Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking good as always. this is such a clean swap! everything is done right.

great job.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

meeeeeeow
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Aluminum shroud almost done, just have to cut out the fan hole...I wonder if Home Depot has a 12" hole saw.
        '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
        '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
        10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
        490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

yikes sounds like you might have to use a router if possible? or maybe a router type tool for a dremel?
          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

air saw = win for big accurate holes
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

That's the one, the router attachment for the Dremel - but it turned out to be a piece of garbage, the bit kept getting gummed up with aluminum and eventually broke after only cutting 3"...so I'll use a scrolling jig saw next.

As for the 12-hour shift today...not so much. Saw Above & Beyond last night, and between the 4 LIIT's, getting home at 3am, and trancing it out for 5 hours, I'm barely up at 1 pm...but there is plenty of daylight left, so out I go

Comment

^ Nice! I like above & beyond! I went to see David Guetta last night... ever since he went on the radio, he's music is not as good as it used to be! lol I had fun though, after the concert I drove to my GF's house 1 hour away... then I had a more fun at her house lol

Comment

Dan, this is like my dream bg. Nice and balanced, can perform and be a nice DD
                  -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                  VF10 powered!
                  262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                  13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Scrolling jig saw ftw.

Finished the main piece, I have to add a top and bottom cap tomorrow. Started with a straight sheet of generic aluminum (1/16"), bent it in a brake, and trimmed it to fit around all the hoses and other things. With the front & side caps on it should provide almost 100% flow via the radiator.

A bonus was that with the shroud in place the fan is a bit closer to the rad and now I have a whopping 0.75" of clearance from the header (it was 0.5" before).

================================================== =================

And here is what the Probe looks like with the manifold penetrating the hood....mmmm, penetrating....

Comment

Whats the point of that shroud? wouldnt that just block flow?
                      -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                      VF10 powered!
                      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

makes the fan more effecient in removing heat from the rad
                        91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                          Scrolling jig saw ftw.

Finished the main piece, I have to add a top and bottom cap tomorrow. Started with a straight sheet of generic aluminum (1/16"), bent it in a brake, and trimmed it to fit around all the hoses and other things. With the front & side caps on it should provide almost 100% flow via the radiator.

A bonus was that with the shroud in place the fan is a bit closer to the rad and now I have a whopping 0.75" of clearance from the header (it was 0.5" before).

================================================== =================

And here is what the Probe looks like with the manifold penetrating the hood....mmmm, penetrating....

are you gonna bolt the shroud or weld it on? The intake mani coming out is mean and can scare grown men also...lol
                          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                          "Who Dey"

Comment

hey dan. great tool for that would be a air tool called a nibler. i use one quite a bit for stuff like that, and you gave great control over it.
                            ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                            ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                            What are you driving?

Comment

Got some wiring sorted out, what took the longest is writing the notes on the stuff. Shroud fits great, and will be bolted on, should I ever have to change the fan or its motor.

There are a few wires (less than 20 thus far) that I have to extend due to flipping the harness left to right and this still being the US version of it. The engine bay fuseboxes will be tucked in the little well in front of the right strut tower (where the stock windshield washer normally is).

I have to shave those 'wells' on both sides because the fat tires hit them when turning....mmmmmmm, fat tire....

Otherwise, I gotta spend a few hours fixing my girlfriend's '99 Pro tomorrow, we got rear-ended today at a red light and it needs a new tail light, bumper cover and trunk lid. Damage is mainly cosmetic though.

Comment

I am having a hard time seeing that shroud work the way you pictured it with the fan on the 'inside'. The air is going to get trapped around the fan and have nowhere to exit. You pretty much reduced the size of the radiator to the size of the fan.

--Ferdi
                                If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                                -----
                                Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
                                Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
                                Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Working...
                                X