Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking good, looks like my v6 project wasnt the only one moving under its own power today, mine left the driveway thouht haha> shhhh dont tells the cops
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

I wanted to take mine for a rip too, but I don't have seat brackets. The seats are just floating around in there. I rent the garage, it is in a pretty fancy neighborhood FULL of car haters, so I decided not to press my luck. My old garage was in a blue collar working neighborhood and project cars were welcome, my neighbors used to poke in to see progress and shoot the breeze. The guy next door used to own a body shop and he used to sit in his lawn chair and watch, laugh and comment on my automotive adventures.
      Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

lol i hear ya, so good on you for fighting the urge. my neighborhood is pretty good, we hav a couple of car haters but in my subdivision we have a few car guys, a couple doors down a guy has a 68 camaro and a dart, down further a guy with a 68 chevelle, around the corner a 50s merc, a guy with an early eighties supra, others with old minis, one with an old mach 1 stang and countless bikes and projects. so overall a pretty good place to be
        91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Although I did not work on the car this weekend, I did manage to collect some stuff. My Son and I managed to cut the windshield out of my parts car. I also got some seat brackets out of the parts car too. I got some goodies from the Mazda dealership today too. I bought a new antenna, door trim/weather strips, and all the foam /rubber stuff to put the windshield in.

sigpic

Comment

hey I'm driving through Guelph on Thursday (22nd) around 5, want me to swing by with that front lip?? let me know man
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

YES!! Painting my Sheot box really soon, and it would be perfect timing for the lip!

sigpic

Comment

Got a new front 626 lip, Thanks to Mazda_Powered! I also got hoodpins and lanyards.

sigpic

Comment

Nooooooo, Aero catch hood pins.
                  Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                  "Who Dey"

Comment

nice phat lip!! store looks good too btw man.
                    -Jack

Comment

ohh hood pins .. hey maybe you can answer this .. i know old roadrunners ran 4 hoodpins on the factory fiberglass hood . i wonder of a pro would pass safety with 4 hoodpins and no hinges ?

Comment

I'd call up a shop to check Graham lol, don't think Jason does safeties
                        -Jack

Comment

Bomdoutscourt: Actually not a fan of the look of the aero catch ones.

Mazdanoob: I would talk to the mechanic you intend to use for your safety check. Every mechanic has their own personal spin on what is "safe". Watched a show recently where they took the same car to ten garages for a safety check, every shop came up with something different. LOL Which I can understand, for example one mechanic may have never seen a tire failure and let the weather cracked tires go, another may have seen a brake failures and be super stick on the brake pad thickness'

This may help
                          The following items shall be inspected, and the motor vehicle shall be
                          denied an SSC if:

?In the body and interior:

a) any bumper, fender or mudguard has been removed or is mounted insecurely;
                          b) any body part has protruding sharp edges that could be hazardous to
                          pedestrians or passengers;
                          c) any hood latch or passenger door does not operate as intended;
                          d) the driver's sun visor does not operate properly;
                          e) any occupant seat is insecure or fails to maintain its adjustment;
                          f) the inside and/or outside rearview mirrors are loose, cracked or
                          have any significant reductions of the reflective surface, or the
                          inside mirror (where required) is missing;
                          g) where required, the seat belt assemblies are missing, insecure,
                          damaged, inoperative or do not function as intended;
                          h) the frame or any structural unitized member is broken or cracked;
                          has any loose or missing connecting fasteners; or is perforated with
                          rust that could downgrade the safety of the vehicle; or
                          i) The underbody, including the trunk floor pan, is perforated by rust
                          or damaged or has any opening that may allow entry of exhaust gas.

Glazing
                          a) any glass, where required, is other than safety glass;
                          b) any glazing material has exposed sharp edges, a missing part or is insecure;
                          c) any safety glass in the windshield, or to the left or right of the
                          driver, has been replaced with any vision-obstructing material,
                          or is clouded or fogged so as to affect the driver's vision;
                          d) the windshield has any star, crack or stone chip in the area swept
                          by the driver's wiper blade that could affect the driver's
                          vision; or
                          e) the driver's window does not open freely.
                          Lighting and Electrical
                          a) any prescribed lamp fails to operate or interferes with any other circuit;
                          b) any turn signal indicator lamp fails to operate properly;
                          c) any lamp or reflector is loose or missing in whole or in part, or
                          is discoloured;
                          d) any headlamp is covered with a coloured lacquer or is fitted with
                          any device affecting brightness (e.g. headlamp shields);
                          e) any headlamp shutter or retracting headlamp fails to operate
                          properly or is not secured in the fully-open position;
                          f) any headlamp is aligned incorrectly;
                          g) the headlamp dimmer switch or high-beam indicating light fails to
                          operate as intended;
                          h) the horn fails to operate or is insecure on its mount;
                          i) the windshield wiper/washer assemblies and the heating and
                          defrosting systems do not function as originally intended;
                          j) where originally fitted, the neutral safety switch has been removed
                          or allows the starter motor to operate in any other than the
                          neutral and park positions; or
                          k) the speedometer is not in good working order.

