323 picking up where I left off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323 picking up where I left off.

​ So back in april 2022, my 323 got destroyed by an uninsured dumbass who ran a red light.

Click image for larger version  Name:	18082021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.3 KB ID:	1406412

A few months later I found another one, and ever since I've been trying to fand the time/money/motivation to transfer all the important bits from my wreck to the new replacement body.

Figured I'd start a worklog.

Apologies in advance, I'm bad at remembering to take pictures.

I only have one before picture of the new shell, and it already has a few things done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	07062022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	1406411
    Last edited by me109; 10-04-2022, 06:16 PM.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

In the last week I've removed the auto shifter/cable/key trap, and started tearing out the lower dash. I also removed the front lights, bumper, grill to facilitate pulling the engine and transaxle out. Everything is disconnected from the engine and transaxle except a starter wire I couldn't get a tool on and the exhaust manifold which is soaking in penetrating oil.

Dash is coming apart because it's a 92 and needs a wire harness transplant to work with the manual ECU. And because I'm moving the AC over to it. That should be fun.

Plan is to keep the B6 and F series from the wreck, keep the AC, keep the depowered MX-3 steering rack, keep as much tinted glass as I can, and get back to rallycross next year. Once the wreck is gone I'll see about getting a BP swap ready, but I'm not in a rush to get there.

Next step is raising the front end and pulling axles and exhaust.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Comment

Did some interior detail painting today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	02102022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	1406409

Click image for larger version  Name:	04102022(003).jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	1406405

Click image for larger version  Name:	02102022(002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	1406404

Click image for larger version  Name:	04102022(004).jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	1406406

Click image for larger version  Name:	04102022(001).jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	1406407

Click image for larger version  Name:	04102022(002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	1406408
      1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Comment

Real, tangible progress today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0028.JPG Views:	0 Size:	246.7 KB ID:	1406416

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0030.JPG Views:	0 Size:	251.3 KB ID:	1406415
        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Comment

I like the white touches.
          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
          "Who Dey"

Comment

Thanks.
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Pulled the pedal cage and steering column in preparation for wiring harness and front subframe removal. Click image for larger version

Name:	11102022.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1406421 Click image for larger version

Name:	11102022(001).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1406422
              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Comment

Front subframe and wiring harness out. Need to address rust next. That makes me nervous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08112022(003).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1406443

Name:	08112022.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1406442
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

How did you get your instrument cluster out without breaking it or the dash?

Comment

It's just four screws holding it in. And the speedo cable on the back. Pretty easy to do. I even rolled the odometer to the correct mileage for this car.
                    1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

Well, I've been stuck out of state for a couple of weeks. My daily had an unexpected engine failure after a screw vibrated out and opened up a plate on the side of the block that was holding all the oil in. Anyway, I'm back now.

Today I started up the wreck so it could idle for a while and it finally ran out of gas. Need to get some rattlecan primer soon so I can derust the new shell while the engine is out.
                      1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Comment

Pulled all the AC pipes out of the engine bay of the donor yesterday. Pulled the AC Harness. Disconnected the main harness from everything in the engine bay. Front bumper is off. Thinking about swapping the radiator support. It's a lot less rusty. But it would mean welding, and then I'd want to swap the strut towers too and it probably wouldn't end there. I'm thinking about it.

Need to dump coolant and then the engine and transaxle should be ready to come out of the donor.
                        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Comment

Progress today.

Name:	13022023.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1406524

Name:	13022023_001_.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1406525

Also got pedal cage moved over, and front brake lines replaced. Shifter linkage is out.

Need to get the subframe migrated next. Hopefully this week.

No connector for my clutch switch. I don't forsee that being a problem, but if anybody knows something I don't, feel free to tell me why I need it.
                          1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Comment

Sunday was a big day. I got the subframe up and in, engine/transaxle inatalled. Even put the hood back on. Next is stripping the wrecked carcass and getting it out of here by this weekend.

Name:	05032023_001_.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1406530

Name:	05032023_002_.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1406531

Name:	05032023_003_.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1406532

Name:	05032023.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1406533
                            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Comment

Wreck is gone.

Wiring is in place and connected to all the electronics that are currently installed. I got the dash almost entirely back together and the consoles in. The interior is starting to look less like a project. I'll get pictures next time I think about it. Tired and hungry now.
                              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                              X