No announcement yet.

alternator upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for narrowing that down for me.

Change the pulley and I'm ready to go? No other issues...?
    1990 Mazda Protege LX, owned since new

Comment

the lower bolt on the v6 alternator goes the other way, but that's minor & can easily be finagled from the inside of the fender. Its much worth it. the entire car runs better
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.

I was out of town and just got back so I went out and put the old one back on (and swap in a good temporary battery) so I can make emissions and then go after the V-6 upgrade.

I'm looking forward to this one.
        1990 Mazda Protege LX, owned since new

Comment

ill be attempting this upgrade here next week, any feedback on how well this went? i look forward to doing it.

Comment

Hi guys
            I know that this is an ancient topic but I want to upgrade or replace my current alternator to a bigger one.

Can I just upgrade by changing the internals only
            Or it will be better to get a replacement?

Any bolt on high output alternators for the bpt engine?

Thanks

Comment

They do have some high output alternators on ebay. 120-140 amp range. Any of the kl alternators serve as a quick n easy upgrade meanwhile
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                They do have some high output alternators on ebay. 120-140 amp range. Any of the kl alternators serve as a quick n easy upgrade meanwhile
                Thanks buddy.
                I have a 66A fan so I am looking for a 180 amp and up.
                Do you happen to have any links on eBay as there are so many of them?

Comment

Fan brand/model? Pics? I have a hard time believing that rating.

Comment

Its the spal

I have the civic half size radiator

Comment

Nope my bad.
                      It’s not 66 amps...25amps the tech document said.
                      Sorry for the confusion guys.

But again should I upgrade the stock alternator?
                      When the fan is on rpm drops a bit and also windows are struggling. Gets worse when I have the aircon on. I have a deep cycle battery as well 550cca I think

Comment

Good brand fan! I love my mini spal
                        Yes upgrade the alternator.
                        Additionally. Rewire the fan on a new circuit with thicker guage wire and a relay for best results.

I might suggest also doing "the big 3" upgrade at the same time as the alternator itself.

Comment

Good brand fan! I love my mini spal
                          Yes upgrade the alternator.
                          Additionally. Rewire the fan on a new circuit with thicker guage wire and a relay for best results.

I might suggest also doing "the big 3" upgrade at the same time as the alternator itself.
                          Yes I love my spal!
                          I got a 140 amp from a V6 engine but I will need to fiddle with it to fit it but that’s fine.
                          I think will be enough and I will do the big 3 upgrade as well
                          As for the gauge wire what type/thickness?

Comment

as big as you can still fit into the fusebox. and as big as you can otherwise for the alt & for the starter
                            Alt/starter can be 0 guage i think the max you can cram into the OEM fusebox is 4guage but don't quote me

Comment

as big as you can still fit into the fusebox. and as big as you can otherwise for the alt & for the starter
                              Alt/starter can be 0 guage i think the max you can cram into the OEM fusebox is 4guage but don't quote me

Thanks man.
                              You ve been a great help! :-)

Comment

Hi buddy.
                                I managed to source a Bosch 110A alternator as the 140AMPS would have been too big and also I would have need to fiddle a lot with it and I don’t think it worth it.
                                I think the 110amps will be enough.

As for the cabling I am thinking of using 4 gauge all around but I don’t understand what you mean when you say to cram in the fuse box.
                                Also will I need a circuit breaker between battery and alternator and how many Amps? 120a is enough?

Thanks a lot for all your help

Comment

Working...
                                X