Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sock's BP-Swappin' 323 Project Thread (Comments Appreciated!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad i've never lived in/bought cars where snow and salt are an issue...
    95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rayman View Post
      glad i've never lived in/bought cars where snow and salt are an issue...
      But snow & salt are an incentive to rust-proof the car every year, and make it last that much longer =)

Comment

or an incentive to buy a winter beater.
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Rear tire off.

Cut the hole to the size I want (would prefer no hole at all, but **** me).

Made a patch

When finished, it will all be hidden behind the sideskirt anyways.
          I peered out from the castle window and looked over the splendor of ROTM county. Yes, twas' a much simpler time back then. Peasants would go about their postings, and I, the mod, would rule over them with an iron fist.

Comment

Got the patch mostly tacked in place. Lots of ugly little holes to fill, not that it really matters (under side skirt).

Burned through in lots of places trying to get my heat/wirespeed correct. Oh well, practice makes perfect.
            I peered out from the castle window and looked over the splendor of ROTM county. Yes, twas' a much simpler time back then. Peasants would go about their postings, and I, the mod, would rule over them with an iron fist.

Comment

what welder are u using?
              95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

the sheet metal guage is too thin. i would of strongly recommended thicker.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Id recommend a product called deox gel for removing rust etc especially in badly pitted areas, can buy it from here http://www.bilthamber.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                    no the metal should as close to the original as possible, otherwise they will heat and cool at different rates and warp
                    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                      It was 20ga mild steel. Seemed about the thickness of the body panel.

Most of the issue was from my crappy 240v welder and my lack of skill.

Comment

8hours of wearing fireproof coveralls in heat wasn't enough for me. Out in the garage after work I go!

Starting to strip the car on the inside as well.

Threw some mud to fill in the weld marks and gave it a quick sand before deciding it was too damn hot in the garage to go on.

Comment

Looks good, it's just sheet metal anyways, not part of any structural whatsoever

Comment

Originally posted by 323driver View Post
                            Looks good, it's just sheet metal anyways, not part of any structural whatsoever

and totally hidden by the sideskirt when done.

Comment

Another fine evening spent indoors.

The 323's hatch makes a perfect work platform to sand the crappy spot below the top of the hatch and the roof.

Comment

Lookin' good. Really nice work. You have kiwi's the size of coconuts for attempting to weld on the rockers. LOL It must have been like trying to weld a snow flake to a dew drop. Since the rockers are not structural, I fiberglass-ed mine. The "metal" down there is aluminum soda can thin.
                                Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X