3.99
          Walker 31642 Gasket: $8.76
          Walker 250-24367 O2 Sensor: $38.78
          Walker 250-24629 O2 Sensor: $32.78
          Total price $293.83

Additional parts needed:
          3 nuts, bolts and lock washers for the lower connection $2 or whatever at Home Depot. I think I used 1.5" bolts fed from the bottom upwards, nut on top.
          4 - 12oz Shocktop Belgian White $7 (prorated price of $10 six pack)
          O2 sensor removal tool - $0 Free tool loaner from Autozone.

The cat I used does not accommodate the stock heat shield, but google images of that part and you'll see it already has them affixed to the outside.

Comment

glad you passed emissions successfully!! & great list to top off the thread!
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
            X