No announcement yet.

Kev's JDM 1997 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removed the tint today because I got pulled over for it the other night. It looked like crap anyway. At least I won't have to pay another ticket now.

Comment

So a Workshop Manual doesn't have wiring diagrams?? Nothing about the ecu at all in this thing. Apparently there's a completely separate book for diagrams??

"1997 Protegé Wiring Diagram........ 5386-10-96G"

So now I need to find that damn thing somewhere. Mother ****er.

Comment

Got her running again. The way they wired in the alarm system was causing problems with wiring up the start safety switch the factory way, so I had to tap into the harness. Not ideal, but it works. And the clutch switch and neutral switch are both wired up to the ECU correctly. Idled fine, a little high, but no bouncing like before and the check engine light didn't come back on (used to come on instantly when the engine started). Only problem now is the a/c doesn't seem to be working. Which is weird because I didn't touch any of the a/c wiring. I'll take another look tomorrow to make sure I didn't leave a connector unplugged or something.

No to just solve that popping sound in the front suspension...

Comment

Well, that didn't work.

Comment

If the A/C is wired similar to the way it is in the BG look for a temp sensor only listed for the ATX in your A/C wiring diagram.

The GTX and the atx bg's have some asinine sensor that cuts off the AC if the radiator gets too hot, or if the switch breaks.

Or you removed some random ground out of the loop switching to the MTX ECU. Pop it back in and see if that fixes the AC.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
            kitty, you are a hilarious woman
            Originally posted by HopelessCow
            there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I didn't undo any grounds or touch the A/C wiring (that I know of), but there is a "Thermal Protection Switch" somewhere between the relay and the compressor, according to the diagram. I'll have to find that.

Does anyone happen to know what the resistance readings should be for the clutch/neutral switch at the ECU? I have everything wired up, and I'm getting resistance changes when moving the clutch pedal or the shifter in and out of neutral, but the ECU is still throwing the P1797(?) code.

About ready to put this thing on Craigslist along with the '98 and just go get the new Miata like I've been wanting to.

Edit: I think I fixed it. Stupid me was reading the diagram backwards. The pins for the clutch/neutral switches and the A/C switch are exact opposites. Clutch/neutral is the fourth pin from the left with a black wire/blue stripe. The A/C is the fourth pin from the right with a Blue wire/black stripe. I'm an idiot, but it's fixed, no more check engine lights, and I can get it inspected now.
              Last edited by irishkev90; 09-06-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I think I've gotten the suspension popping sorted. Put the car up in ramps and loosened both front end links and set them with no preload. I must have only had it on jack stands when I put them in. The left side was worse than the right and the end joints are kind of stiff, almost like the ball is too big for the eye. Probably worn from going so long before fixing it. The front end feels a little looser now, though. I'm not sure if it actually is or if I'm just being over sensitive after changing something. I just need to get the hood scoop painted and on the car (maybe with the airbox and a hole in the hood) and maybe touch up some spots around the car before I put it up for sale.

Comment

Thinking I need to get some new engine mounts. Or at least just the front or rear. I can feel the engine rocking pretty bad when I lift off or press the accelerator. It's more like an on/off switch than a dimmer (if that makes sense) and it makes it difficult and uncomfortable to crawl in slow moving traffic.

I know they don't make urethane mounts for this chassis so I have two options. Either fill the current mounts and hope they stay together or find some urethane/solid mounts and somehow make them fit the car.

Any advice, guys? The car is going away for the winter in the next month or so. I'd like to get it done before then, but if I can't, oh well. I also just ordered a stock replacement resonator pipe because what I have no is too big and scrapes over bumps and hits the tunnel on left turns.

Comment

ace hardware brand plumbers epoxy to fill the mounts. add washers on the sides of the mounts. and enjoy
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

The washers just used to hold the epoxy in place?

Comment

Eh I've only had luck with 3m window weld for mounts. Other **** just seems to vibrate itself to death or not like being exposed to engine oil and heat.
                        Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

in all honesty. iv'e done the window weld & the plumbers epoxy versions.
                          the plumbers epoxy vibrates significantly less and also holds the motor more stout.
                          after all the years of filling them- i've had 2 that started to have the edges crack out.- probably because i didnt' clean them off well enough before packing in the epoxy.
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I'll have to try filling a mount, then. If it doesn't work at least I won't be out as much money as the AWR/similar solid mount.

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                              in all honesty. iv'e done the window weld & the plumbers epoxy versions.
                              the plumbers epoxy vibrates significantly less and also holds the motor more stout.
                              after all the years of filling them- i've had 2 that started to have the edges crack out.- probably because i didnt' clean them off well enough before packing in the epoxy.
                              I'd rather have the engine/mount vibrate a bit though. If you wanted full solid I'd used resin over an silicon/urethane epoxy. I did that on the BHA for the front and the rear and I could of probably just ran only those two mounts if I had really wanted.
                              Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

I don't think I'll be going fully solid. This is just a daily driver. I'm looking for something that will still absorb vibration (at least mostly), but reduce or eliminate the engine rocking back and forth when transitioning between gas on and gas off.

Comment

Working...
                                X