This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's work:

Today I finished the wiper assembly transfer. Drilled the 323 on the right side, moved the center bracket to its RHD correct location, and fitted the whole lot on.

Also got the HVAC fresh air inlet moved over from the RHD clip to the 323, and 'patched' the hole from the old inlet with its RHD counterpart.

All of the welding on the cowl & firewall will receive a coat of OEM anti-corrosion & weatherproof sealant.

Pics:

RHS drilled & arm pivot installed

RHD center bracket welded in place

Cowl cover on

Wipers on - it fits!

HVAC fresh air inlet welded on the left side now

Hole where LHD inlet used to be:

That hole is now patched with its RHD proper part welded on

Random shot of the front subframe after 1st round of cleaning:

'90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
    '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
    10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
    490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

damn you and your rust free parts! that subframe looks mint! haha

looking great man
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

That's because power steering leaks keep rust away.

Comment

Sorry if I overlooked it but is this going to be boosted? And what internals are you going to run?

Also on a side note you will never win ROTM......ROTY is more like it lol
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
            Sorry if I overlooked it but is this going to be boosted? And what internals are you going to run?

7psi on a supercharger, stock internals, megasquirt tuning, engine has been freshly rebuilt. The valve covers will be re-powdercoated wrinkle black, intake manifold will be silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
              7psi on a supercharger, stock internals, megasquirt tuning, engine has been freshly rebuilt. The valve covers will be re-powdercoated wrinkle black, intake manifold will be silver.

Want
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Only an hour of work today, patched one of the large holes and about 5 small ones. For the main round hole of the old M/C I will add a round piece of 22 ga to fill it up, then grind it smooth.

Lots of work left, but doing a bit each day will see it through

Comment

Is the RHD conversion due to mechanical fitment requirements or because you like that style/functionality?

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Drummer69 View Post
                    Is the RHD conversion due to mechanical fitment requirements or because you like that style/functionality?
                    Read the entire thread so questions don't get asked over and over and you'll know.
                    Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                    It's for JDM coolness. I've wanted a RHD car since i was a preteen (which was 2 decades ago for perspectives' sake) but I never thought a Probe would be all that in it - this car is the perfect storm for some things I've wanted to do. I could care less how 'played out' it is or what other nonsense some of you are saying, i'm doing it because I want to. I remember when I started messing with the Probe on the drag strip some people saying "that thing will never run 12s, do yourself a favor and get a Mustang or a Honda..."....yeah, well that turned out ok after all.

More pics in a few days when my comp. works again.
                    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                    "Who Dey"

Comment

...and here I thought changing a RHD to LHD or vice versa might be a semi bolt-in affair because the firewall/dash mounts would be made to accept either side components upon assembly, like British cars of the '60's.

Amazing work and photos. One of the most interesting worklogs to follow.

Jay

Comment

Well the uni-body cars of today are built a little different from the all bolt-on cars of yesterday. Much less welding would be needed to do it 100% right, which would entail removing the windshield, and peeling back the front frame rails, strut tower aprons and cowl layers to swap the firewall layers whole - then just spot-weld it all back together.

It's not that much work honestly considering how much the car changes, you just have to be diligent and have a good plan. The rest is in the execution

Comment

Today's work -

Not much new, just more hole-patching. This appears more work than it needs to be - because it is. I want the firewall to be smooth along with the mild wire tuck, so I'm pretty much closing any hole that won't be needed or is an eye sore.

There is much grinding & smoothing left to be done.

Today I closed the round hole from the old master cylinder, along with the 3rd brake light and the LHD steering linkage hole.

Next 4 days I'm on car work hiatus as I prepare for my Dynamics final, then back to the grind...ha...ha....I crack myself up...

Comment

wow nice welds

Comment

Today's work:

All I did today was weld holes shut...did about 45 today, and I'm almost halfway done with the holes. A ton of them around when you have the wiring in stock locations (most are for harness plastic clips).

Got the upper rad. support nice & smooth, and the right side (almost said "passenger" side) frame rail half done. By no means is any part done, I just put the etching primer on to not get any corrosion from the night time dew. I will still smooth them over one more time and then fill the stock spot weld divots with body filler for a super smooth look (Rage Xtreme is the ****!)

Weather's been fantastic, other than a few days over 105, it's been mostly low 90s so working outside is nice.

Before:

After:

Comment

Very nice execution, it will look factory when your finished......only kooler
                                Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X