Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiletsio323 View Post
    I thing the air is playing tricks...lol ,
    It may be the flap from the vaf...don't know for sure , it's realy hard too tell.
    Check - Clean everything in the intake,from the vaf to the throttle body (flap) , it may fix your idling problems too.

edit: if you don't know vaf is the valve that your cone filter is attached
    Ok thanks, gotta try to shut down the engine and simultaneously crank the throttle open. If the noise disappears then it's probably just air flowing past the flap.. Hopefully I'll be wiser after the weekend.

Comment

there is a second flap down to the vaf ,next to the filter that is moving with the vacuming air.So that is not possible cause it is not controlled mechanically , just sends signals to the ecu.
      1. 1990 Mazda 323 SE sedan , B3 8v R.I.P
      2. 1992 Mazda 323 GT hatch , B3 16v
      3. 2005 Kia Picanto EX , 1.0 12v
      4. 2007 Mazda 3 TC sedan , Z6 16v

Comment

Originally posted by tiletsio323 View Post
        there is a second flap down to the vaf ,next to the filter that is moving with the vacuming air.So that is not possible cause it is not controlled mechanically , just sends signals to the ecu.
        Ahh, ok.. I'll try to open and clean things up saturday if i just have enough time. I meant to paint the drivers door but let's see if i manage to do both then..

Btw, bought Haynes workshop manual the other day to help when i start piling up the BP engine Any suggestions of what parts usually are good to balance or machine before that? Gotta go and ask prices from local workshops.. Easy to do now when it's all "exploded" in pieces. Any benefits of lighter flywheel? Every tip of what to do for more power from the engine are welcome. Hom much is it possible/recommended to take off the cylinder head? After all I'd like to have the engine as reliable as possible, not forgetting that a little bit more power is always a good thing

Ofc the main goal at first is to make the engine sound and running, but ofc I'd like to do everything that's possible now, so i wouldn't have to take the engine off the car after i've managed to plant it in.

Comment

Slight progress since the last post.. Took intake off the car and cleaned the intake tube, vaf, and the plastic box between them (resonance chamber?). They were quite oiled up, don't know where it's come from. Maybe the previous owner had oiled the cone filter a bit too heavily? Or has it got there from the breathing hose from the valve cover?

Vaf before
          And after

I also changed new sparkplugs and wires for them and coil. Then I changed new distributor cap and rotor. Sparkplugs took me nearly an hour as their holes were full of ****... Apparently yhe valve cover seal had leaked oil in them at some point and then all the sand had stuck in it.. A bitch to clean up as I had to be very careful not to let that filth inside the cylinders.

New wires

Then I put it all together and gave it a go:

Cold idle looked good for a moment, then gave it a little stomp and rev'd it to ~3000rpm. Cold idle rose to 1900rpm's.. I let it warm up and then screwed this screw couple a rounds inwards so that idle dropped to normal 750rpm.

Also the noise of air flow (yup, it was it) reduced a little. Won't need to worry about it anymore. So far so good

Noticed a new problem tho.. The lower cooling liquid hoses were cool, but upper hoses quite hot, so the liquid isn't circling.. I need to check the thermostat if it's stuck.

But yeah, i say this was a good day as i got at least something done although didn't have that much time after the work

Edit: Oh, nearly forgot. Here's a vid of my new idle
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Anyone got idea of that whistling noise?
          Last edited by juFo; 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Hmm.. Bad news I think. I replaced the thermostat yesterday but nothing changed.. I think waterpump is screwed. **** it. Don't know if I make this B6 alive again, my friend has BP engine and I'm thinking of buying it and put it in, then start working on my own BP and maybe do something nice to it. *cough*rbo

Saw this GTX beauty on sale the otherday:

I think I know what colour I'll have on my own one :D

Edit: Some of the pics not working atm, cuz i moved them to different dir in photobucket. Gonna fix the links soon(ish) I'm starting to warm up for the idea of buying another BP engine and swapping it, then later start building my another one and maybe even turbocharge it. Who knows..

Edit2: Pics' links fixed.
            Last edited by juFo; 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Some progress.. Changed the right front shock upper mount, the old one's center part (the rubber part) vas rusted off of the metal frame. Not too safe to drive, huh.

