No announcement yet.

Midnight shadows worklog part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUOTE:What would be the best way to do the gauges? What works,what won't on the protege cluster? I'm guessing only fuel. So that means I'll probably end up doing a custom cluster using a 5" tach and 5" speedo then I'll just utilize my GTR center console cluster to monitor fuel and water temp. I'd probably end up using a thermoswitch to turn the rad fan(s) on. Man this is getting costly

ANSWER:

1)MX-3 Interior Harness:

For simplicity I am going to use the MX-3 Cluster and MX-3 interior wiring harness. That way you know it will work. Only minor things have to be spliced-in changed. only the light sockets and the hazard switch I think. I have wired a number of cars from scratch, but why re-invent when it is a plug and play?? This is a big enough project without adding VooDoo wiring to the plan. The only down side will be my 323 will have about 98% less options then The MX-3 GS had. Quite a few option I don't have plugs, but in reality what is the harm in having a bunch of unused plugs?? 2LBS more wire in your car?? Another bonus (I think) is to use the MX-3 tilt column it has adjustable delay wipers. (at no extra charge) LOL

2)Modified 323/Prot interior wiring harness:

What I know about the Protege/323 Harness: The Speedo will not work 323/PRO are cable and MX's are Electronic, the 323/pro tach will not read properly for V6 RPM. Somebody very knowledgeable on V6 swaps and not-so English speaking tried to explain to me that you could run the MX-3 cluster with the 323/Prot interior harness by simply wiring up the speed sensor. (Usually just a 3 wire hook-up). Not sure on the tach. If you had a MX-3 wiring diagram you could wire MX-3 tach pretty easy too. Thinkin' the gas gauge should work. You could check the sender with a OHM meter to make sure.

3)Modified 323/Prot interior harness with aftermarket gauges:

This would be easy but expensive. I have all Autometer's in my other car and from my experience they don't just fall in. Lots of work to get them to fit in there and look nice, and vague instructions that expect that you are putting them in a 69 Camaro. I went though 3 Autometer electronic speedo's before I gave up and put there cable operated speedo in my Mustang. It reads wrong, I could devote my life to finding the proper speedometer gears, but, I gave up, I use a calibrated sticky note on my dash or my TOM TOM navi for a speedo LOL

No clear-cut answer on this one, just do which ever one your comfortable with, out of the three there is no "wrong" way to do it.

Fan: I am going to use this one. I have it in the Mustang (for the last 15 years) it has never failed me. A probe slips between the fins of the rad. It turns on the fan at 190 degrees and turns it off at 170 degrees. You can wire it direct so it cools the car after you turn it off too.

Free Shipping - Mr. Gasket 1992 with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fan Switches at Summit Racing.
    Last edited by IMACHU2; 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM. Reason: CUNT SEPLL
    Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Very good points. I just thought about time wise. Guess I'll be ripping it apart and getting that harness. After seeing I'd be spending 200+ just for the speedo then having to buy other items to get it working it just doesn't seem cost efficient to me. Simplicity is how I like things. If you find out exactly what needs to be spliced in please PM me or let me know somehow .

Going now to look into that fan
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

dan did this already to his first 323 that ray has now.

he even swapped in the mx3 cluster, go ask him about it.

at least you 2 have parts cars (proper way ftw!) and can get the project done

SO NO EXCUSES! haha
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
          Very good points. I just thought about time wise. Guess I'll be ripping it apart and getting that harness. After seeing I'd be spending 200+ just for the speedo then having to buy other items to get it working it just doesn't seem cost efficient to me. Simplicity is how I like things. If you find out exactly what needs to be spliced in please PM me or let me know somehow .

Going now to look into that fan
          Depends on how you look at it, at my shop labour is cheap Full aftermarket gauges your looking at around $600.00, and they are generally a pain in the ass anyway LOL. I would rather save myself the $600.00 and spend a weekend putting the MX-3 harness in knowing it will work when I am done. Rather then talkin tach adapters with some goober on the "help" desk. I think making the 323/prot harness work would be a challenge. Faced with the MX-3 as a known and the 323/prot as a challenge, I pick Known, all those option I don't have plugs will be behind the dash or under the carpet anyway. I will keep track of the splices for you(s).

Or you could do all these things first so I can learn from your mistakes

Jason's MX-326GS time line
          1.Suspension rebuild (in progress)
          2.Brakes, Wheel bearings finish to rolling chassis status.
          3.Plumb brake, clutch and gas lines. Re-install gas tank
          4.Wiring harness install and re-install dash board
          5.Mock up rad, rad hoses with MX-3 V6 engine sitting in it.
          6.Prepare transmission (remove trans from 1.8 V6 Clean and paint)
          7.Buy a KLZE and put a water pump and timing belt on it and put it in.
          8.Test fire KLZE, then send the ECU to be Probeinated (sounds dirty)
          9.Make a air intake system.
          10.Put all the body panels back on and paint it (Flat black)
          11.Put an old man stereo system in it. (4 speakers, a deck, a amp, a 10" sub)12.Put the interior back together.
          13.Get JDM/EDM parts like the signal lights so I can be like all the kool kids.
          Last edited by IMACHU2; 11-02-2009, 09:33 PM. Reason: CNA'T SEPLL

sigpic

Comment

so whats goin in after the kl, fe3? Lol just kiddin, looking good and cant wait to see her done!!
            DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Here's a good question....

I have power windows. Will the mx3 harness just plug into my door harnesses? I'm not even sure if that's part of that harness or not but posed a good question
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

should be seperate afaik
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                  Here's a good question....

I have power windows. Will the mx3 harness just plug into my door harnesses? I'm not even sure if that's part of that harness or not but posed a good question
                  That is a good question. I can shoot you a photo of the MX-3 power window plug (car side). Doors are long gone. (Sold them 10 minutes after I brought the car home).

sigpic

Comment

We need to talk to this dude!

He knows of MX-3 cluster hook-up while still using the Prot/323 interior harness. (Spanish Dude). He would know exactly what needs to be done.
                    Get your Puerto Rico posse on this LOL He could be very valuable to our organization of Club Protege gangsta's

sigpic

Comment

We must be on the same wave length lol. I was brainstorming that last night as I lay in bed waiting to fall asleep. Hit me up later and I'll tell you what I'm thinking

Edit: haha. 12,000th post and its posting on my own thread. I'm such a whore
                      Last edited by Turpro; 11-05-2009, 03:42 AM.
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

slut lol
                        sigpic

Comment

Brainstorming once again

Details will come once/if it gets figured out
                          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Trust me people, you don't even want to know

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IMACHU2 View Post
                              Trust me people, you don't even want to know
                              Muhahaha. It has begun
                              Attached Files
                              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

So I finally had a few hrs set aside for the car before football started. Interior is outs and all body panels are off. Rad and some a/c crap. Its getting there. Its a project that's for sure. On to the pictures
                                Attached Files
                                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Working...
                                X