Locked keys in 02' protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked keys in 02' protege

I was hoping someone on hear could help me with a little knowledge on how to get into my 2002 protege that I locked my keys in. Is it possible to slim jim it without messing up the door mechanism? I already forced the window frame open enough to try a metal rod on the lock switch but the rod isn't strong enough to push the button without bending. I am trying to do this without having to call a tow truck and fork over a hundred just to get my car unlocked. And yes, I know I should have had a spare made. Thanks for any help given.

never tried on a 3rd gen. best of luck!!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks, I think I will buy a slim jim and try using it on the back door as they claim the front door can be problematic.

Comment

My dad was able to slim jim my '98 with no ill effects. I can't imagine the mechanism has changed much between my car and yours.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
          My dad was able to slim jim my '98 with no ill effects. I can't imagine the mechanism has changed much between my car and yours.
          I just realized I put this in the wrong thread when I posted it. Anyway, I got it unlocked. I used a screwdriver, block of wood, fairly stiff metal rod, coat hanger, electrical tape, and shoe string. Once put all together, I was able to get the shoe string around the manual pull lock at the top of the door, the string was tied around the rod and held in place with the electrical tape. Held the loop of the slip knot down with the coat hanger and pulled the slip knot tight then lifted the lock to unlock the door. Took some ingenuity and out of the box thinking, but only took a couple of minutes once I was set up. Now to get a spare key made.

Comment

mcgyver!!!
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
              mcgyver!!!
              haha. x2
              I've learned the hard way to keep a spare hidden in one of those magnetic boxes under the car. I've had to use it a few times.
              2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Working...
              X