Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't turn over after sitting a few months (1986 323 B6 SOHC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yes, sticky solenoid is likely an issue too... but I'll get to that once she's running smoothly hahaha! :D

Comment

have you checked the timing with a timing light? Start there, thats an easy way to find out if the timing is off. if its dramatically out of scale, you'll know theres an issue.
      Elsewise i might just simply suggest bumping up the idle @ the TB & putting a few miles on it
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        have you checked the timing with a timing light? Start there, thats an easy way to find out if the timing is off. if its dramatically out of scale, you'll know theres an issue.
        Elsewise i might just simply suggest bumping up the idle @ the TB & putting a few miles on it
        I can't get it any closer to the suggested base timing without it sputtering and wanting to die, unfortunately. Makes me think the belt indeed jumped a tooth. I plugged both vac hoses, disconnected the black connector, and can't get anywhere near 1 degree BTDC unfortunately per the factory manual...

Comment

1 degree BTDC is extremely low. thats far below where it should be. that would be considered extremely retarded timing. Screw what factory calls for, aim for 8-12° the NA b6 motors sing in that range.

but like you said, OEM allows timing that low & you should be able to set it to that, if not then yes the belt probably slipped a tooth somewhere. luckily its easy to check.

Due note that as you advance the timing, your idle will come up. A win win for both situations.
          If you had to guess what would your timing be set at right now degree wise??
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Oh well that's helpful... I'm in the 10-12 range. But yeah, it's not pretty where it's at in terms of the idle. I'll have to pull the cover off and have a look at where we're lined up next weekend. Idle hasn't come up nearly enough to what I'd like it to be at, so you're probably right about it having jumped a tooth. Car has 130,000 original kilometers / 80,000 miles and I don't honestly know about the state of the timing belt.

Comment

Yeah I think you might be reading a chiltons there Aaron ,1 btc is not going to make your car happy.
              Being a sohc b6 are you sure it's not 1,080 000 Kim's ? I would wager ( very little mind you) your timing belt is spot on at 80k kms.
              It's turning over repeatedly at the same pace? Your starter is labouring at least a bit to turn the motor over,you did mention you seem to have a very powerful battery, "the most powerfull 525 cca battery " if I'm not mistaken, it may be powerful cause it's spinning a dead motor with very little compression.

Comment

Originally posted by nickz View Post
                Yeah I think you might be reading a chiltons there Aaron ,1 btc is not going to make your car happy.
                Being a sohc b6 are you sure it's not 1,080 000 Kim's ? I would wager ( very little mind you) your timing belt is spot on at 80k kms.
                It's turning over repeatedly at the same pace? Your starter is labouring at least a bit to turn the motor over,you did mention you seem to have a very powerful battery, "the most powerfull 525 cca battery " if I'm not mistaken, it may be powerful cause it's spinning a dead motor with very little compression.
                Stupid Chilton's hahaha. Good to know. Yep, positive it's 130,000KM. Vancouver Island doesn't have a lot of highways, and it's 100% rust free as a native Island car. It turns over at the same pace repeatedly. I'll re-check today to ensure we're in the ~10 range and pull the timing covers off to take a look. My vacuum is a fluttery 15-16inHg, which leads me to think the belt jumped a tooth. It used to be a rock solid 20-21 on this exact car/motor just six months ago.

Comment

Definitely set to 10 degrees BTDC now. I threw plates on the car for the weekend and took her out for a spin. The power just isn't there - car is very gutless to say the least. I can floor it heading up a hill and fail to even reach 30MPH. For most elevation, I have to move from Drive to the low gears to keep the revs up. There's definitely some popcorn/popping noises coming out in the process. The more throttle I open, the less popping there is - seems like it's worst in the 5-50% throttle range. Drove down to the gas station to fill up with premium for good measure and check the tire pressure. Still runs moderately well aside from the lack of power. Idle still rocky/bumpy per the above.

Comment

get a look under those timing covers!!

Comment

That's definitely next. Wanted to see if any of the "it sat for a while" would alleviate the problem, but clearly it hasn't. Conveniently, the new belt/tensioner I ordered as precautions will be here today/tomorrow at the latest. Either way, will definitely get in there and see what I can do - praying I won't have to drop the engine mount because I'm not sure if I have confidence in my ability to do that properly haha. Thanks for the continued support!

Comment

b6 timing is fool proof. so easy even a caveman could do it lol no need to worry

Comment

Timing belt went well... dropping the engine a bit wasn't too much work. Hardest part was getting my big hands to thread the water pump pulley bolts, honestly hahaha. Unfortunately, a fresh belt and resetting the marks up top and down low hasn't solved anything at all. From here, I guess it'll be fuel pressure testing, compression testing, and checking to see if the cat's plugged... getting discouraged for sure.

Comment

What does the fuel itself look like? Is it old, stale, and chunky?

Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak big enough to cause this?

Did you ever pull any OBD codes out of it?
                            1990 Protege 4WD
                            GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

6 of the gallons are fresh 91 octane. The other 2-3 are quite a few months old. Can pull the pump and have another look in the tank though if you think it's worthwhile.

I tried spraying down the engine bay a bit with it running... no change in idle/quality of running at all.

No OBD codes as of yet - haven't tried that before but might be worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                                6 of the gallons are fresh 91 octane. The other 2-3 are quite a few months old. Can pull the pump and have another look in the tank though if you think it's worthwhile.
                                Probably not worth it at this point.
                                I tried spraying down the engine bay a bit with it running... no change in idle/quality of running at all.

No OBD codes as of yet - haven't tried that before but might be worthwhile.
                                Sometimes it can set a code without showing it. May be worth checking.
                                1990 Protege 4WD
                                GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                                ├┼┤
                                2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
                                X