X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow going all out on this one

Comment

As usual, when I say something like "it looks like it's gonna be easier than I thought" I end up jinxing myself

The hard unexpected part is now the heater core and blower motor - the half cut is a GTX so it's got everything electric, whereas the mx3 stuff (as well as the 323) here is all mechanical. I think the heater core I can get away with and just swap the plastic shells between the LHD and RHD units, but the blower motor will have to be either a universal unit or source out another one.

And I still forgot to order the manual RHD steering rack, as the GTX one is power and I can't stand the leakage and space taking and weight. Can't do a wire tuck with a bunch of PS lines taking up the room in there.
      '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
      '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
      10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
      490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

looking really good. love the new rear bumper. makes a big difference.
        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
        What are you driving?

Comment

I have some mechanical HVAC parts for RHD. I know the blower is intact, but I think the heater core got cut up. I can take some pics if you want.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Yeah, the blower would be a good candidate

Heck, take pics of both

Comment

Originally posted by Mr GoD View Post
              looking good dan. what are you going to be doing with the motor?? i can use the exhaust manifold if you can part with it
              Sorry, the parts were discarded almost right away as I really had to make some room there. The 4-car shop is full, the driveway in front of it is full, even the MX3 dissection had to spill onto the lawn

Comment

very nice work i always thought of doing a klxe swap into my 323 yours i know will be done and come very clean and nice also i like the rhd idea as well very original with that engine setup

Comment

Finally getting into the meat & potatoes of the job - sheetmetal work. Today I got most of the inside firewall brackets off, there are a few minor ones left. Got the 323 firewall & engine bay a little cleaner as well.

Test fitted RHD dash in the 323, as expected all brackets match up & it bolts right in.

Will have to do only move one bracket to get the RHD wipers to work. Thanks to the cowl being stamped symetrically, I can just drill the holes for the right side (driver side now) wiper. So I'll have the wipers sweep the correct way for a RHD - little things like that make me happy in the pants.

Essential tools for today were the Wurth 8mm spot weld drill bit and the Snap-On Crud Thug for cleanup.

On to the carnage:

RHD clip, inside - the brackets are visible against the firewall

Closeup of one of the brackets

Bracket(s) removed

The sound deadening goop on the left awaits

Goop gone

323 bay a little cleaner now

I <3 tools that do the job right

Another bracket off (skinny horizontal one):

And another one

The loot

What to cut - now that the essentials have been pulled, I will be cutting roughly around the blue outlines to move these pieces to the 323. Measurements here will be essential to make sure they end up in the same place, within +/- 2 mm error.

Another shot of 323 bay ready for surgery

Comment

very nice, loads of work to do man but its going to look great.
                    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Good luck on your project! Looks good so far

Comment

Sexy girl you got on your elbow there Dan.
                        Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

Comment

w00t, I got my Corksport 3-hole front bumper today. Gotta love Mazda OEM stuff - brand new, polyurethane, with all mounting hardware, and the black mesh. I don't know why people are complaining about the CS prices, @ $278 + shipping this thing was a bargain as far as all things JDM go. Better than the $350 I paid for a used UK GT-R bumper that was badly damaged and has thus far required 5 hours of repair work and still needs a bit more.

Now to secure a front lip and sideskirts and I'm in rice heaven.

Comment

its all new?? not bad for the price then!
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

dang man awesome work!
                              2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Since there aren't many right-side a-pillar gauge pods, I have some ideas about encasing the Prosport gauges (boost, oil press. & water temp) and I'll be working on those in the next couple of days.

Did any GTX/GT-Rs come with manual windows? I'd love to have some GT-R door panels and the rear speaker panels

Comment

Working...
                                X