No announcement yet.

FSP 1st Gen Protege Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took he car out to Carolina Motorsports Park yesterday for an event. They cone down the West course and turn it into a high speed autoX. It was a ton of fun and we finally got to feel what the car could do on a faster layout. The course required two shifts into 3rd gear, both were slalom sections. We could do the first slalom WOT short shifting to third about 50 feet before the first cone. I've got my rev limiter set a little low just to be nice to the motor and I wished I had brought my lap top to the event so I could have upped it just a smidge.

The car felt awesome and we are really starting to get a feel for the tire pressures and rebound adjustments on the struts. I haven't seen results posted yet, but I'm pretty sure I got FTP and would have had FTD except for the shifter kart. The clutch is slipping just a bit and I'll need to get that fixed before we head to the DC Pro Solo. There were some pictures taken and I'll hopefully have something to post up in the next day or so.

I'm running the 1.6L Miata clutch. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, cheap replacement? The F1 racing ebay clutch seems to hold up well on my friends turbo Miata.

Comment

Autozone Probe/MX6 V6 clutch.

Comment

Sooo... how's about that Probe clutch!

Nice to meet you. :D I'll give you a couple days to tell everyone your results. Car looked GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by concealer404 View Post
          Sooo... how's about that Probe clutch!

Nice to meet you. :D I'll give you a couple days to tell everyone your results. Car looked GREAT!

Good meeting you too. I'll do a full write up as soon as I get some sleep. Peru to NC was a long drive to do after a full day of AutoX. I should have some videos up soon as well, but I wasn't happy with any of my runs so I'm not sure I'll like watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
            Good meeting you too. I'll do a full write up as soon as I get some sleep. Peru to NC was a long drive to do after a full day of AutoX. I should have some videos up soon as well, but I wasn't happy with any of my runs so I'm not sure I'll like watching them.
            I am really curious to see how your car is doing racing.. What are you running for sway bar set ups now??

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
              I am really curious to see how your car is doing racing.. What are you running for sway bar set ups now??

The car is doing well. We still need a little more HP and my driving could always improve. The car is competitive right now, but I'm in a bit of a rut with my driving which is holding the car back.

I'm still running the stock rear swaybar. The front setup is the DX swaybar attached to the struts and the ST helper bar attached to the control arms.

Comment

Finally back from Peru and rested up a little. What a long weekend. There isn't really much to talk about. The car was a little pushy most of Saturday's runs and we kept raising the rear air pressures and rear shock rebound until we got it better. Our front tires were starting to show cord after Saturdays runs. This was probably accelerated by the car understeering. We got the tires flipped that evening, but one was looking like it probably wouldn't last through Sunday. Luckily, Sunday's course wasn't as hard on the tires and the better setup on the car kept us from shredding them. I wasn't terribly happy about any of my rns all weekend. I just couldn't put the whole thing together. One of our competitor's blew his motor on Saturday which put them at a disadvantage. That was lucky for me as I had to run a conservative 3rd run on Sunday to get a clean run. My lead from Saturday helped me stay ahead. We've got a better idea of how to set the car up for concrete now and we are slowly getting it back to what it felt like when it was at it's fastest.

My codriver and I swept the top 2 spots in a 5 car FSP class and Nikki won FSPL over one other female.

Here are the vidoes from last weekend. Sorry for the bad camera angles, we had a nice suction mount, but didn't have a good interior window position to stick it. The roof shots turned out OK. There were some cone penalties in the videos so, not our fastest clean runs.

Saturday

Fastest Time for me

Fastest Time for co-driver

Fastest Time for Nikki

Sunday

Fastest Time for me

Fastest Time for co-driver

Fastest Time for Nikki

Comment

Ive been wanting to see some vids of this car for a long time! Nice runs
                  I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                  |.....Overnight....................| ||
                  |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                  |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                  "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                  Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
                    Ive been wanting to see some vids of this car for a long time! Nice runs
                    Thanks. I'm going to make a new camera mount to put the camera right between the seats and then we'll have multiple camera angles on every run using two cameras.

We will be racing locally in Winston Salem this Sunday and it's a good place to get video from outside the car. Hopefully we can get a few more vids that way.

Comment

Only picture of the car I can find from last weekend. Nikki driving and looking ahead.

Comment

how fast are you going threw the hoosiers??? I know with our cars camber is heard to get and that can eat up front tires on a fwd car..

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
                          how fast are you going threw the hoosiers??? I know with our cars camber is heard to get and that can eat up front tires on a fwd car..

We are sitting on 61 runs for the tires on the car right now. We should be able to get a few more runs out of them, but I don't expect to ever see 70 out of this set. The Hoosiers start to lose competitive grip after 20-30 runs so we try to just pull those off and use them for local events.

The car has been on a slightly more understeer prone setup for this set of tires as I wanted my co-driver and girlfriend to have a little more confidence in the car. It's tough learning to drive a car that is set up loose. Now that they are pushing the car and finding the limits of the front tires we will loosen it up a bit and that should help front tire wear.

Comment

We finally shredded the front Hoosiers down to where they are useless over the weekend after getting over 70 runs on them. It was pretty amazing how fast they fell off. Every run the front of the car got noticeably less responsive. Even so I finished 5th in PAX just behind a handful of the great national competitors that I run with locally.

Here is a video a friend shot from the grandstands...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

We got some in car/on car video as well that hasn't been uploaded.

Comment

damn quick for sure.

Comment

I love this car...... just saying
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X