This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazdaspeed Protege Springs, Struts and Stabilizer Bars Installed

Also part of the complete MSP suspension package is a front strut tower bar that I had previously installed. This is the same one that was also installed in the MP3 and the Protege 5.

I did this in two stages as I couldn't afford to buy all the parts at the same time.

As everyone agrees, the stock protege is a great handling car. With the addition of the MSP springs (part no. 0000-8M-C13) and MSP struts (part no. 0000-8M-C14), the handling is even better. I bought all my MSP suspension parts from:

I don't have a garage so I have to do most of my work in my driveway. I also don't have air tools so I don't like attempting too much suspension work on my own. However, I have a friend who has both a home garage, air tools and a spring compressor. We help each other out with car work so when it came time to install my struts and springs, I took my car to his house to carry out the installation. With his tools and my trusty FSM, we did the job in about 6 hours - we took our time and things went fairly smoothly. Before the installation, I spoke to my Mazda Service Advisor about alignment and he said I should drive the car for a week or two to enable the springs to settle and then get an alignment. I followed his advice. Even without the alignment, however, the car tracked straight and true with no pulling - the straight-line steering felt pretty much as before. The MSP springs are supposed to lower the car ~ 3/4" after settling.

After the installation, I remounted the stock steels (195/55-15's, the combo I use in the winter) because I wanted to see how much handling was improved from the addition of the MSP springs and struts alone, without any contribution from the wider alloy rims and Yokohama tires. The difference was quite noticeable. Steering into and through turns was quicker and more precise, and turn-in was more rapid. At the same time, I really didn't notice much more suspension harshness, even on fairly rough roads, despite the fact that the suspension is now stiffer. I don't exactly know the right words to use to describe handling changes, but just let me say that it felt great!

With the stock suspension components, changing to the alloy wheels and the Yoko tires improved the handling a great deal. After about two weeks, I replaced the steels with the alloys. As expected, there was a still further increase in handling performance as not only are the Yoko tires wider and grippier than stock, but the aftermarket setup is lighter thus reducing unsprung weight.

I decided to go with the MSP parts, even though they are expensive, to preserve my extended warranty. Since they are, after all, Mazda OEM parts sold as an accessory upgrade, I should have no warranty problems in case anything goes wrong. At some point in the future, when I financially recover from the present monetary hit, I'll be getting the Mazdaspeed Stabilizer Bars to complete the upgrade.

Expensive, but worthwhile, the car is now more fun to drive than ever.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

pics?!?!?!?!? i wanna see pics
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
      pics?!?!?!?!? i wanna see pics
      Sorry, I still don't have a digital camera. I know I should really get one. It's frustrating to me too when I write about something and can't show the results.

02 DX Millenium Red
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I thought the springs/struts alone was great, until I installed the Racing Beat swaybars. You'll love it EVEN MORE with them installed.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
          I thought the springs/struts alone was great, until I installed the Racing Beat swaybars. You'll love it EVEN MORE with them installed.
          That's good to know. I can barely wait until my finances allow that to happen.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

does your front end sit higher than your rear end....i think horsepowerfreaks.com made a big mistake and sent me protege dx struts instead of MSP kyb's because my front sits up about 2 inches higher than the back....ive had them on for about 3 months now and absolutely no settle.
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
              does your front end sit higher than your rear end....i think horsepowerfreaks.com made a big mistake and sent me protege dx struts instead of MSP kyb's because my front sits up about 2 inches higher than the back....ive had them on for about 3 months now and absolutely no settle.
              As I mentioned, my car hasn't fully settled yet either but the front end still sits lower than the rear end as was the case with the stock springs and struts. I don't know if this helps but the front struts are shorter than the rear struts as I'm sure you know and I think the front and rear springs differ in length too. Is it possible for front and rear to be reversed? I don't know myself. Also, the Mazdaspeed struts are painted blue, with yellow rod ends, while the stock struts were black. In addition, the MSP struts have a strengthened stabilizer bar mounting flange compared with the stock struts.

I hope this information helps.

02 DX Millenium Red
              Last edited by goldstar; 07-27-2004, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Mazdaspeed Stabilizer Bars Installed

Having saved enough money, I bought the MSP Stabilizer Bar kit, part no. 0000-8M-C15. This includes a 25 mm front bar, a 20 mm rear bar and a replacement rear subframe required to mount the rear bar. By way of comparison, I measured the OEM DX bars' diameters with my metric caliper-21 mm front; 17.5 mm rear. Since stabilizer bar stiffness increases as the fourth power of the diameter, the MSP front bar is twice as stiff as OEM and the rear bar 1.7 times as stiff. For a technical discussion of this phenomenon, go to:

In the Technical Service Bulletin section of TheMANS FAQ, he notes an improved, replacement bushing for the MSP rear sway bar designed to eliminate the "clunk," part no. BN7H-28-156E. According to TheMAN, it has a teflon sleeve molded to the body of the bushing. Consequently, I also ordered a pair of these E-level bushings.

When it came time to install the stabilizer bars I carefully reviewed the proceedures in the FSM and concluded that I could install the rear bar and new rear crossmember as the job looked fairly simple. However, I decided against installing the new front bar as too much disassembly was required and I didn't feel I had the skill, the ability (or the nerve) to carry out the job successfully, particularly without a lift. So, back to my friend's garage to install the rear bar assembly. Taking our time, it took about 2-hours to complete - a fairly easy job. A few days later, the car went to my Mazda dealer to change out the front bar. The labor charge was US $490 and I had to leave the car overnight. I was quoted a cheaper price by a private shop but I wanted an experienced Mazda technician to do the job.

After installation, the first and most immediately apparent difference was the significant reduction in body lean while cornering, as would be expected. On a number of specific and known corners in my area that I use for practice and to compare changes in suspension components and tires, not only was I able to corner at a higher speed with less body lean, but there was an enhanced feeling of stability and a more precise response to steering inputs. I think perhaps this is due to the reduced lift of the inside wheels during cornering. It's difficult for me to put into words exactly how much and in what way the handling has improved but suffice it to say that the difference between the OEM and MSP bars leaves no doubt as to the advantages of the larger bars.

As already stated, I thought the handling of the stock Protege was great. Now that I have the complete MSP suspension package installed, the handling has become phenomenal and the car is more fun than ever to drive. The transformation is well worth the money I spent.

Happy Motoring!
                Last edited by goldstar; 09-26-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I told ya so! It's awesome isn't it. Congrats on the install.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Yeah the handling difference is incredible. I just about destroyed my shorts the first time I took the MP3 for a spirited backroads drive.

Comment

damn i really need to upgrade my suspension, i have been focusing on speed, lol what the kit go for?

186.08whp
                      225.94wtq
                      torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

damn i really need to upgrade my suspension, i have been focusing on speed, lol what the kit go for?
                        The Stabilizer Bar kit is $368 ($450 sugg. retail) at: www.mazdastuff.com
                        The BN7H-28-156E bushings were $26 for the pair at my local dealer.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

so no pics of the setup? lol

186.08whp
                          225.94wtq
                          torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

so no pics of the setup? lol
                            Sorry, I still don't have a digital camera. I can't afford it yet because lately I've been spending all my money on suspension parts. If it helps at all, the bars are a nice red color and they say Racing Beat on them, LOL.

02 DX Millenium red

Comment

They look like this sans the AWR endlinks:
                              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                              X