Newbie and having a ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie and having a ball

I just purchased an '02 P5 with a manual trans for my son. This will be his first vehicle. Problem is, I'm having a blast with this car. I've always enjoyed the smaller 5spd cars, this car is so fun. Anyways, it has 200,000 miles on it but seems to have been well taken care of. The previous owner, who is the original owner btw, kept the oil changed regularly and used synthetic. I plan to continue the use of synthetic but will most likely go to 10w30 due to being in a slightly warmer climate and the fact that it's using a little bit of oil. I plan on changing the trans fluid and will most likely go with Royal Purple unless there is a suggestion against that. First and foremost will be installing new motor and trans mounts as all of them are busted. Clutch seems to be good for mileage. He's enjoying the car so far, hope to see many more miles out of this little guy. Looking forward to spending some time on here and learning a bit more about the car as well.

Originally posted by Lilred02 View Post
    I just purchased an '02 P5 with a manual trans for my son. This will be his first vehicle. Problem is, I'm having a blast with this car. I've always enjoyed the smaller 5spd cars, this car is so fun. Anyways, it has 200,000 miles on it but seems to have been well taken care of. The previous owner, who is the original owner btw, kept the oil changed regularly and used synthetic. I plan to continue the use of synthetic but will most likely go to 10w30 due to being in a slightly warmer climate and the fact that it's using a little bit of oil. I plan on changing the trans fluid and will most likely go with Royal Purple unless there is a suggestion against that. First and foremost will be installing new motor and trans mounts as all of them are busted. Clutch seems to be good for mileage. He's enjoying the car so far, hope to see many more miles out of this little guy. Looking forward to spending some time on here and learning a bit more about the car as well.
    Welcome aboard..

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome!! a good strong FS motor is fun to drive, and the P5's are exceptionally great for hauling things. in GA it should be fairly rust free too.
      post some pictures!! and welcome aboard!
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

As far as transmission fluid, you should go with GM syncromesh.
        Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
        "Who Dey"

Comment

So far so good on fluid changes and such. We got 3 out of 4 motor/trans mounts installed last weekend. The one behind the motor was nasty. Got 2 of the three nuts off but could not get the one directly under the wiring loom bottom stud. Ended up rounding that nut off due to not being able to get square on the nut. And did I mention it was tight?? Guess I'll wait until the clutch needs changing and have them do it. Other than that we've now replaced all headlights and fog lights. The front end looks so much better now and visibility is drastically improved. Upcoming plans are to begin working on the suspension. Lower control arms up front and shock/strut assemblies all the way around. Trying to hit anything that may have worn bushings. Will also be looking at doing wheel bearings on all four corners too. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Great info on here btw!

Comment

the rear mount is always the most difficult, its almost easier to pull the intake manifold & gain clear access to it that way.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Wow you guys are moving fast! I’ll be following suit here shortly, as I think my mounts will need replacing.

Comment

Working...
              X