Rayman's 90 323 work log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea, stock calipers and pads for now.

i will be the 1st to admit the rotors are humongous, when i first took them out the box they looked weird. i didnt get them drilled/slotted b/c i was doing R&D with them to get a prototype working, so i got the solid ones as they cost the least. but i can get the rotors in slotted, drilled or both.

my main goal to this kit was 1) low cost - thus retaining alot of stock components, 2) simplicity - as mentioned, it's a sub 1-hr job, u don't even need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

so anyways, i didnt really develop this kit for sales purposes, i've always wanted big brakes. the project started for my probe GT, but never got around to it as i moved and that car is 3000 miles away. so now the 323 picks up the parts. i just figure once i get the brackets/hardware figured out, i can just offer it to people who want it on an individual basis, and a group buy would cut cost down of course. i'm not stocking an inventory of kits here. i'm perfectly happy to be the one-off guy with this set up, but if someone (w/ 17" wheels) is interested and doesnt want to spend 1G on a full aftermarket upgrade, then this might worth considering. thats all.
    95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

i took care of the minor clearance issue i was having last night, took it out for a spin and here's my initial driving/braking impression:

*please keep in mind that i'm not running a C&D/R&T operation, so there are no exact scientific numbers.

braking distance - i did 5 60-0 runs on a quiet industrial side street across from my place, and on the stock setup, (don't laugh at this) i started braking at a light pole and when it came to a dead stop, and on average my bumper is just short of the next pole (+/-2 ft). on the new setup, same speed, same start point, and on average i stopped about 1/2 car length (+/-2 ft) from the very same next pole. so i would say the distance was slightly improved by about 1/2 car length from 60-0mph.
      95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

most of u can agree that as car guys, when we do something to our car, even though it might really not have make that much of a difference, we swear that it does, like putting a cold air intake on and we swear the car's faster....well here's the next subject:

braking feel - i know i didnt change the lines or the pads or the calipers. however, the overall feel was much more confident. the paddle feel is slightly stiffer/firmer (though i dont know how it could be - i will even personally chalk that as a placebo effect). but one DEFINITE improvement is in the FADE department. again, during the repeated 60-0 runs, on the stock setup, after the 2nd/3rd run, the car just feels harder to stop, and i started feeling "slippage" and can hear a slight "chatter" at the end of the braking. the stopping distance was not significantly worse, but the feel was definitely uninspiring to say the least.

however, on the new setup, there was alot more consistency, from 1st run to the 5th run, the brakes grabbed just as well, and there was ZERO slippage, or that very annoying/scary chattering. this one i can DEFINITELY say it's a tangible improvement, and not in my head.

i will update some more during the course of the week.

Comment

thats how my brembo's are. super smooth and never fade. best $80 ive spent on the car.
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

What is the inner diameter needed? Also how much would these cost?

Comment

well the larger diameter of the rotor would help keep heat down thus keeping from slipping as quick.

my 2 cents

Originally posted by minnesotapj
              Cost of your fancy German built sports car $35k
              price of your fancy sun glasses to match your German built sports car $200 dollars
              Getting beat by a second hand 20 year old Japanese 4 door... Priceless!
              The only bummer about the world ending is that you can't turn to the person next to you and say "WOW! Did you see THAT?!!"
              *1. 85 accord hatch r.i.p. *2. 87 chevy s-10 r.i.p. *3. 91 dodge daytona r.i.p. *4. 91 labaron r.i.p. *5. 91 mazda 323..sold *6. 89 silverado sold *7. 94 mazda protege ...in the works...

Comment

frogi323 you're a scholar where would you derive such a theory?
                Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

Comment

lol.. i made it to 8th grade. lol

i actually am wondering how far you can go b4 they warp due to size. and how far b4 they slip.

i forgot to add this to my previous post

Originally posted by minnesotapj
                  Cost of your fancy German built sports car $35k
                  price of your fancy sun glasses to match your German built sports car $200 dollars
                  Getting beat by a second hand 20 year old Japanese 4 door... Priceless!
                  The only bummer about the world ending is that you can't turn to the person next to you and say "WOW! Did you see THAT?!!"
                  *1. 85 accord hatch r.i.p. *2. 87 chevy s-10 r.i.p. *3. 91 dodge daytona r.i.p. *4. 91 labaron r.i.p. *5. 91 mazda 323..sold *6. 89 silverado sold *7. 94 mazda protege ...in the works...

Comment

well the thickness of the rotor is in all intents and purposes identical w/ stock ones.

as far as price, i dont want to get in trouble w/ the board, as they are still approving (i hope) a group buy. but just for thoughts, it will be in the 400s, there are not a lot of parts per se, but everything requires machine work, thats where i spent the most money on during the R&D work.

and of course, if i can get the GB going, the price will drop slightly, but i dont think it'll ever become a large volume thing where it will change the price that significantly. IMO, it's a helluva upgrade compared to a full blown aftermarket kit that will dig a 1G hole in ur pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
                      What is the inner diameter needed? Also how much would these cost?
                      I.D., as shown in one of the photos, would be safest if you have 15" clearance, probably could do 14.5" but i can't guarantee anything.

Comment

Well more driving impression:

1) a stupid chihuahua decided to dash across from me this morning on my way to Sears to pick up a 50% off craftsman tool chest (yay), i was able to stop really well, i must say better than stock (not saying that the new setup saved that stupid dog's life), i did lock up the tires and skidded a little.

2) i also rented a U-haul 4x7 trailer to go pick up a dryer, and compared to the last couple of times when i towed stuff, the car definitely stops better. b/c i remember specifically that the car just didnt want to stop last time i was hauling the refridgerator, but this time, though the dryer is lighter, the brakes responded much better.

just for photo proof that i did in fact tested this for towing purposes and not just writing stories:

Comment

you have a 03 dodge ram 1500 yet you use the 323 to tow? lol just for the test i hope.
                          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                          VF10 powered!
                          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                            you have a 03 dodge ram 1500 yet you use the 323 to tow? lol just for the test i hope.
                            lol, the ram and the probe are back east with my parents, i only have the 323 here in CA...and my 2 bikes.

Comment

I am wondering what you did about the guides for the inner brake pad. Did you design them into your bracket? Hopefully you are not just relying on the pins to hold the brake pad in place.

Looks great though with your 17" rims.

--Ferdi
                              If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                              -----
                              Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
                              Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
                              Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

i didnt even do anything w/ the pads/calipers. so i didnt even look at what guides u are talking about. the brackets fit around everything, it simply moves the caliper bolting point outward.

Comment

Working...
                                X