OBDII monitors not ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBDII monitors not ready

Does anybody know what the drive cycle is for a 96 Protege 1.5? I'm having trouble with 4 OBDII monitors set to "Not Ready" and therefore can't pass inspection. The 4 monitors are EGR, EVAP, O2, and Catalyst. The car runs OK, idle jumps a little and some vibration on the highway but those shouldn't affect the OBDII monitors. I have no check engine light and no DTC codes.

I'm looking for any suggestions and also the drive cycle instructions for this car so I can do some more testing. So far I have been using a "generic drive cycle", which is similar to Ford's it hasn't been working.

Originally posted by kruiser
    Does anybody know what the drive cycle is for a 96 Protege 1.5? I'm having trouble with 4 OBDII monitors set to "Not Ready" and therefore can't pass inspection. The 4 monitors are EGR, EVAP, O2, and Catalyst. The car runs OK, idle jumps a little and some vibration on the highway but those shouldn't affect the OBDII monitors. I have no check engine light and no DTC codes.

I'm looking for any suggestions and also the drive cycle instructions for this car so I can do some more testing. So far I have been using a "generic drive cycle", which is similar to Ford's it hasn't been working.
    In my experience trying to pass DEQ, its about 100 miles it seems, for all sensors to start reporting correctly.

Did you by chance unplug your battery, or reset the computer lately?
    '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
    2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

Comment

agreed, sounds like you resent the ecu

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
        SEARCH!!!
        Behold, a God among men, he is!
        '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
        2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

Comment

i have about 5K miles on my car sence resetting the computer and those monitors are also not ready.
          find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

I searched the board and the FAQ section and have a few questions:

1. In TSB 3870, "2. Monitor RPM PID and LONGFT PID using NGS or WDS. ", what are PID, NGS and WDS? I suppose an advanced scanning tool is needed to monitor these values. TheMan do you know any laptop based scanning software (preferrablly free)? My Actron 1935 is very basic and has no sensor readings (Does Autozone loan out better scanners than the Actron 1935?).

2. TheMan since you mentioned that O2 sensors directly affect LONGFT and SHORTFT in this thread: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...light=monitors , how do I check if the O2 sensor is defective or not? I have no check engine light and no DTC codes. I suppose once I install a better sanning software and read the LONGFT and SHORTFT values then I will know, but is there a way to check it otherwise? The O2 sensor is $96 at Autozone so I want to make sure that it's bad before replacing it (car has 82,000 miles).

I have driven 7000 miles since the last time the battery was disconnected, so theoretically all the monitors should have been set already.

Also cleaned the EGR valve last week with the help of old threads on this forum, so now the car accelerates better, idles smoother though still not perfect, and the long "warm-up" time is fixed (I will post my EGR experience in another thread.).

I have already adjusted base idle speed to 750 RPM and timing to the default 10 degrees BTDC, as stated in TSB 3870 and in tnut55's thread quoted above (with TEN and GND terminals jumped). For tnut55, who had the exact same problem as me, those adjustments had a direct effect on getting the monitors ready, it seems, after a drive cycle.

So now I also need the Mazda OBD drive cycle. I searched this board and also googled and came up with nothing. Again, does anyone know the Mazda 2nd gen Protege OBD DRIVE CYCLE??

Thanks to all.
            Last edited by kruiser; 08-06-2005, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X