Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been off of here for a while, but need help - Mazda disease is eating me!
    Now I have 3x 323, 4x Protege, 2x MPV, 1x Mercury Capri, and a couple of B6 DOHC Miata engines (one is all of a Miata except the body panels)
    Think I will be needing some B6 DOHC head and intake parts to put one of the Miata engines in daughter's 323.
    Went by Greyhound to Tennessee last week and drove the second MPV home, my first one needs more work than I have time for now - so I fell into this NO RUST one to replace it. Drove 600 miles home, didn't realize til the next day the tires are oversized, so my gas mileage was about 20mpg at 90mph!

FRM

Comment

Did the ghetto replace the rod bearings only fix today. Only big issue I had was one of the MBSP bolts heads rounded off and because of how soft and small they are I had to air hammer it's head off. I was impressed I didn't damage anything in the process.

It was number 4 that bit the dust although the other ones were showing their age. Oddly enough the #4 rod journal was in the best shape out of any of them. I'm guess in self machining it somehow polished itself. Only rod journal one didn't pass the fingernail test, I'd wrap that up to it being first in line for debris. I only bothered checking the oil clearance on 1 and 4 . 1 was ~.035mm and 4 was .050mm. I mineral spirited the oil passages the best I could to loosen any bearing flakes but most of them were at the bottom of the oil pan to start and I trust most of the remainder now live in my old oil filter. Crank play was nonexistent and if the engine didn't burn oil I'd trust the damn thing for another 50k if it doesn't **** the bed on cranking tomorrow.

Also I snapped an oil pan bolt at 50 in/lbs. **** those bolts.
      Last edited by Kitty; 10-10-2015, 06:32 PM.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I wonder which is the sketchier method of removing that bolt, air hammering the head off or using a size smaller socket and hammering it on so you can remove it normally

===

I managed to snag the street parking spot directly in front of my apartment over a week ago and haven't touched the car since, because a) I don't want to lose that spot and b) I can walk to the majority of the places I need to go. living in a real city is weird.
        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
          I wonder which is the sketchier method of removing that bolt, air hammering the head off or using a size smaller socket and hammering it on so you can remove it normally

===

I managed to snag the street parking spot directly in front of my apartment over a week ago and haven't touched the car since, because a) I don't want to lose that spot and b) I can walk to the majority of the places I need to go. living in a real city is weird.
          Does the hose reach to the street so you can wash it now and then? Don't want it to look abandoned you know.

Comment

I've been waiting to get a ticket or something, it's covered with leaves from being parked under the tree and it has CT plates on it... nothing yet, but I'll be driving it in a few days anyway so I'm not worried about it.
            sigpic

Comment

===

I tried the smaller socket method first, it just took some metal off on first turn. Air hammering is probably the best option for the scenario as cutting will just get metal shards everywhere.

BG is on the road again and purring, it got a fancy cast aluminum HKS VAF filter adapter for being such a good sport.

My spare block also fell on the ground while on the engine stand and broke the crank boss. Fun day overall.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Back in the BG game again, just picked up a '94 DX manual with 70k miles and MINT interior for $500. Needs some maintenance done, but I can't wait to get it on the road. Shifter bushings are shot so bad I couldn't even tell what gear I was in. Has an exhaust leak, busted up windshield due to hood popping up which is dented as well, and the clear coat is coming off because Florida but rust free! I'll be into this car under 1k after doing everything it needs, should be a great DD! I can post pics later if anyone wants to see.

Comment

I got a question guys. Can i buy a dohc head to instal into a sohc motor?

Comment

you know, instead of asking the same question in a bunch of different threads, you could try using the search feature.
                    sigpic

Comment

Replaced alternator and PS/AC belts, replaced ball joints and sway bar end links. New alternator on Wednesday, didn't want to eff with the belt in the waning daylight so did that yesterday.

Comment

Got around to installing the master cutoff switch, have to have it according to sanctioned drag strips for batteries that are relocated to trunk. I may try to find a more appealing sticker, the white is a little too much for me.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151017_182338.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	1241580

Comment

registered it today. car-related costs down here are insane- insurance is more than twice as expensive and getting the registration/title was $428 (in CT it would have been like $120ish + taxes, which are like ****-all on a 14-year old car with 189k).
                          sigpic

Comment

registered it today. car-related costs down here are insane- insurance is more than twice as expensive and getting the registration/title was $428 (in CT it would have been like $120ish + taxes, which are like ****-all on a 14-year old car with 189k).
                            I titled and registered my car that was 3 years expired (not turning in title) in Minnesota and it was less then $90 out the door. Would've been $380 in my home state (Illinois).

Comment

yesterday, I moved my BPT from the hoist where it's been for the last long time onto an engine stand. and realized that all the little bolts that I had lined up are gonna be a PITA to remember where they go. and I might be missing one of the MBSB bolts. Are the four bolts that hold the collar for the rear main seal to the block two different lengths, since the thickness of the collar is slightly thinner on the upper bolts?

Comment

scratched a 'new' valvecover today... thinking of getting it painted soon. will likely be the only asthetic piece to the 'build'
                                1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                                Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                                "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Working...
                                X