This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^
    it hasnt even been fully assembled yet. but give it time.
    ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
    ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
    What are you driving?

Comment

Originally posted by psiturbo View Post
      Could you show what tool you used to heat up the parts?

On another note, Have you gone to the track as I see you have that other drag car?

Simple propane torch, looks like this one:

Mine is more ghetto as the lighting mechanism is kaput and you have to use a lighter to fire it up (after you open the gas flow) - it was a good way to shave my knuckle hairs as it was a windy day...

As for the drag car, still not back together, right now I want to get the 323 done first. Then I gotta buy some axles for the Probe (I don't think stockers will like 600 hp launches). Since the 10.24 @ 139 pass I've upgraded the turbo, switched to liquid (ice water) intercooling, upgraded the down pipe from 2.5" to 4", switched to a low MOI twin-disc clutch, got the gearbox sorted out with PAR straight-cut, dog engagement gears, put in the MFactory LSD, and a few other odds & ends. I'm *hoping* to make some single digit passes if it all works together and I can drive it.
      '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
      '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
      10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
      490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

The rear suspension is finally almost done.

I got all the bushings installed, calipers rebuilt, Goodridge SS brake lines put on, rear k-sports installed, parts cleaned up, now just waiting on rear pads and I still have to put in the brake line retainer brackets.

The bushing install was challenging. Once I got a method down though it was just grunt work. The removal was tougher, though the install in the lateral links was a challenge as the bushings seemed to be almost 1mm in diam. bigger than the hole (all metal sleeves had been removed and the bores cleaned up).

Also had a hell of a time with the trailing link getting back in its (forward) spot as the knuckle position was slightly shifted rearward, but it eventually surrendered too.

The enemy:

Comment

Well I designed the bushings to be tight and the 90A being the fastest curing shrink the least so they are naturally the tightest.

I'm very curious to hear your impressions of the bushings.

Comment

That makes sense. Your bushing removal directions proved to be the easiest method once I figured the press is pretty useless.

I can't wait till I drive it also.

Comment

looking good man!
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                That makes sense. Your bushing removal directions proved to be the easiest method once I figured the press is pretty useless.

I can't wait till I drive it also.
                What method was that you used?

Comment

Post 684, 6th line down. Also explained in detail in the links provided by 300BHPZE a page or two back.

Comment

Front subframe also installed now, with the steering rack in the correct position, and the front control arm bushings in place. Steering column fits perfect, and the U-joints come in at OEM angles or less, which makes me happy. The support bracketry for the rack also clears the body by about 1/4".

Now I'm re-laying the wiring inside, so I can mount the pedals and start putting the hydraulic system back.

I am a bit bummed that i have to press the wheel hub out of the front right spindle because I have to replace one of the lug studs....I might change the front wheel bearings as well when I get to that.

Comment

Just read your entire thread and its just dawned on me that it was your first 323 video on "you tube" that inspired me to do the BF KLZE transplant. Much respect and thanks.

Comment

yep, same here. i saw that little red hatch was instantly excited to do the swap. lol

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Yeah the fire method is a pain but it is very effective. I am lucky that I have a motorized hydraulic press available which makes very short work of the bushings but you have to be very precise in the way you support the arms as the stamped steel is not very strong and it's easy to bend them really bad.

Comment

Looking great Dan.
                            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Yeah um...you're going to have trouble stopping without pads in your rear calipers. I'm just sayin.

Comment

You've seen the clear acrylic wheels? I've taken the fad further now with the first ever clear pads. Why block the view to such a fantastic rotor with ugly pads?

Everyone was out of stock, so I'm just waiting on them to come in. I think I mentioned that above.

I hope to get the last pieces painted this week. I got the 20 parts sanded (my arms are gonna fall off)...I thought I was done with sanding.

Comment

Working...
                                X