"Prescribed Lights" is the phrase used to cover the lighting
                          requirements of vehicles for the purposes of the HTA, and applies to
                          all vehicles, including passenger cars, light and heavy trucks and
                          trailers. "Prescribed Lights" vary with vehicle dimensions and include
                          the lights listed below:

Headlamps: no more than four, and shall be white or amber in colour;

Turn signals: shall be self illuminating;

Stop lights: shall be red or yellow in colour;

Tail Lights: shall be red in colour;

Licence plate: rear plate must be illuminated by a white light;

Reflectors: shall be red in colour, located at the rear and as close
                          as practical to the outside of the vehicle body (most tail light
                          lenses incorporate a reflective lens in their construction); and

Side markers: one on each side near the front, green or amber in
                          colour, and one on each side near the rear, red in colour.

NOTE: Although side marker lights are not required for certification
                          of a motor vehicle with a length of 6.1 metres (20 feet) or less, the
                          Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) requires all vehicles
                          manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, to be equipped with side
                          marker lights.

Engine and Controls
                          a) with the engine running, there is any visible leakage in the fuel
                          system (the fuel tank does not have to be filled before inspection for
                          leaks);
                          b) any attachment or component of the fuel system is insecure or
                          missing, including a proper fuel filler cap;
                          c) the accelerator linkage fails to return the engine speed to idle
                          when the pedal is released; or,
                          d) the power steering belt is defective, incorrectly adjusted or missing.
                          Exhaust System and Manifolds
                          a) any exhaust component is missing or mounted insecurely;
                          b) any exhaust leakage is present, other than from the manufacturer's
                          drain holes;
                          c) any exhaust component is within the occupant compartment, or is so
                          located or unguarded that any occupant may be burned
                          by entering or leaving the vehicle; or
                          d) the exhaust system has been shortened or modified from original, so
                          as to fail to direct the exhaust beyond the underbody of
                          the occupant compartment or luggage compartment.
                          NOTE: Although emission control devices are not required to be
                          inspected for the purpose of issuing an 550, the motor vehicle will be
                          in violation of the Environmental Protection Act if any component of
                          the emission control system is inoperative, defective, has been
                          removed, or fails to function as intended.

Trailer Hitch
                          a) any trailer hitch or attachment is damaged, excessively worn or
                          insecure as to affect its proper operation; or,
                          b) any trailer hitch lock assembly fails to operate as intended.
                          Steering and Suspension
                          a) any visible leakage of fluid is present in the power steering
                          system or the reservoir fluid level is too low;
                          b) the steering column, box or couplings are excessively worn or loose
                          on their mountings, or parts are missing or loose;
                          c) any steering linkage joint is worn or loose;
                          d) any steering system, or suspension locking device or clamp is
                          missing, loose or worn so as to affect its proper operation;
                          e) the front wheels are visibly out of alignment;
                          f) the front wheels fail to turn from full right to full left freely;
                          g) free movement of the steering wheel exceeds manufacturer's limits;
                          h) the power steering system does not operate as intended;
                          i) any component, or attachment of the suspension system, or its
                          supports, is excessively worn, corroded, broken, bent,
                          cracked, loose, disconnected or missing;
                          j) the front or rear axles are tracking improperly so as to affect
                          handling the vehicle;
                          k) any ball joint is worn beyond manufacturer's limits; or
                          I) any wheel or axle bearing is excessively worn, loose or damaged.

