Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 atx starting problems

im kinda stumped by the problems occuring with my g/f's 97 protege

it is very sparadic but the car sometimes doesnt want to start up...btw, it runs excellent when it does start...

it turns over effortlessly, no dead spots during the cranking process (so the problem cant be the battery or starter) but sometimes it just doesnt want to crank all the way & fire up... like i said it is very speradic, like a couple times every other week...

we changed plugs, cap and rotor, we run nothing but 93 octane since we bought it a month ago (as the previous owner also did the same), basically a full tune up
    (the entire fuel system was also redone by mazda by the previous owner, reciept proven)

ive kinda of come to the conclusion that it may be a failing distributor (it looks to be the original one, and have about 170+k miles on this car)...

or a fuel problem possibly, even though the rails, fpr and such are practically new...

ive been told from the previous owner that thier seems to be a gas leak near the tank and that it could possibly not be holding pressure so it may be leading to the engine flooding quicker than normal... he also mentioned that when the engine seems to show signs of flooding that we have to replace the plugs...

im personally hoping its just a failing distributor, but im hoping that some of you guys can point me in the right direction to getting this problem fixed before we just go blowing $ on parts

thanks
    Last edited by driftwood; 10-14-2006, 11:19 PM.
Working...
X