Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member with important questions on my 93 !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member with important questions on my 93 !

Hi I have a 1993 Protege automatic Dx... not happy with performance. So I have a couple of questions where can I find performance parts for this car I looked everywhere. I want coilovers, headers, exhaust only a muffler for now, cold air intake, and what wheels would be suitable ? I have 13s and they look horrible. My friends said 15s or 16s I don’t want them huge but not so tiny like 13s. Also would I be able to put in a lx head on my dx block? I forgot the engine names but you know what I mean. I just want the dohc or do I have to swap the whole
    Motor? Also how hard is it to convert to a 5 speed? Thanks!

Welcome. Sorry that you are not happy with your car's performance. I suggest saving your money, selling it and getting something with a turbo if you really want performance.

Comment

When I did my 5-speed conversion I found it shockingly easy. I'd start with that.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

A few things.

Swapping to a manual will help a ton with the enjoyment performance. May not truly solve the performance issue of you are judging it based on other cars but it will make it more enjoyable to trash on

As for the SOHC motor, DOHC swap. I'd not waste any money on the SOHC setup and start looking into the BP head or full swap.

If you really looking for some grunt and such you can either do a full BPT swap out of the GTX or swap over to a BP(DOHC setup) and then boost it.

Most of this should be on the forums so spend some good time digging through the how-tos. I think a ton of your litle questions should get covered via some of the amazing guides here.

Comment

welcome!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire0310 View Post
            A few things.

Swapping to a manual will help a ton with the enjoyment performance. May not truly solve the performance issue of you are judging it based on other cars but it will make it more enjoyable to trash on

As for the SOHC motor, DOHC swap. I'd not waste any money on the SOHC setup and start looking into the BP head or full swap.

If you really looking for some grunt and such you can either do a full BPT swap out of the GTX or swap over to a BP(DOHC setup) and then boost it.

Most of this should be on the forums so spend some good time digging through the how-tos. I think a ton of your litle questions should get covered via some of the amazing guides here.
            There is also the KL route.
            1990 Protege 4WD
            GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
              There is also the KL route.
              Valid, I kinda forget about the KL.

I will admit the KL swap does seem way more involved than sticking with the B-series blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire0310 View Post
                Valid, I kinda forget about the KL.

I will admit the KL swap does seem way more involved than sticking with the B-series blocks.

Agreed. But it's an option. And a lot of people really seem to like it.
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                X