Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not the whole shifter assembly!!! damn you mazda :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not the whole shifter assembly!!! damn you mazda :-)

So I called my friendly mazda dealer this morning and he is telling me that in order to replace the plastic retaining rings on my shift lever which I wore out, I need to buy then entire shift lever and it would have the actual pieces I want included with it.

They are worn because I installed a kartboy short throw and corksport bronzoil bushings and kartboy shift linkage bushings which stiffened my shifter assembly a great deal stressing the plastic pieces now and after they are worn down so much they started to vibrate at certain speeds.

So my question is, is this guy on crack or do I really have to buy the whole OEM shift lever (which I will not use) to replace a 99 cent part?

-------
    Or could this be something else? I guess it could be the metal ring that holds it down...but I doubt it. I may have to drive it with the cover off and everthing to see if it's **** in there or under the car. anyone else have expierence with this?

here is a pic of what I need...they guy is holding it.

Here is another pic of the bottom one

this is what the guy faxed to me...as you can see there is not exploded view of the shift lever so he may be right, I just really hope not. Do they not make a preformance aftermarket version of this? Someone should...kartboy? :-D
    Coming soon...
    http://www.jonkinney.com/protegeES

the dealerships are such rip offs. They wouldnt sell me an exhaust manifold from a differnt year because i didnt have that year pro.
    94 Protege LX

Comment

Why don't you just go to a junkyard? Or find it on car-part.com?

Comment

frank...you failed me

So I went there to show frank (the guy) the damn picture of the plastic ring...he verified that they do not have an exploded part list for anything other than the shift lever and it's containing parts and wanted over $250 for it! The Kartboy was only like $120 or something with a knob! Wow...checking car-part.com now and then off to a junkyard if that won't work.

I'm 99% sure this is the same exact part on all proteges ever...so hopefully if I have to result to a junkyard it will be easy to find...I KNEW I should have held on to my wrecked 92 LX protege! DOH!
        Coming soon...

Comment

i checked this in the epc... neither the bj nor the premacy have got single parts for the shifter assembly, but you might try going for parts on other madzas like the 626 99+
          they got the single parts for sale and there's at least a chance that a single part fits.

LOL,edwin was 1 min quicker ^^
          go and order these parts haah
          Attached Files
          Last edited by TStarGermany; 08-22-2005, 01:34 PM.
          Girls on Proteges

Comment

what is the first one for?

Originally posted by TheMAN
            :
            B455-46-086
            9954-10-3801
            Hey Edwin, Thanks for those pn's! Seriously that's awesome...however do you have any pics of them? My local mazda dealer has both parts in stock however he said on one of them the B455-46-086 is in his words "some kind of sheet" what would this be for in my case?

I'm going to go there after work and check the parts out myself but was hoping for a little more direction from you.

Thanks again!
            -Jon
            Coming soon...

Comment

b455....= sheet,ball seal
              Attached Files
              Last edited by TStarGermany; 08-22-2005, 02:27 PM.
              Girls on Proteges

Comment

oh yeah baby

Ooh...that shifts good.........that shifts REALLY good.......HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD THAT SHIFTS!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone that provided me with help and part numbers (you da man...TheMAN) and certainly TStarGermany gets props for clarifying those part #'s in the pics.

The car shifts like I just upgraded it to the short throw again. I'm very excited to have my silence back! that buzzing was driving me nuts! And since my AC and stereo are currently out and I have no passenger seat (for a few days while I'm fixing/adding ****) it will be REALLY quiet now!

Anyone who's shifter feels a bit sloppy...throw the corksport (there are others now though) bronzoil bushings, the kartboy (or others) shift link bushings and 2 new B455-46-086's with 1 new (though you probably don't need this other part as it was not worn on my car) 9954-10-3801 and you're riding smooth as silk. I love my kartboy :-)
                Coming soon...

Comment

Working...
                X