No announcement yet.

Toyota E153 transmission swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh it drove for 4 days without noises then we thought it was the clutch release bearing failing and found this after 4 weeks
    Last edited by Mcwilly; 10-12-2010, 09:53 AM.
    :D BEST 1/4 - 13.3 @ 107 mph .......170kw on 16psi *:D *
    NEW - 285hp @ 11psi run in tune

Comment

I don't think its an alignment problem at all.. I think the splines were not quite matched right... I bet the input shaft is slightly smaller causing you to only ride on half the splines of the clutch discs...

Comment

Checked out the Splines today mesh nicely. Checked plate it is flat. Only not sure about the holes but clutch all lines up wid shaft etc. Putting it back together see what happens
        :D BEST 1/4 - 13.3 @ 107 mph .......170kw on 16psi *:D *
        NEW - 285hp @ 11psi run in tune

Comment

thank god this is here, in order to get good power, i need to bolt a Toyota Tranny to my future Kia BP xD
          Originally posted by atomicEGT
          having the fastest/most powerful VJ20 is like wanting to **** the prettiest girl in the trailer park

sure you can do it, but most people aren't gonna be impressed
          93 Merc Tracer - Daily Driver

Certified:
          CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Network+ | J-std

Comment

what are you guys doing for abs? i havent gotten my axles yet so i cant check but do the toyota axles have that ring on them for abs sensor to read the rate of rotation like on a mazda or does toyota use a different system? I only ask cause i drive on snow 3 months of the year..wouldnt be the end of the world to delete it. but it is nice to have. ive never found myself in a situation where i wish i didnt have it lol but i guess it wouldnt be too bad none of my other cars have had it so its not like it would stop me from driving but i do see it as a legitimate safety device for people short on talent (like myself)
            Last edited by vtec-this; 10-24-2010, 05:41 PM.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
            2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
            Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

The GSP-branded axles I got from Advance Auto Parts do have an abs ring on them. Whether it has the same number/size of teeth, diameter, or is even in the right spot, I have no idea.

--Ferdi
              If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
              -----
              Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
              Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
              Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

increase your talent
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

driving down a steep snow and ice covered road in the middle of winter with oncoming traffic and nasty grooves in the road will probably require more luck than talent anyways I suppose..even with winter tires should be fun with no abs..maybe I should just buy a 80s gtx awd for the winter and be done with my winter driving woes lol

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
                  2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
                  Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

Meh. Having driven a few ABS cars on snow, I am not impressed. I can stop my not ABS cars faster than I can stop my wife's ABS cars. But yes, the toyota axles I have have ABS rings on em. Whether or not they'll talk to your abs sensors, I have no idea. My cars are too old and primitive to have such things....
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

abs prolongs your stop by 30%. and i have yet to lock my tires up.

fyi:
                      whether you have abs or not if the roads are icey they will respond the same. what really matters is your experience and tires you choose. i got rear ended a couple winters ago...the first thing the lady said was " i just got my abs fixed"... we where on ice and it did nothing. she was going to fast for the conditions. this was in a parking lot she was doing 20mph i was stopped waiting to exit the lot.

Originally posted by minnesotapj
                      Cost of your fancy German built sports car $35k
                      price of your fancy sun glasses to match your German built sports car $200 dollars
                      Getting beat by a second hand 20 year old Japanese 4 door... Priceless!
                      The only bummer about the world ending is that you can't turn to the person next to you and say "WOW! Did you see THAT?!!"
                      *1. 85 accord hatch r.i.p. *2. 87 chevy s-10 r.i.p. *3. 91 dodge daytona r.i.p. *4. 91 labaron r.i.p. *5. 91 mazda 323..sold *6. 89 silverado sold *7. 94 mazda protege ...in the works...

Comment

I did my E153 gearbox conversion in my Mazda Rustler (a 323 pickup)with FE3 engine and Turbo during 2004. It did 385bhp on the previous proper visit to the dyno. The clutch, gearbox and driveshafts are still 100%.

I used to pull the previous G-series gearbox so frequently, that - could do a gearbox / clutch swap in less than 45minutes. Have not needed to pull the E153 gearbox for any clutch or box issues.

Jon, is yours still holding up?
                        First Toyota E153 swop in a FWD Mazda in South Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by FE Turbo View Post
                          I did my E153 gearbox conversion in my Mazda Rustler (a 323 pickup)with FE3 engine and Turbo during 2004. It did 385bhp on the previous proper visit to the dyno. The clutch, gearbox and driveshafts are still 100%.

I used to pull the previous G-series gearbox so frequently, that - could do a gearbox / clutch swap in less than 45minutes. Have not needed to pull the E153 gearbox for any clutch or box issues.

Jon, is yours still holding up?
                          Pics of said Rustler?

Jon's car hasn't been driven in about two years last I knew. Engine issues.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...-run_18851.htm

Comment

Here are some pics
                            Attached Files

Comment

That makes my pants fit funny... Awesome car/truck! Sure wish we had those here.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...-run_18851.htm

Comment

Do you know of anyone else who did the E153 gearbox swap?

Comment

Working...
                                X