This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by analytical View Post
    People need to stop questioning the man's skills; everytime we turn around Dan shows us more work that we envy. Overkill is the dood's middle name.

Let's get back to that booth... my God that's what heaven looks like. Gross! Did you catch this is all done w/out involving water during the sanding process. Yes that paint's so wet it'll make a girl pee. Killing it Dan-O only uses the bomb products, tools, process... get you results like you see here.
    i'm not questioning anything, just sharing some advice. like he said ask 10 people how to paint a car and youll get 8 different answers. i do this this every day and i paint a different way. like i dont like using the DA, only when i'm doing any rough work before primer. hand sand all the way baby.

Comment

I hated DAs also, before I found the finishing series from Snap-On...and while I do most of the grunt work with them, there is still quite a bit of hand sanding as well.

Suggestions are always welcome - heck, that's how we all learn. Just like with the factory jumper in the harness - I didn't know that, and it's something I'll be looking at when it goes back together.
      '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
      '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
      10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
      490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

Primer is done. Now a slow 2 weeks will follow as I prep it for paint. I'm getting excited again after a not so excited week of hard work. The primer is black.

Comment

side draft paintbooths are the ****! they keep dirt off your paint alot bether than up or down draft booths. the primer looks like it has some decent orange peel, is it a high build primer?
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

No, the primer has a newb spraying it (that would be me, I had issues today), but all the peel will come out in the prep work. It will have a dull shine (if that makes sense) when I'm done with the 1000.

Comment

again, this build is so amazing and inspiring for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                No, the primer has a newb spraying it (that would be me, I had issues today), but all the peel will come out in the prep work. It will have a dull shine (if that makes sense) when I'm done with the 1000.
                makes sense, with primers/sealers try a lower pressure setting on the gun reg. its definetly better than 80% of the newb jobs i have seen thats for sure!

cant wait to see the paint
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                  makes sense, with primers/sealers try a lower pressure setting on the gun reg. its definetly better than 95% of the newb jobs i have seen thats for sure!

cant wait to see the paint
                  Fixed. Yeah back it off (psi)a bit @ gun. Presume you have a gun dedicated solely for primer, could change tip also. Suprised your SATA isn't digital. I'd take a little peal all day over dry, pinholes suck!
                  I couldn't tell, did you remove the rain channel rubber?
                  Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

Comment

Roof trim was pulled off.

The air pressure gauge was digital.

It's being knocked down right now (5th straight day @ 5-8 hours each). I do quite a bit of hand sanding (all edges and a lot of other places) with a block and 400. It is looking good though, but the engine bay is just a PITA. Will be definitely not ever doing this again, though I may change my tune when it's all done.

I'm adding some low-profile side markers as well to appease the ricer in me. Amber lights in them (I do like the euro look of them).

Other than that, just sanding and more sanding and then some more. The plan is to shoot the color & clear on monday, we'll see how it goes.

Comment

We appreciate your modesty, but come on now. You built a solid rep so you can't fall down now. People are expecting Godliness w/ your build. My guess is you'll make it.
                      Are you replacing the roof trim w/ new rubber? If not, it's tricky to get the old trim to sit back down nice and pretty. I used primerless auto glass urethane adhesive. Highly recommend U-418HV made by Essex. It's really good stuff.
                      Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

Comment

Originally posted by analytical View Post
                        We appreciate your modesty, but come on now. You built a solid rep so you can't fall down now. People are expecting Godliness w/ your build. My guess is you'll make it.
                        Are you replacing the roof trim w/ new rubber? If not, it's tricky to get the old trim to sit back down nice and pretty. I used primerless auto glass urethane adhesive. Highly recommend U-418HV made by Essex. It's really good stuff.
                        ^yes indeed also took your advise on the adhesive.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Almost done sanding, one more day or two. I literally hate this...my knuckles are pretty much locked up and I can only bend my fingers by using the other hand.

On the plus side, it's starting to really get a nice dull sheen, so she should look aight when done :D

Comment

It will all be worth it when it is done, something you can be proud to have accomplished. Now you know why it cost $5000 for a good paint job.
                            I personally learned that lesson with painting cars and automatic transmission rebuilding. If you ever need a automatic transmission rebuilt, just pay the thousand bucks.....trust me. LOL
                            Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IMACHU2 View Post
                              It will all be worth it when it is done, something you can be proud to have accomplished. Now you know why it cost $5000 for a good paint job.
                              I personally learned that lesson with painting cars and automatic transmission rebuilding. If you ever need a automatic transmission rebuilt, just pay the thousand bucks.....trust me. LOL

amen to that.

Comment

Wow! I had started fallowing this in the middle of last year and missed out on what you had accomplished. Amazing work man! My hat is off to you sir, cant wait to see the finished product.
                                Mazda
                                1988 Black 323 GT
                                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Working...
                                X