Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWESOME WORK!!! You and a few others on here deserver your own TV show. Gotta give you credit for this sudden desire to learn to weld. LOL.

Comment

Today's work -

*got a bracket made for the remote oil filter piece
      *got some chassis work done to clear room for the oil cooler

The bracket is made from heavy duty 3"x1/4" angle, so no further gusseting needed on it. I'll weld it to the frame rail once I make all the hose to make sure it all fits, then the remote oil filter housing bolts to it.

On the inlet side of the filter housing I have an inline -8AN gauge fitting for the oil pressure sending unit - they didn't make it in black, so I'll have to do some home anodizing to match the rest of the fittings.

On the block side, I found the 3/8"NPT to -8AN 90* hose ends I needed (the swivel one isn't available in black from XRP so more anodizing there), so now the lines are closer to the block and as far away from the headers as they'll get. The braided hose will also be wrapped in an 800*F fire jacket.

The oil cooler finally found a nook to fit into, but the curved lower rad. support was in the way...for a short time. Got that thing notched out and re-strengthened, and now we're golden.

The zip ties were for mock-up purpose only, the cooler will be mounted on solid brackets.

Next up, brackets for the radiator, brackets for the oil cooler, and notching of the RHS lower radiator support for the blower outlet pipe.

It looks like there is a *small* chance that an intercooler will still fit, which is...cool :D

Last edited by Dan [Sac]; 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM.
      '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
      '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
      10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
      490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

hey, check ur PM on PT...
        95 Ford Probe GT | 03 Dodge Ram 1500 ST | 71 Ford Mustang "Mach I" clone | 90 Mazda 323 | 00 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Dan, with your fabrication skills and ability I am a little surprised to see you have not tackled the transmission. Do you think the G series will stand up to the abuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
            Dan, with your fabrication skills and ability I am a little surprised to see you have not tackled the transmission. Do you think the G series will stand up to the abuse?
            It should be alright. Only looking for light boost (5-7 psi, which on this motor comes to about 300 bhp) and it's a 0-mile transmission with new gears, new synchros, 4.66 final and LSD. Low boost + lite car should, theoretically let it last years, based on my previous experiences and those on Probetalk.

Ray, I think that 5th will work for you, looks like it's out of the 1st gen Probe, so that should work with yours. If you can't grab that set, go to the PnP and play around with one, then you have a better idea how to put it on.

Comment

looking great! love the wood block mock up mount. you should have kept it.

NEUMAN

Comment

amazing work dan.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

wow... that is really clean. I need to go find a tissue to wipe up my drool!
                  2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                  1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Got it somewhat set, a little cleanup to do and it's ready to rock....for this small part of the project.

Tomorrow I hope to spend most of the morning on hanging the radiator.

Comment

wow, I want to see this thing in real life when its done!
                      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

This is so amazing!! You are THE man! So clean! Nice welding by the way!

Comment

are you gonna tear it all out once its fabbed for paint? looking real clean man
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                            are you gonna tear it all out once its fabbed for paint? looking real clean man
                            That's the plan. It's not nearly as much work as it looks - the car can be fully stripped at a very leisurely pace in one weekend, reassembly takes about the same amount of time if you're organized. I really didn't want to dick around with trying to fit stuff AFTER painting, nicking things, grinding/welding/repainting spots, and all that jazz. The paint job will come out much cleaner too if the chassis is bare (that is, a ton of time saved on masking and unmasking).

Comment

dan, this def is one of my favorite builds in a very long time. i cant even remember the last build i followed as much as this one.
                              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                              ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                              What are you driving?

Comment

Today I finally hung the radiator. Lots of time spent measuring and re-measuring and re-re-remeasuring - I only have 1/4" to spare on each side of the rad (left/right AND front/back) so its positioning is super critical.

As it is, it fits JUUUUUUUSST barely - but fit it does! Even have room for a Derale 900 cfm 12" single fan (p/n 16512) to act as a puller with 7/8" to spare to the headers. The fan will be fully shrouded.

Tomorrow I will be pulling the engine out as all the pre-fitting is done for now and I need to alter the lower rad. support by the blower so I have enough room for an outlet manifold on the supercharger.

Will also be doing the Aerocatch hood pins which came in last week.

Comment

Working...
                                X