This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some work on the cluster today.
    Some of the dash lights were burnt out so I swapped in some spares I had. I was also able to check the gauges and sensors circuits. It seems to be in good shape now.
    Attached Files
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

very good to see progress
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        very good to see progress
        Thanks man.
        I have to make a run to pick up a new plug. I guess I was fiddling around with it too much because, well I broke the wire off, then broke the plug into bits. It crumbled like dried toast so I feel better about replacing it.

The wire that goes to the sensor is black with a green stripe. The wire that goes to the gauge is black with an orange stripe. I know they're connected somehow because when I jumped the sensor, the gauge moved. I'm just not sure how yet.

The mysteries are falling. It just takes time. I also discovered the part number for pinion seals. Now to see if they'll work and if I can even get them.
        Last edited by 1st Gen; 03-05-2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

glad to hear you'll have a working heat gauge finally lol. Lookin good tho man, I'm almost down to the final details myself.
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Progress?
            Heat sensor still doesn't work but I've got it narrowed down to somewhere between the fire wall and the sensor. Yes, the circuit works, just in reverse still.

Been pouring over wire schematics to try and figure out how to hook up the wastegate solenoid. I suck at reading schematics so I guess I'll end up looking at my other car with the GTX harness.

I got to looking at a pic of the engine bay before the motor was in and noticed some leakage from the banjo bolt holding one of the lines to the steering rack. I'll try and take a closer look to see if indeed that is where the fluid is coming from. A little steel wool and some torque might just fix my problem.

I got an Ebay 2.5" braided flex pipe coming and a couple sets of flanges. I still need a muffler and some hangers but I can pick those up any time. I can't believe how expensive steel hangers are. It's ridiculous.

I picked up some seat belt buckles so I need to install them.

It's about time to start replacing the dash and putting the front end back together.

Comment

instead of hangers, why not get a 3/8" steel rod and make your own? that's what we'll be doing in my wagon
              sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
              92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
                instead of hangers, why not get a 3/8" steel rod and make your own? that's what we'll be doing in my wagon
                Damn straight. That's exactly what I'm going to do.

Comment

Keep staring at those diagrams. Eventually they start to make sense.
                  1990 Protege 4WD
                  GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Need from j/y
                    bail ring for head light
                    plug for front marker light
                    rear trunk deck, if cheap and easy
                    drivers side LX door panel, and/or power window switch
                    manual wing window
                    windshield

Stupid heat sensor thread
                    Last edited by 1st Gen; 04-03-2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Woke up today thinking of the project. It's supposed to be the hottest day of the year so far so I'm getting the bug. I spent some good time updating my word.doc getting those lists and links current to my status. I did a lot of research about tires, welding SS, and sourcing odd stuff. It's been a good morning.

Comment

All the lights work now.
                        I have all the parts and tools for the exhaust system build.
                        I made the decision to pull the harness out and do all the work that needs to be done. I still have sensors to hook up as well as the diagnosis problem.
                        I have a time frame for new tires so I can get my winter tires back on this car. Probably the next couple of weeks.

I was thinking about trying to replace the seals in the steering rack with something from an LX but I just don't know. Looping the lines sure has appeal but just don't want to settle, not without trying.

I'm getting a little rust on the replacement bell housing bolts so might clean them up and spray some paint on them. The windshield wipers cancel has to be fixed, and the radio antenna is a bother.

I have vacation scheduled but that's not fore a few months. Any work done is going to have to be on weekends and after work.

I really want to get the LSD installed but don't know how much time to schedule for it. Am I going to have to tear apart the whole rear suspension apart and take the axles completely out, or can I just loosen all that and get the slack I need. That may be a vacation thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                          The unknown for me is what was done to it before I got it. The dash cluster was modded with a home made light array that didn't go though the plug. I'm not sure if that would explain why the dash lights don't work now but I think it's a good place to start looking.
                          I'm a little late to this conversation, but I thought it would be worth chiming in. The home-made lighting was my doing, although it's been long enough now that I can't remember how much I did. I very specifically remember having some trouble with the LX cluster when it went in (stock cluster had no tach, see this thread), and I have attempted to change the color in the dash of every car I've owned since 2003, but I can't find any documentation on it which I was usually pretty good about.

I can probably tell you more if I look at it at some point, if it's even still an issue.

Comment

I started the car up for a time today to test a VAF I have. The exhaust isn't done yet but there's enough there to make it sound sweet and honey. I'm getting greedy about my time now. I want it on the road.

I deliberately over engineered the cooling system, clutch, and exhaust system. The SMIC is a cinch to upgrade and the welder i now own offers some nice options for a FMIC. I think what I'm getting at is that I'd like to do a VF11 hybrid with a complimentary FMIC. That's not for a while yet so we'll see.

It turns out you don't need the dash cluster installed to start the car. Figures I guess.

Comment

glad to hear you have it fired up & running
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Fix the leaking wind shield/body work thread

I started this thread earlier this week but it will be a while before I can get to it. I can't reassemble the rest of the car until I get the wiring issues worked out. I'd really like to get the interior put in and just get the car mostly together. Eh, soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X