help, trying to reach the solenoid starter of protege 2000 lx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help, trying to reach the solenoid starter of protege 2000 lx

hi, how can i reach the solenoid without going under the vehichle? i want to unplug the cable where the ignition switch sends the current to the solenoid and to test if it is the ignition switch having the problem or it is the starter.

the main problem is, i cannot see the starter from above. i hope it is just the ignition switch having problem.

hope i get an answer from anyone

automatic/manual?
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

hi, it is automatic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	starter BJ.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1245190

hopefully this gives you some insight.

the FS has an intake manifold "support bracket" thats impossibly in the way of the starter for all intensive purposes. Its completely unnecessary and can be removed & trashed (i highly encourage it)
        once that is out of the way you should have full access to reach that spade terminal and or replace the starter if required.

its a typical issue on these cars if your in a salty/dirty corrosion prone climate that the spade terminal loses a good contact.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
          its a typical issue on these cars if your in a salty/dirty corrosion prone climate that the spade terminal loses a good contact.
          Doing a tune-up and oil change this weekend on the '97 and didn't even think about this. Been having trouble starting about half the time, I have to keeping flicking the key to start and back until it finally turns over (almost like it's trying to get the engine to a certain crank or cam angle before actually starting, something I've attributed to the alarm/remote start system that I have unplugged until I get the replacement remotes programmed). I'll take a look at the starter while I'm under there just to be sure. Sorry for the short thread-jacking.

Comment

sounds like your starter is weakened to give an ample kick to your engine.

Comment

10Q so much! it means that i have to go under definitely. I didn't think I would ever go under a vehicle or troubleshoot a vehicle again after I left the army 25 years ago as a mechanic repairing army vehicles back in Singapore. I have since migrated to Canada.

I try not to invest too much into diagnostic tools, not sure if I will use them again after the mission is completed and I don't have too much space in the house for storage.

Comment

I don't know what kind of parts stores you have in Canada, but most of them have loaner tool programs. I think Advance Auto Parts gives you 90 days with a deposit, and the deposit is fully refunded if you return the tool within the 90 days. Probably a similar deal with the other stores.

Comment

Got the car battery replaced. Dash lights up without me inserting the key. This smells like ignition switch issue.

Insert and turn the key. Dash wants to turn off.

Disconnect the ignition switch and hotwire and the car starts. I hope the short stays at the ignition switch only and nothing else. not even the key tumbler.

One thing i noticed the odometer stays on too. is this normal?

if i am at the scrap yard. i will make sure i buy a extra ignition switch, starter and alternator. one of these will die sooner or later.

one thing for sure, i don't have to buy a hydraulic jack to go under for now.

Comment

well! thats great news. shoudl be a simply fix in comparison

Comment

Working...
                    X