Wheels and Tires
                          NOTE: Only those wheels/tires installed on axles are inspected.
                          a) any wheel-retaining device is worn, defective, loose or missing;
                          b) any wheel is cracked, excessively bent or has been repaired by welding;
                          c) any wheel spoke is loose, broken or missing;
                          d) tire shows any exposed cord;
                          e) any abnormal bump, bulge or knot is present;
                          f) any tire makes contact with any vehicle component;
                          g) any tire bears the markings "not for highway use" or "farm use only";
                          h) any tire is worn beyond the minimum allowed tread depth; e.g.
                          built-in wear bar indicators are showing on two adjacent major tread
                          grooves at three equal spacings around the circumference of the tire;
                          i) any tire is of a smaller size than vehicle manufacturer's specified
                          minimum size;
                          j) any mixture of 50 to 60 series are installed on the front axle and
                          any other series on the rear;
                          k) any tire differs in construction type from any other tire on the
                          same axle; or,
                          I) except on a vehicle fitted with dual rear tires, any mixture of
                          radial tires are on the front axle and belted-bias or bias ply tires
                          are installed on the rear axle.

Brakes
                          a) any fluid or vacuum leakage is present in the braking system;
                          b) the brake fluid in the brake master cylinder is below the
                          manufacturer's recommended minimum level;
                          c) any brake tubing has heavy corrosion scaling;
                          d) any vacuum or hydraulic hose or tube is damaged, insecure, missing
                          or chafes against any part of the vehicle;
                          e) with the foot brake applied, the brake pedal moves toward the floor;
                          f) the brakes, including the parking brake, are not adjusted properly;
                          g) any brake, including the parking brake, fails to release
                          immediately when the pedal or lever is released;
                          h) any mechanical, vacuum or hydraulic component is missing, cracked,
                          loose, badly worn, seized or damaged so as to affect
                          its operation;
                          i) any hydraulic component is leaking fluid;
                          j) with the motor running and the brake pedal applied, the brake
                          failure warning light comes on;
                          k) with the vacuum depleted from the power brake (by depressing the
                          brake pedal three or four times), the motor shut off and
                          the brake pedal depressed, the pedal fails to move momentarily towards
                          the floor when the motor is started;
                          I) any brake drum or rotor is worn beyond the manufacturer's limits,
                          or the friction surfaces
                          are damaged mechanically other than from normal wear;
                          m) any brake rotor cooling fin is cracked or broken;
                          n) any bonded brake lining is thinner than 1.5 millimeters (1/16 inch)
                          at its thinnest point;
                          o) any riveted brake lining is thinner than 0.8 millimeters (1/32
                          inch) at its thinnest point;
                          p) any brake lining is broken or loose on its shoe or pad;
                          q) any brake lining is contaminated;
                          r) any wheel hub seal, axle seal or oil retainer is missing or leaking;
                          s) the parking brake does not hold properly and release fully;
                          t) where originally fitted, the dual-circuit brake warning lamp fails
                          to operate as intended; or,
                          u) on the road test, the braking system does not brake evenly or stop
                          the vehicle within the required distance.
                          Some of the standards contained in this PAGE rely on the mechanical
                          experience and sound judgment of the inspection mechanic, based on the
                          inspection standards as set down in the Highway Traffic Act.

Mazdapwered: Thanks again for bringing the phat lip down, sorry I missed you. Hopefully be bolting that baby on this weekend.

sigpic

Comment

Worked on the car all weekend.

Painted the bottom of the hood

Painted the under hood part of the fenders.

Bondo glassed then smoothed out the welded in patch where the third brake light was.

I added a roof spoiler with a third brake light. Drilling the holes was a tad scary LOL

Fixed a rust hole in the hood

Installed the hood pins. (no room for a latch with the kustom rad)

Primed the beast, it is going to be coated with semi gloss black Plasti Dip, this is just black primer so far.

I was happy with how some of the major repairs turned out. The rocker, quarter and hood repairs look perfect. I uncovered a invisible dent and made a few boo boo's in the rest of it. One opps was some glue residue from the moldings and a sloppy bond edge on the front of the hood. I am going to fix the dent and my other mistakes, spot putty it and give it another shot of flat black primmer before "paint"

sigpic

Comment

looking sharp, think you are going to be done waaay before i am

Comment

Thanks, it feels like it will never be finished, but the "To do list" is getting shorter. I just got paid and I am broke again, I swear a crack cocaine addiction would be cheaper.

To do list:
                                -Fix body work boo boo's, re-prime then "paint"
                                -Instal glass, glue in windsheild
                                -Install Hella "Black Magic" 5" Hella driving lights (like these)

-"Nite-shade" all the lights
                                -Paint Harlequin interior panels black (the interior parts came from four different cars they are green, Turquoise and grey)
                                -Wire up rear wiper and washer
                                -Wire up an "old man" stereo system. Thinking CD player with a usb port, 6" speakers front, 6x9" speakers rear, and a 10" sub with a wee amp.
                                Last edited by IMACHU2; 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X