Z5+B6+turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z5+B6+turbo

My current setup is a Z5 engine block with the DOHC B6 head, with a nissan T28 turbo.
    Attached Files
    Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

This is my naturally aspirated BP, that i have another T28 stuck on it.
    i am hoping to put this in with in the next 2 weeks.
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!

So the b6 head will swap onto the z5 block. Is their differences in timing belt setups?

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

F^(king awesome! More info please?

What year and model is the head from? Head gasket? Distributor? Manifolds, throttle body? Electronics; What wiring was used/modified?

The difference in the bore between the Z5 and B6 has to cause a minor complication. Did you bore out the Z5 block to match the head?
        1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

The only difference in displacement is the stroke. The bore is the same (78mm). The b6 has a longer stroke which gives it more displacement. The head on the b6 should line up but I don't know if the compression ratio will change.

Comment

Very, very very very nice setup you got there!!!!!!

Comment

the b6 is what? some kind of crx motor? how complicated is the head swap? is it just a bolt on operation? i'm very very interested in this.

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
                the b6 is what? some kind of crx motor? how complicated is the head swap? is it just a bolt on operation? i'm very very interested in this.
                he has the head out of a mazda b6 1.6l motor. same one that came in the early 90's miata and i think as well as the earliest gtx's they used a version of the b6. i don't know what other cars it comes in but i'm pretty sure its the same one he's got

Comment

how hard do you think this swap would be to do?

Comment

we actually get the B6, which is the same as the one found in the miata, in the protege here in barbados....buyt my car came straight from japan, so it came with the Z5. I am using the longer timing belt which is found on the B6 because it has to compensate for the 2 cam gears as oppose to the on cam gear found on the Z5.
                    I originally had the 1.6 engine turbo charged, but for some reason i found the thrust washers in the oil pan, so i guess it was time for a rebuild... that is also when i went inton thiking. and i decided to get the BP instead of spending my money on rebuilding the B6. but there was no way that i was giving up the turbo feeling.. and the only manifold i had was to fit the B6 head...that is when i bolt the B6 head unto the Z5 bottom.

Comment

Oops, my bad about the bore comment.

The B6 is the B8/BP's little brother. It's a Mazda engine!!!!!

The version used here would need to be from one of the fwd applications. The B6-ZE (?) in the early Miatas was mounted in rwd fashion.

Originally posted by TwinCam16
                      we actually get the B6,..
                      I could have sworn that I remembered reading something about second gens with B6s in some parts of the world.
                      These are the logical source as they were produced during the same product cycle as the Z5 and for the same car.

We would probably need to import a complete top end to get all the manifolds and electronics. The only other option I can think of is to retrofit a 1.6 DOHC MX-3 head or a 323/Tracer B6T head. That is making my head hurt just thinking about it.

Are you using the stock Z5 wiring? Which manifolds, distributor, throttle body are you using? Do all the oil and coolant passages line up perfectly? Which head gasket are you using; Z5 or B6?
                      1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

The z5 engine was based off of the b6 engine. I havn't researched much on interchanging parts but the head gaskets seem to look close to the same. As long as the b6 head uses the same ignition system their shouldn't be to much problem making it work. ? is does the b6t head bolt to the z5.

Comment

well what all cars come with the b6 cause im kinda interested in this and they make a turbo manifold for the b6?

Comment

Try this webpage for mazda engine history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B_engine#b6

Comment

I am using the stock Z5 wiring, The Z5 distributor(which is the same for all), and the TPS and the Cold start sensor and coolant tomperature sensor are used back, as they are all interchangeble. i am using the head gasket to match the block, so i am using the Z5 head gasket. and they aren't the same exactly but they are interchangeble because the bore is very close. And all the oil and water passages line up as well as all the bolt holes, so it is a simple bolt on.

judging from this i would say that the B6T head would be able to bolt on.

Comment

Working...
                              X