Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Protege DX for sale first $500 CASH TAKES HER

I am selling my 92 Protege DX.

The mileage on the odometer reads about 126K miles. However the speedometer cable was broken when I got it, so I suspect that the car probably has more miles than indicated.

Why am I selling the car?

I am selling it because I just purchased a 94 Infiniti G-20. Since this Protege is a 5 speed, and my wife wants to learn how to drive. It didn't really make any sense for me to teach her on a stick, when an auto was available to me.

The car is parked in Gaithersburg, Maryland (Southern Maryland), but if necessary, I could probably move it over to the Marine Corps base in Quantico, Virginia (Northern Virginia) for you to check out.

My signature pretty well details the car.

The car runs, and did just fine on a 2K mile round trip to Florida. Cost me $75 in gas each way.

Here is a summary of the car:

Good:

This car runs, it will get you going to where you need to go, no BS. This car has been babied by me. It starts up every time.
    Receipts documenting maintainence.
    New Tires (2K old)
    Recent alignment. Car was aligned and is within "factory spec".
    MX-3 seats in good shape.
    Jensen CD player with 4 new speakers (also plays MP3's)
    New Oxygen sensor, window crank handles, mats, NGK plug wires, and autolite plugs.
    Virginia safety inspection passed and emission passed.
    Car Bra.
    Just had base timing set.
    Double wiper blades
    EBAY high flow filter. (Brand unknown)
    New Stant Superstat
    No problems with the axles.
    No leaks.
    Interior in good shape...back seat has some stains that may or may not be removable.
    Haynes book included.
    New Sylvania X-tra Brights.
    Aftermarket Pedal Covers.
    New coolant temperature sensor and thermoswitch.
    New Mazda PCV valve.
    New Gas cap.
    New Fuel Filter.
    New Front Wheel bearing (can't remember which side).
    New Serpentine Belts (both).
    New Upper and Lower Radiator hoses and clamps.
    Transmission does not grind in any gear.
    Car tracks pretty straight down the road. Suspension still feels tight.

Bad:

Car sometimes smokes for a few seconds on startup. (It's oil, not water). (Even with this, consumption is only about 1 quart every 1000 miles.)
    Windshield recently incurred a rock chip on the way home from Florida. (It's pretty small actually).
    Car smells of gas sometimes when the tank is filled all the way.
    Will need front brakes soon.
    Could use some minor body work on the roof, and maybe a paint job. (I'd say its in about average shape for a 92 protege, I have seen far worse.) This car does have some rust.
    A/C needs a charge (so it might have a leak). It does blow cold when it is recharged though. A/C has been retrofitted to R-134.
    Gas door cable is broken. You must manually open the fuel door, when you are gassing up.
    I replaced the speedometer cable with one from a junkyard because I couldn't see how fast I was going when I was driving. After replacing the cable, the needle bounces a little bit until it reaches 40 mph. The needle stays perfectly smooth after that.

I paid $875 8 months ago. The car is in better shape than when I bought it.

I want $500 for this car FIRM.

PM me if interested.

Email: jj200282@gmail.com

Instant Messenger:

aol: fast93z

yahoo: infotec28

Thanks

P.S. CAR SOLD AS IS, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.

PICS do not reflect the MX-3 seats. Car is dirty now, I do not have the time to clean it up to the condition that you see pictured.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dx92beater; 02-25-2006, 11:21 PM.
    93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Former Car: 92 Protege DX 5 spd.

no longer for sale, going to keep it...
    93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Comment

good choice. time for a motor swap
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

one day, thanks
        93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

smart man, better to keep it since price of fuel is running through the roof these days.

Comment

exactly, I'll just keep the SOHC...I just drive it back and forth to work everyday nice and soft, trying to get as many MPG as I can out of her...
            93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

So I am going to put this car back up for sale again. I don't need a second car anymore.

Here is what has changed: Believe it or not, I just popped over $600 into the car.

The car now has a brand new gas tank, and new front brakes.

So the gas smell no longer applies.

AC compressor has begun to rattle when engaged (works fine if you keep it off).

The car no longer needs new brakes.

The car doesn't have Sylvania X-tra Brights anymore or double wiper arms (just regular working bulbs and new regular wiper blades)

The MX-3 seats are in pretty damn good shape.

The gas filler door situation is not too bad. Just use the edge of your key and open the door.

Good for a winter beater or a BP swap. I don't want to deal with the taxes, inspections, insurance, and emissions anymore.

You could probably squeeze near 50 miles per gallon out of this car on the highway!!

I checked the compression numbers, and they were WELL above the service limit. (In fact like a new engine). I don't have the numbers on me sorry.

Best offer above $500. I think this is reasonable considering the $600 I just put into her, so don't offer me $500. Shoot me a PM.
              Last edited by dx92beater; 10-27-2006, 06:53 PM.
              93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

You should not have put a single penny more on that car and then sold it as-is for the same $500. Well, that's with the exception of the brakes. The reason is that no one gives a single dollar more for fixes. I hope you can get the $600 or so you want. Put $700 on the window and then lower it according to the haggling.

Comment

You are right. I shouldn't have put any more money into it. I figured that I would keep it, but the other car has some problems, and I want to put money into it instead.

Then how about this you all....$500 takes the car. Not a penny less.
                  93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

put it on craigslist, you'll DEFINITELY get replies, especially in your area

i sold mine in worse condition for 500, now that you have new parts, you could probably get 800.

this isn't the best place to sell a dx, everybody already has what they want, and dont want to downgrade

just my $.02

Comment

That is correct. In the past I owned two 1st gens and both were DX's and were great cars. However, here it's always shoved down your throat how lame a DX is in terms of speed because of the engine being single cam (SOHC). Craigslist should be real good. I'm always on my local craigslist.org

Comment

Working...
                      X