Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Familia Build. From Purchase to Start line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It had been a wet lead up to the day of the event. So much so, I queried if it would be run. But no, there were a few wet bits and one stage was cut in half due to the slippery clay, but other than that the roads were very grippy.

We pace noted the weekend before and identified some slippery bits. They were indeed slippery and in some case had a lot of standing water.

The start came and we lined up 15th. Our only hope was to move up a few positions. The car is not geared for some of the open roads and its max speed in 4th is about 170. Ok for the tight twisty stuff.

SS1 showed an error in the car. A miss at about 5-6000k right in the peak of the torque band. I had chased this in the previous weeks and thought I had it sorted, replacing plugs, leads and coil. It certainly stopped the car from powering through corners or away from starts.
    About 1/4 to 1/2 throttle was all I could use to get it through that zone.

The first 3 stages were run well. I decided to attack the jumps in SS1 with some bigger spherical items this year, and was rewarded with the car landing flat, and quicker times. We were 15 seconds quicker on the first stage than the previous year even with the miss. I also had trouble with the pads. The 20 series from Wilwood are CRAP. Speaking with Barry Lowe who drove the VB commode, he suggested J spec. They would have to be better than what I am running and his top 5 result was proof in the braking department.

I committed more to the notes this year, and it made a massive improvement in my stage times.

At first service, we did a bolt check and tweaked the suspension slightly. What an improvement that made. Car sat better on the road and drove well (other than that fricken miss).

SS 4-6 were repeats. SS1 saw a similar time to the first run, even though we had to slow for the Longs propped across the road who had rolled their 2 door STi. They should snap the one for sale up on here.

SS5 had some photographer in a white civic park his car sideways in a runoff area. It looked like someone had gone off. The outside of a corner is not a good parking spot.

Service and new lights were fitted and brakes bled. The pads were still crap. One of the solder joints had dried out in the lights. A test the previous night did not show this, but come race day not all bulbs worked. A quick tweak to try and fix and still no luck.

7-9 were run. We got off to a good start with Damo starting on page 2 of the notes. First call I knew as right 5, but Damo called left 3. Say what . There was then a caution left 4 then 50 jump. Oh he says , we were already a k into the stage. The next corner threw me. A right 5 over crest 100 caution right 4. It just did not feel right. Even in noting I did not like it, so went through it with caution. The miss was adding to my woes. We were running at the worst time. It was dark, but lights did nothing. Those supposed great bulbs in the standard headlights were crap. I would change them at service. I played around with the lights at the start of SS9 and got the lights to work with cable ties and electrical tape. Roast was good along the ridge line, as Damo was on the notes. As we crossed the finish line, Damo asked why I was slowing as he was reading the noted for the next few corners. I said, FF was in the dip.

Back at service. We changed the bulbs and did a couple of spot checks and we were away after refuel.

SS10. Damo was on the notes this time and we set off. The long straight through dip in this stage had us in 5th gear. No changing down for the corners and we approached the Caution right 3 tightens into left 3 very quickly. We were even faster approaching the flying finish. Too much speed saw us cut the imaginary beam backwards. Much laughing was done, only to realise the camera had not been started. The only stage we missed......

SS11 was good some nice flow and the new lights were excellent. Amazing what 10 years of light development can achieve.
    SS12 Roast and last stage of the day. We set off. That miss was still :swear: me off. Onto the ridge line and Damo was off the notes. He did find his place again after a corner or 2, so all was good. A quick laugh and away we went. As soon as he is off, he lets me know, and I have no problem with it. Out there to get big air and do reasonable skids with half power.
    Flashes on the jump halfway through the stage made it hard to see the next call Dip into R5 L5 but we powered on.

We finished the event. No scratches, no dents and the car in one piece. 13th O/R and 3rd in class was justified with the state the car was in. Here's hoping we can track that miss down. We will also change the pads. It was also my first full event with a HANS device. Trying to get it right is tricky, and does take some getting used too. I have to put it and my helmet on before getting into the car. Once in the stage, you do not know it is there. Exiting stages and onto the road, you need to loosen your belts so you can turn to see if traffic is coming, but otherwise no real hassles. I think I might invest in the gel pads instead, as the cloth covers bunch up slightly.

Many thanks to Service crew chief Fiona. You did a great job all day. Also to Fordy and Craig (even with your dud shoulder after surgery) and Ben from West Racing. A tar baby normally and this was his first rally. He enjoyed it greatly. He could not believe how friendly everyone was and how we spoke to one another. Unlike circuit racing were you hide in your garage and cover the car as soon as someone looks at it. He is a convert, and is already trying to source a car for him and his dad.

Congrats to the winners and thanks also to the volunteers for their time and the local footy team for putting on the food and bar services. The mutton roll with gravy at the finish was excellent. If I have no car next year, I'm coming at least for one of those rolls.

Also, a big shout out to the Greens. John and his son had traveled up from the Peninsula to do a road closure. Here's hoping they can get an event up, as we will certainly travel for it.

Comment

Working...
    X