This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's work:

*got the mx-3 heater core modified to work in RHD mode (opened up the 'inlet' on the left side, and closed the existing one on the right side so it can take air from the blower motor now mounted on the left side).

*got the interior firewall sprayed with sound deadening/corrosion protection/rubberized crap.

*got the re-covered dash reassembled on the skeleton, and reattached the air ducts

*got the mx-3 center console trimmed and fitted on the BG dash, it looks factory now, everything just needs final cleanup

Next up, I gotta make the JDM blower motor work with my MX3 wiring, and that will conclude the under-dash HVAC work. After that, more interior wiring laid down, as I continue to do engine bay sanding.

A custom bracket I had to make for the bottom of the heater core:

I like!

'90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
    '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
    10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
    490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

damn dan shes looking real good
      i love the mx3 center as well
      1st 323 - wrecked - RIP
      2nd 323 - stolen - RIP
      3rd 323 - daily driver

Comment

how have i not seen this before?
        -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
        VF10 powered!
        262 Whp & 257 Wtq
        13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Some engine work - time to relocate the oil filter since the blower will occupy the same space as the OEM oil cooler housing, so that had to go.

I'll be using a Maximum Motorsports remote mount oil filter housing with -8AN lines, and most likely an external oil cooler but I need a little more research on that first.

Radiator fitment is going to be a problem that will require some creative plumbing with the supercharger in place. For the front motormount I used a Probe application AWR mount and enlarged the holes in the crossmember to 1/2" dia.

As for the wire tuck, it will be very very minimal - just going to semi-hide the fuse boxes and the bulky stuff, but I don't want to be mired in a 2-week wire-mania. I'll get it put together this week and hopefully started, then clean up all wiring, make sure it still runs right, check all the HVAC stuff, then take it all apart again and finish the body work before paint and re-assembly.

I'll post some pics later on.

Comment

ur progress bores me dan...
            95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Whatev, not all of us have Lowe's cards!

Comment

Here are pics now -

So the current rad setup is no go without a crazy angle. But, the nearly identical AFCO radiator has the inlet/outlet on the left hand side, which will free up a ton of room in the blower area.

So the Griffin will then go on the drag car when I rebuild the turbo piping.

Since this one is identical to the AFCO one (Summit Part# 80105N), I used it to trim the headlight plastic to make it fit. With 1/4" to spare on either side after trimming 1/4" off each headlight plastic, the fit is tight.

This will be one interesting radiator fill up procedure:
                1) Pop hood
                2) Remove LHS headlight
                3) Fill radiator

I got some XRP hardware to start the oil filter relocation kit, but I think I'll be returning these and getting 'shorter' fittings, like the male pipe thread 90* -8AN hose end which will keep the lines much closer to the block and off the header pipes.

Enjoy the pics, in no particular order....

Comment

It's coming out Nice, where did u get that motor mount?

Comment

its from awr

Comment

^^^What he said - http://www.awrracing.com/index.php

The remote oil filter mount is here, as is the new radiator...this stuff got here before the email with the tracking numbers...

Today I'll be making the battery relocation bracketry and a little radiator work along with the new fittings for the oil filter relocation.

Comment

great updates dan. car's really coming together. for the wire tuck, once you remove the outer electrical tap, and wire loom, its long enough to really hide it under the manifold and such without cutting it. its just the OEM loom that makes it so short. so you dont even have to worry about cutting anything.
                        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                        What are you driving?

Comment

looking at the pics. but how are u gonna ever take that supercharger out once everything is finally installed

Comment

Once it's finally installed, I wouldn't have to take it off, would I?

There will be more room there. I will be cutting part of the lower radiator support and re-building it such that the blower will have plenty of room.

The AFCO rad fits in just nice, with the inlet/outlet now on the left side there will be room for the piping and a cooling fan.

Tomorrow I gotta pick up an oil cooler and to avoid oil cooling/heating issues I'll get an inline oil thermostat in the loop there to bring the oil to temp quicker.

Another thing I'll be doing is shave the hood hinges so the 'backstop' will be moved back to allow vertical hood opening, like the Hondas. No more hood removal just to have room to work or on those boring weekends when I feel like pulling the engine to shine it up.

Comment

Nice! I see that you got the engine harness ready to be cleaned up

Comment

Yes, each 5 feet of OEM harness generates 1-2 cubic feet of sticky tape and crunchy old wire loom...my fingernails hurt after that...

Comment

Working...
                                X