How do you adjust the idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you adjust the idle?

Can someone explain or even better yet show me how do you adjust the idle on my 92' 1st Gen Protege? My car is idling kinda low so I need to turn it up a little. If anybody would have pics it would be great! Thanks in advance!!

Originally posted by Hawaiiannights
    Can someone explain or even better yet show me how do you adjust the idle on my 92' 1st Gen Protege? My car is idling kinda low so I need to turn it up a little. If anybody would have pics it would be great! Thanks in advance!!

There is a set screw on top of the throttle body covered by a small rubber cap. Turing the screw inside of there with a flat head screw driver very minutely will adjust the idle.
    -Kevin
    -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
    -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
    -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
    -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
    -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

When you do that, you'll need to jump the TEN and GND on the diagnostic box with a wire or paperclip or something. Otherwise the ECU will be resistant to the changes. I supsect that there's something else causing your idle to be low though...
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
        When you do that, you'll need to jump the TEN and GND on the diagnostic box with a wire or paperclip or something. Otherwise the ECU will be resistant to the changes. I supsect that there's something else causing your idle to be low though...
        Hmmm not too sure about the TEN an GND thing....could you explain?

I figured out the idle screw and did some adjusting but it didn't seem to be good enough so I went ahead and adjusted the 2 bolts holding the throttle cable which made the idleing faster. I hope this doesn't cause any problems.

Comment

All the way on the driver's side behind the battery there's a little black box that says DIAGNOSTIC. Pop open the cover; There will be a label on the other side of the cover to show which ones TEN and GND are. Jump a wire between the two and the car enters diagnostic mode.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
            All the way on the driver's side behind the battery there's a little black box that says DIAGNOSTIC. Pop open the cover; There will be a label on the other side of the cover to show which ones TEN and GND are. Jump a wire between the two and the car enters diagnostic mode.
            Wow thanks, good to know....so what do you think is happening to my car now since I made the idle faster without doing that first? So if I hook it up now whats going to happen since I already changed things around?

Comment

Eh... if you already got it to work... let's just stick with it.

Comment

here you go
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla

here you go
                  Cool! Thanks! What actualy happens when I do this?

Comment

When you jump the grd and ign terminals you basically bypass the ecu and then you can set the timing and the idle.

(careful) becareful what you do when you mess with the idle. I fiddles with mine and now I am having the hardest time getting the car to start after warming up. (if this is the reason).
                    Anyhow, once you jump that box, you can just turn the idle screw up or down like a half or 1/4 turn. Make sure you remeber how many turns you are making, then go check the tach and see what the idle is at.
                    If you have a timing light you can also check your timing.
                    Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

When you jump the grd and ign terminals you basically bypass the ecu and then you can set the timing and the idle.

(careful) becareful what you do when you mess with the idle. I fiddles with mine and now I am having the hardest time getting the car to start after warming up. (if this is the reason).
                      Anyhow, once you jump that box, you can just turn the idle screw up or down like a half or 1/4 turn. Make sure you remeber how many turns you are making, then go check the tach and see what the idle is at.
                      If you have a timing light you can also check your timing.
                      Bruce
                      Hmmm..... I was already having problems with starting the car when I would drive it and then park and re-start it within 10 minutes or so....I need to crank it for like 40 seconds for it to catch....

but the reason I was adjusting the idle because it was stumbling at stop lights and the AC compressor was making a bad ticking sounds when the idle was too low.

So I adjusted the idle the other day without jumping the connections but I was still able to adjust it...why is that? And should I redo it now with the jump once again?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiiannights
                        Hmmm..... I was already having problems with starting the car when I would drive it and then park and re-start it within 10 minutes or so....I need to crank it for like 40 seconds for it to catch....

but the reason I was adjusting the idle because it was stumbling at stop lights and the AC compressor was making a bad ticking sounds when the idle was too low.

So I adjusted the idle the other day without jumping the connections but I was still able to adjust it...why is that? And should I redo it now with the jump once again?
                        I have the same frigin problem as you do ....
                        shoot. Ask everyone in that gas station in new jersey that me and like 5 other protege's stoped at to get gas. I shut the car off and realized I was on the wrong side of the pump. Tried to restart and it was eheheheheheheheheh, for like 10 or 15 seconds. The whole damn gas station was looking at me like WTF.
                        lol ohhh boy...

yeah I am relating that problem to the idle screw. I got the timing set up right on the 10 mark (degrees) but I am trying to get the idle screw set right. (if that is the problem)

See when you turned the idle screw, the timing also moved. This is because the ecu senses you turning it down or up and will compensate for it by moving the timing. So you have to jump the gnd and ten and then adjust it.
                        Damn your having the same problem as I am. I am dying trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I have the same frigin problem as you do ....
                          shoot. Ask everyone in that gas station in new jersey that me and like 5 other protege's stoped at to get gas. I shut the car off and realized I was on the wrong side of the pump. Tried to restart and it was eheheheheheheheheh, for like 10 or 15 seconds. The whole damn gas station was looking at me like WTF.
                          lol ohhh boy...

yeah I am relating that problem to the idle screw. I got the timing set up right on the 10 mark (degrees) but I am trying to get the idle screw set right. (if that is the problem)

See when you turned the idle screw, the timing also moved. This is because the ecu senses you turning it down or up and will compensate for it by moving the timing. So you have to jump the gnd and ten and then adjust it.
                          Damn your having the same problem as I am. I am dying trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Bruce
                          Well if one of us finds out lets let each other know! So i'll try the idleing again with the jumpers..Thanks for the help!! Oh I also noticed my spark plugs were fouled like with an oily black sludge...something is definately wrong with the car....but it runs great besdies the occasional starting problem that makes me look and feel like an ass.... its funny cause I never know when its gonna happen there will be days it doesn't happen at all....I give it like a hanlf second crank and it starts..... then theres the days like you mentioned...ehehehehehehehehehhee.....40 seconds to 5 minutes later after looking like an ass the car starts and everybody claps while laughin at my dumb ass for driving a piece of ****...hahaha..... we should drive around together and double the shame.....

Comment

time to change the plugs
                            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

yeah ! I hated when that happened. I somewhat tuned it out though. It always happens when the car is hot. I think the idle mixture is up to high. So when the car is hot and I try to restart it after shutting the car off. I can get one good crank but I have to play the throttle right so that the damn thing will catch. I will just have to keep messing with the car to see what the hell is going on.
                              I will for sure let you know.
                              I had a spare BP intake manifold and I checked the idle screw and it was 6 half turns out from closed.

ohh well, such is tuning bro.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X