Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed timing belt on "New" 99 Prottege 5 spd 1.6 ZM dies, quits when engine is warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed timing belt on "New" 99 Prottege 5 spd 1.6 ZM dies, quits when engine is warm

I bought a 99 Protege with 167 K in generally good shape. When I bbought , it drove well but had a very rough idle. I figured the Throttle Intake was very dirty and I would get around to it, so I gnored the rough idle.

I changed the tming belt, water pump and plugs. I flushed the cooling system.The last mechanic didnt have the cam notches/crank notch perfectly aligned

I took her for a test drive. She starts very well cold but as soon as she warms up, she quits/dies when I take my foot off the throttle. I figued the last key setting i changed was the Crank Position Senosr gap, so I changed the gap a little and now she just idles very roughly as if the engine is going to jump out of the car. Its a little bit lworse then way she was before I changed the timing belt, but at leasnt she doesn't die now.

I think Imade something worse when i changed the timing belt, but it was already there before I changed it. No OBD II codes.The engine shakes like it isnt even bolted down Any ideas?
Working...
X