Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flares are ZG units made for Datsun 240s.
    '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
    '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
    10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
    490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
      Flares are ZG units made for Datsun 240s.
      thank you very much
      sigpic
      1990 EGT Turbo RIP
      1995 EGT GTX RIP
      1991 323 GTX swapped
      2003.5 MSP

Comment

any new pics?

Comment

More info, or possibly even a write up on this mod? I would love a self sustained hood.

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
          Today I put on a hood strut - it's already pretty strong so I may forgo the second one, although I will wait until it's colder to fully decide (105*F today). I made a mess of the upper mounting point so I'll redo that later on when it's cooler outside.

I think the struts were off a Probe hatch, but I can't remember for sure.

It's really sweet to have an almost vertical hood (here's where the shaved hinges pays off) and not dick with a hood prop or look for a stick like i have been.
          My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

Wow, that was a long read. But well worth it! Awesome job Dan!!

Comment

Originally posted by 93BlkOnGreenPro View Post
              More info, or possibly even a write up on this mod? I would love a self sustained hood.

Basically a slow DIY process where you try to fit the proper angled bracket in the small space between the fender and the hood bracing. I looked at some OEM applications at the junk yard, then an aftermarket application, and used the same principles.

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-MAZDA-MX6-9397.html - has some useful photos and kits.

Comment

Today the car was driven back in the shop/garage for the KLZE install process. Since midterms are coming up, it probably won't get done until thanksgiving break - I think I was way too optimistic with my earlier projections.

The 4.10-equipped gearbox will be installed at that time too, along with a few tweaks. Since I am now foregoing the supercharger installation, I will probably remove and sell the oil cooling/relocation setup as well.

I will try and custom make a sheetmetal or carbon undertray to keep the engine bay clean once it starts raining as I chucked the stock plastics. It will also get the nicer door panels during the break, and I'll give the bushings and suspension a thorough once-over to see how the first 2000 miles treated them.

The tires have been superb - best DOTs I've ever been on. The responsiveness of the car is amazing. The rear needs to come up about 8-10mm, and the struts softened up just a tad.

It will need a new cat, as 2,000 miles of high HC emissions have all but annihilated the old, 120,000 mile stock unit. Will probably make a 2.5" full catback for it also.

No matter, it's covered, out of the weather, and I can drive my wallet-destroying 11mpg F250 around in the meantime.

Comment

And yes, I still plan on selling it after the ZE is in, and it's 50-state certified.

Or trade it for a GT-R BG or RX8.....so start saving now

Comment

as if you're gonna sell it!!! if you do, i really hope the proper person buys it...i just dont think anyone can keep the car looking as nice as you can...since you built it and all lol.

glad to hear the car is working for you tho man! it's been a solid project that's for sure!

i'm curious to see your undertray, i know the stock plastics on my protege won't keep out the grime!!!
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

The KLDE is out, and the ZE is being prepped for insertion.....lol, insertion is a funny word. Maybe it comes from owning a Probe for all these years.

I'm gonna miss the clean gearbox, but not the 4000 rpm at 75 mph. I'll probably post the 4.68 final drive combo for sale though - should come in handy for some autocrossers. Also going to an mx3 flywheel.

I can't wait till she's back on the road with proper power!

Comment

please tell me those stock k8 logs are not going on the ZE? lol

insertion.... hehe.. lol.
                        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                        What are you driving?

Comment

I'm curious when the decision was made not to supercharge and why. I missed that part. I was also suprised to hear that you were planning on selling the car. Any idea what your selling price will be?

Comment

I ran out of time and money, basically. With the ZE and bolt ons, the car will be plenty fast - it's already pretty scary at WOT coming out of corners on bumpy roads with the current grip levels.

The logs are KL, and are there for certification. I do like how compact they are though - and that may be the nicest thing I've said about them

Without the supercharger kit, I expect the initial asking price to be around $11k after the CARB certifies the engine change. Extra off road mods will include Millenia IM, headers, larger exhaust, cold(er) air intake, larger dia. catalytic converter.

Comment

Woohoo!

KLZE fired up tonight. Running smooth, idle vacuum is right at 20 in Hg, which further confirms the poor health of the DE - even with serious timing advance I couldn't get the DE to pull more than 14 in of vac. at idle.

I can't wait to test drive it tomorrow.

I also filled the motor mounts, as I was getting some wheel hop on smooth surfaces with just the stock mounts (I have an AWR front one but stock everywhere else).

Comment

Congrats Dan ! ! ! Ride that cloud 9 buddy you earned it.
                                Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

Comment

Working...
                                X