Picture, old rusty vs. new shiny

Also removed a bunch of unnecessary wires..

*clicky*

Previous owner had made himself the radio wiring, some "cool" cold cathode lights (or what's it in English..) and more..

And oh, if all goes as it should, I'll be swappin mah BP next weekend Bought another engine from a friend of mine and I'll put that in. Then maybe start making my other engine BPT..

Quess who can't sleep the rest of the week

Comment

Allright, progress at last! Got the BP under hood this weekend Friday night i spent changing timing belt, pulleys and water pump. Yesterday got the 1.6 out of engine bay and changed wiring harness for BP. Today we threw the BP engine in.

So.. It's not quite finished yet, as i need to buy couple of transmission mounts and new driveshafts as the B6 had thinner shafts than BP. Also i seem to have lost my ecu so i have to hunt it down..
                Pics:

Starting point
                Mah BP
                B6 disappeared :o
                Our working space
                The patient
                Changing harness
                B6 dismembered from body
                Missing transmission mount
                Another missing support, that one didn't quite fit
                And the result

As you can see the cooler, battery and intake piping are still missing as they would be on my way when i install the rest of mounts after i've bought them.

Quite happy with this weekends work. About 15 hours of efficient working spent on the swap. Not too bad as this was my first engine swap ever. Thanks for my friend of giving a hand on the job!

Comment

nice work space.

Originally posted by minnesotapj
                  Cost of your fancy German built sports car $35k
                  price of your fancy sun glasses to match your German built sports car $200 dollars
                  Getting beat by a second hand 20 year old Japanese 4 door... Priceless!
                  The only bummer about the world ending is that you can't turn to the person next to you and say "WOW! Did you see THAT?!!"
                  *1. 85 accord hatch r.i.p. *2. 87 chevy s-10 r.i.p. *3. 91 dodge daytona r.i.p. *4. 91 labaron r.i.p. *5. 91 mazda 323..sold *6. 89 silverado sold *7. 94 mazda protege ...in the works...

Comment

Yeah, the garage was nice, with inspection pits and all.. Luckily my emplyer let us use it, makes things hell of a lot easier than out on a gravel

But yeah, I'll get my transmission mounts next week, as well as ecu and driveshafts. Finally I'll get to try and start that BP for first time! I'll try to take vid of it. Then I'll just need to get GT brakes and anti roll bars and then I'll take it to inspection.. See if they give me permission to use it at last. Can't really wait to be honest

Comment

Pffft.. Not much progress on this build.. This week I SHOULD get my tranny mounts at last.

But now there's another problem. My BPT Protege's tranny blew up this morning, just overtook some slow driving jerk and when I was slowing down to cruising speed of 110km/h there came nice *crunch* off my tranny. **** it, car on the side of the road and out in the rain to check what's blown. Well, nice pond of oil under the car and not a single gear would go in. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Damn I'm pissed now.

Oh well, gotta loan tranny from this project so this will delay even more. Hopefully I can find new transmission for this one...

It's nice thing to have, this BPT..

Comment

Inspected my BPT's tranny yesterday, differential was blown. Nice hole in the side of it, just next to where speedo cable is connected. Pics below.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/4a6f5fb1.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/bfc5715b.jpg

Nice. Got a little something to do now for couple of evenings..
                        Transmission control rods bushings were also f'd so gotta replace those too, nice little 1cm play on 'em.

BTW, how do i change this thread's name? That B6->BP swap is a little misleading as it's been done a month ago...

Comment

Originally posted by juFo View Post
                          Saw this GTX beauty on sale the otherday:

I think I know what colour I'll have on my own one :D
                          Nice to hear that someone likes it

Comment

you'll love the running outcome of this!
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Pave View Post
                              Nice to hear that someone likes it
                              Ho ho, what! Seems I'm not the only Finn reading this forum

Got my BPT pro running, 323 has new tranny on it's way. Been kinda busy with my protege so this car has been on less attention lately.. Hopefully I'll get it running before winter though.

Comment

Working...
                              X